C9 flashing effect on near black content

Love4sound

To all oled owners have you ever noticed a flashing effect on scenes where you have black backgrounds? I noticed this in my 65 inch c9 and when i googled it seems like this is an issue with oleds where both sony and LG accepted and agreed to fix this in 2018. This is clearly noticeable with near black content or particularly during scenes that fades to black. Also during end credits of a movie where the words move to top from the bottom in the middle of the screen the background should be pure black. This is the case in most movies but last night during the end credits of maleficent 2 the end credits for nearly 2-3 minutes appeared to be not deep black but give a flashing effect and then goes deep black after 2-3 minutes. I also checked many contents where it had pure blacks in the back ground but instead of providing deep blacks the tv only produced a flashing effect. It feels like a Qled or a good LCD panel that can handle blacks well and not like an oled which should produce deep blacks. I am not sure if the LG technicians will be knowledgeable to accept this. They are just going to say its the content and its going to be a waste of my time booking a call.

Have you calibrated your display? Does reducing backlighting make a difference?

MaSh

Have you calibrated your display? Does reducing backlighting make a difference?

MaSh
It is an OLED display which wont have any back light. I have set up my tv correctly and this doesn't seem like a set up issue

It is an OLED display which wont have any back light. I have set up my tv correctly and this doesn't seem like a set up issue

Mmmm...what's your brightness setting? Was this happening in SDR or HDR?

Trying to understand if this the chrominance overshoot issue. 2018 sets suffered more from it. Infact, I used this to return the Metz OLED to Amazon. However, I haven't spotted this on C9 in like 3 months of heavy use. If I run the chrominance overshoot test, it's there, but it's suppressed well enough to not show up in content.

If black isn't black for you, I'm wondering if you have raised the brightness setting, as that's essentially the black level setting.

Mmmm...what's your brightness setting? Was this happening in SDR or HDR?

Trying to understand if this the chrominance overshoot issue. 2018 sets suffered more from it. Infact, I used this to return the Metz OLED to Amazon. However, I haven't spotted this on C9 in like 3 months of heavy use. If I run the chrominance overshoot test, it's there, but it's suppressed well enough to not show up in content.

If black isn't black for you, I'm wondering if you have raised the brightness setting, as that's essentially the black level setting.
I noticed this both in SDR and HDR contents. But no matter what brightness settings i have shouldn't black's be deep in an oled? Oled light is at 70 and brightness is at 50. The flashing effect is very much evident.

I noticed this both in SDR and HDR contents. But no matter what brightness settings i have shouldn't black's be deep in an oled? Oled light is at 70 and brightness is at 50. The flashing effect is very much evident.

No, man. That's not how it works. You can raise blacks and whites. Contrast is basically white level setting and Brightness is the black level setting. For me, in SDR, brightness at 52 is the accurate setting with perfect blacks without black crush. If I go to 53, blacks are no longer. While they might seem so in some content, in others this flashing happens at 53. So for your panel, it seems like 50 is 53 for mine.

However, in HDR, 50 is the correct setting for me. That's why you'll have calibrate both separately, but it does seem like your panel can benefit from lowering it to 49 in HDR too as you're getting the flashing in that too.

What you can do to calibrate is to go to YouTube, open up perfect black video, raise OLED light to 100, and then change brightness till black is perfectly black. One point above and it's no longer black. Do this at light and OLED light at 100, as otherwise you might not be able to spot that blacks are now subtly grey.

Similarly for HDR also you can get calibration slides. Panel to panel variance is always there in OLED. That's why every review site mentions to not copy calibration settings.

Also, were you watching via internal apps or nividia shield? I have seen a few posts in forums about raised black issues via apple TV and shield too. So you'll have to go step by step and get to the root issue.

No, man. That's not how it works. You can raise blacks and whites. Contrast is basically white level setting and Brightness is the black level setting. For me, in SDR, brightness at 52 is the accurate setting with perfect blacks without black crush. If I go to 53, blacks are no longer. While they might seem so in some content, in others this flashing happens at 53. So for your panel, it seems like 50 is 53 for mine.

However, in HDR, 50 is the correct setting for me. That's why you'll have calibrate both separately, but it does seem like your panel can benefit from lowering it to 49 in HDR too as you're getting the flashing in that too.

What you can do to calibrate is to go to YouTube, open up perfect black video, raise OLED light to 100, and then change brightness till black is perfectly black. One point above and it's no longer black. Do this at light and OLED light at 100, as otherwise you might not be able to spot that blacks are now subtly grey.

Similarly for HDR also you can get calibration slides. Panel to panel variance is always there in OLED. That's why every review site mentions to not copy calibration settings.

Also, were you watching via internal apps or nividia shield? I have seen a few posts in forums about raised black issues via apple TV and shield too. So you'll have to go step by step and get to the root issue.
I did all the checks through sheild. Ok so for SDR i can calibrate using a youtube video by increasing the oled light to 100 and then reduce the brightness till i get deep blacks. Then should i reduce the oled light back to 70 or leave it at 100? And what about HDR? What slide should i use?

I did all the checks through sheild. Ok so for SDR i can calibrate using a youtube video by increasing the oled light to 100 and then reduce the brightness till i get deep blacks. Then should i reduce the oled light back to 70 or leave it at 100? And what about HDR? What slide should i use?

Yes! You can do that for SDR. After you have figured out the accurate black level, brightness setting, you can reduce OLED light to whatever level you want. You can do that for HDR too, but you'll need a suitable HDR video for that. Avsforum have a thread on it, but I haven't used them because I didn't have to change anything. Of course, you can also be savvy and use a black image from the HDR movie that was problematic for you. Just pause it when the screen is black and tweak brightness. That's of course a hack that'll just work for setting the minimum black level. HDR calibration videos can allow for better turning. Try them out. There are SDR calibration videos on avsforum too, but apart from black level setting, rest is pretty fine at default onthe LG OLED. Contrast I set to 80 to minimize ABL, as mentioned by Rtings. Not much of a difference for me between 80 and the default 85.

Yes! You can do that for SDR. After you have figured out the accurate black level, brightness setting, you can reduce OLED light to whatever level you want. You can do that for HDR too, but you'll need a suitable HDR video for that. Avsforum have a thread on it, but I haven't used them because I didn't have to change anything. Of course, you can also be savvy and use a black image from the HDR movie that was problematic for you. Just pause it when the screen is black and tweak brightness. That's of course a hack that'll just work for setting the minimum black level. HDR calibration videos can allow for better turning. Try them out. There are SDR calibration videos on avsforum too, but apart from black level setting, rest is pretty fine at default onthe LG OLED. Contrast I set to 80 to minimize ABL, as mentioned by Rtings. Not much of a difference for me between 80 and the default 85.
Ok i will try this and see. But i highly doubt it is due to these settings. cause brightness is at 50 which should be ideal. Also in many dark scenes i see a flashing effect. Later tonight ill just give it a shot and update

Ok i will try this and see. But i highly doubt it is due to these settings. cause brightness is at 50 which should be ideal. Also in many dark scenes i see a flashing effect. Later tonight ill just give it a shot and update

Don't assume; calibrate. It's clearly not if you have raised blacks. 52 is the correct one for my panel. It was for my previous panel too actually. I have told you how to set it to the accurate level. Do it tonight and then check. I haven't seen any flashing on the C9 in actual content in three months, but it was pretty visible on the Metz OLED. I checked all the problematic scenes I had noticed on the Metz OLED; C9 was free from it.

Don't assume; calibrate. It's clearly not if you have raised blacks. 52 is the correct one for my panel. It was for my previous panel too actually. I have told you how to set it to the accurate level. Do it tonight and then check. I have seen any flashing on the C9 in actual content in three months, but it was pretty visible on the Metz OLED. I checked all the problematic scenes I had noticed on the Metz OLED; C9 was free from it.
Yeah sure i will try the method. In maleficent 2 end credits it was clearly visible for the first two minutes before it corrected to deep blacks. I will check that scene

Yeah sure i will try the method. In maleficent 2 end credits it was clearly visible for the first two minutes before it corrected to deep blacks. I will check that scene

Check it out at 49 Brightness then tonight. I had flashing in the black bars too during Gerald's Game on the Metz OLED too. Only solution was massive black crush. Sucked. C9 is way better. Didn't see any flashing at the correct setting for black on my panel; 52.

Check it out at 49 Brightness then tonight. I had flashing in the black bars too during Gerald's Game on the Metz OLED too. Only solution was massive black crush. Sucked. C9 is way better. Didn't see any flashing at the correct setting for black on my panel; 52.
I noticed flashing in black bars to with many contents. Is this some serious issue or can be ignored?

I noticed flashing in black bars to with many contents. Is this some serious issue or can be ignored?

Your Brightness setting is raised then. You need to set it to the accurate setting. Then it won't happen. I haven't seen it on C9 even once. It shouldn't happen. It's a major defect otherwise.

Perfect black is what you should have. Just set the black level using a black slide, and then check. Test first, and then we can discuss further. I'm 99% sure it won't happen if you set the brightness to have accurate black levels. 1% is the Nvidia shield causing issues in case you're watching from that. We can check that later. Step by step elimination is the easiest.

Your Brightness setting is raised then. You need to set it to the accurate setting. Then it won't happen. I haven't seen it on C9 even once. It shouldn't happen. It's a major defect otherwise.

Perfect black is what you should have. Just set the black level using a black slide, and then check. Test first, and then we can discuss further. I'm 99% sure it won't happen if you set the brightness to have accurate black levels. 1% is the Nvidia shield causing issues in case you're watching from that. We can check that later. Step by step elimination is the easiest.
Ok so in the scene mindhunters to check banding is first when i noticed a lot of flashing in the black bars. Hope it is not any serious defect. Dam i cant go through another replacement process

Ok so in the scene mindhunters to check banding is first when i noticed a lot of flashing in the black bars. Hope it is not any serious defect. Dam i cant go through another replacement process

And I didn't notice any flashing in the entire Mindhunter, Ozark, Kominsky Method, The Boyz, Marvelous Mrs. Maisel and many more movies and the shortlisted content and scenes in which Metz OLED was flashing. Why are you running ahead? I gave you the solution. Try it out and then see what needs to be done; if anything.

And I didn't notice any flashing in the entire Mindhunter, Ozark, Kominsky Method, The Boyz, Marvelous Mrs. Maisel and many more movies and the shortlisted content and scenes in which Metz OLED was flashing. Why are you running ahead? I gave you the solution. Try it out and then see what needs to be done; if anything.
Yeah sure will do the settings later tonight and update the thread

Yeah sure will do the settings later tonight and update the thread

When I got the C9, I had raised brightness to 54, as I set the black levels using the avsforum slides and it wasn't that easy to calibrate black most accurately, and I was getting flashing with brightness at 54. That's when I used the black slide hack with OLED light at 100 that I have told you to do, as it allows for the most accurate tuning of the black level. Once I did that, I found that brightness at 52 is the level where black remains black; 53 and it lights up very faintly, which can be easy to miss with lower OLED light and lit up content on the screen, and that lighting up can cause flashing in content.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back