Hisense U7K user review thread

I've counted 36 horizontal and 36 vertical dimming zones, giving a total of 1296 zone

Did you use AVS zone counter? Should be diagonall count be the same? My buddy counted zones and he got 36x36 too. But number in diagonal row is less

How good is black level on this set? For dark room watching?

Especially considering wide screen where black bars are main distracting factor with local dimming being not perfect. It is very annoying for me :)
What about 85U7K?
Black bars are close to black but not exactly black. Let’s say if OLED is zero brightness on black bars, IPS panel is 100 brightness, VA panel is 20-25 then U7K is around 1-2.

It’s more about how the local dimming works. Hisense has chosen for smoother dimming across a few zones to completely eliminate blooming but it means that you don’t get pure blacks unless you go 2-3 zones away.

If you have a pure black room, then go with an OLED. If you look for it the U7K black bars will bother you a bit. But even if the room has a little bit of bias light or isn’t pure dark you won’t be able to distinguish between this and OLED

Any info on this??
What info you want on this. 50+ people on the telegram bought this tv.

Apart from the units which arrived defective and were exchanged, haven’t heard a single unit go bad. Mine is working fine too.

You need to have a 1000+ sample across years to make a good decision though. So I can’t help you.

Black bars are close to black but not exactly black. Let’s say if OLED is zero brightness on black bars, IPS panel is 100 brightness, VA panel is 20-25 then U7K is around 1-2.

1-2% is very good result on 100% scale actually :) . It turns out to be very close to OLED blacks. I had TCL 65C755 recently and i would give it 8-10%. I guess i will be totally satisfied with such black level as 1-2 from 100 😁

It is not clear till the end how much dimming zones it has. RTings say about 684. You say about 1290. Big difference. Are you shure number of zones was counted correctly? Did you use AVS zone counter?

1-2% is very good result on 100% scale actually :) . It turns out to be very close to OLED blacks. I had TCL 65C755 recently and i would give it 8-10%. I guess i will be totally satisfied with such black level as 1-2 from 100 😁
It’s not a scale. I’m talking about black levels. I’d say the 65C755 would also be at most a 3-4. No way it only has 3x the contrast of a VA panel.

The overall dimming performance of the U7K is impressive but the black bars are a software tuning issue and the weakest part about this tv.
It is not clear till the end how much dimming zones it has. RTings say about 684. You say about 1290. Big difference. Are you shure number of zones was counted correctly? Did you use AVS zone counter?
The Indian variant of 85U7K isn’t the same as the US variant.

The Indian 85” U7K uses the same panel as the Chinese variant (called U7K pro I believe) which is similar to the US U8K.

Yes, I counted the zones correctly. It’s a 32x32 grid. I used the YouTube video with tiny dot running around display.

No way it only has 3x the contrast of a VA panel.

Easily in some situations. 1-2 only in most simple scenarios where most part of the screen is black. It drops down to naitve contrast of panel in more difficult scenes
Yes, I counted the zones correctly. It’s a 32x32 grid. I used the YouTube video with tiny dot running around display.

My buddy who owns 85U7K counted 36x36=1296 dimming zones. It is exactly the number of zones 85U8K has.

Easily in some situations. 1-2 only in most simple scenarios where most part of the screen is black. It drops down to naitve contrast of panel in more difficult scenes
With the U7K that’s usually not the case. Since it has a lot more zones and a more sophisticated local dimming algorithm.

IMO the way to understand the U7K algo is that the worst case situation (VA native) basically never happens. However the best case (pure black bars) is also hard. It almost always stays like a very very very high contrast VA. Something like 100k:1 contrast ratio.

I got my 85U7K. First impressions are very good. Fantastic picture quality overall. Plenty of brightness, very good black levels, no blooming ( at least I didn't see yet).

There's some gamma deviation out of the box. Some inaccuracies with white balance that should be fixed but nothing special.

I am interested in U7K 65 inch. Now they have increased the price by Rs 5000 to 84999. Is there any offline dealers in Bengaluru with competitive pricing. I also would like to know their quality of service in bengaluru.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back