Hisense U7K user review thread

Reason for a new thread

Creating this new thread to share the reviews of U7K. I know there's an existing thread about the overall TV, but given the extreme amount of interest and misinformation about the TV, I thought a thread just for user reviews and experiences might help future buyers more by them not having to navigate through pages of FOMO and speculation about the TV on the other thread. I'll start out with my own review to kick off the thread, but I do expect other FMs to chime in with their own comparisons, settings and opinions. Anyway, let's begin the review, shall we?

Context

I have a 65" Sony A95K QD-OLED as my bedroom TV since last year and while I've been (obviously) super happy with its performance, I was looking for a rough and tough, big bright TV for the living room. I wanted something that could handle abuse like sports, TV channels, gaming, and guests for hours and hours on days and days without fear of burn-in, and something that handles the relatively bright living room just fine too. Overall, I was more keen on getting a bright LCD FALD TV rather than another OLED.

However, given the horrendous pricing of FALD TVs in our country, I was thinking of giving up on that and was looking to get an S90C OLED, and then the U7K dropped which fit my needs perfectly. It was cheap(1.4 lakhs for 85" mini LED), bright (1000 nits) and the overall reviews were positive. I pre-ordered it, got it last week and have been playing with it since then.

The size and first impressions

85" is a BIG TV, especially for my 11' viewing distance. I'm going to move to a new place in a couple of months where the viewing distance will be even smaller at1' and it will look even bigger, in a good way.

The TV is immersive and the first TV I've seen that gives a proper HT vibe. Everything looks life-size or bigger and the TV takes over your field of vision like a projector screen would, assuming that your viewing distance is around 10 feet.

The TV is so immersive that 90% of the time we prefer watching on this than my A95K, despite the A95K being a better TV. As long as the quality is adequately good for you, I've been convinced that going for as big of a screen size as you can is an amazing decision

Local dimming

I've counted 36 horizontal and 36 vertical dimming zones, giving a total of 1296 zones. This gives an impressive dimming performance and is the first miniLED screen I've seen that gets very close to giving an almost-perfect dimming performance with virtually no blooming and almost-perfect blacks.

In terms of dimming performance, the 1296 dimming zones and the high-quality VA panel on this TV deliver performance comparable to the MacBook Pro miniLED screen that I have. I never thought a consumer TV would match the performance of the 2500 zone miniLED of Apple, but this TV surprisingly has.

You need to see it to believe it. In terms of dimming and black-level performance, this TV has far surpassed my expectations. I didn't expect it to be so good.

I'll give you an example. For most TVs with low dimming zones (50-100) you can't set local dimming to high when watching sports or content with lots of uniform colours as the dimming causes splotches on the screen causing haloing and smearing. This is true of my 56 zone U7980 and the 128 zone TCL C825. However, on this TV you can set local dimming to high on every piece of content because the number of dimming zones are so high and it won't even be visible, you'll just get pure high contrast.

Brightness

This TV is very bright. I belive the 85" is a brighter panel than the rest of the lineup as the panel seems to be shared with the U8K (same 1296 zones).

I took my pixel 6A's lux meter app and measured some brightness on panels:

MacBook pro 16" (supposed to be 1600 nits): 1690 lux on 10% window, 1400 lux on 25% window, 1100 lux on 100% window.
Odyssey neo G7 monitor (supposed to be 1300 nits): 1440 lux on 10% window, 1130 lux on 25% window, 390 lux on 100% window
85U7K: 1190 lux on 10% window, 1440 lux on 25% window, 650 lux on 100% window.

In real-world content, I found this display to be slightly brighter than my Odyssey Neo G7 and slightly dimmer than the Macbook Pro miniLED. Also for small specular highlights, the Macbook is significantly brighter but causes more blooming.

Comparing to the A95K is tough. This TV gets much brighter in high APL scenes where there's a lot of brightness over a wide area of the screen, however the A95K still hits much better when it's small specular highlights. Overall, I would take the A95K in a dark room for HDR impact but in a living room with more ambient light the miniLED will do better.

While it's not eye-searing bright as Samsung's neo QLEDs it's still plenty to give a good HDR impact, especially with how good the blacks and the local dimming are.

Picture quality and accuracy

Overall, I've been very happy with the PQ of this TV. It doesn't quite get on the same level as the A95K, but it's around 90% there. And it gets 99% there with the MacBook pro in most HDR scenes.

What's more impressive is that out of the box you don't have to do much to get colour accurate settings out of the TV. You just make minor adjustments to brightness, dimming and dark level performance and white to warm 1 and you'll be immaculate in terms of colour performance.

The display without any calibration matched my MBP 1:1 which is regarded as well calibrated. And I did the Apple TV calibration on it which found that my display was calibrated and it couldn't improve it further (attached picture here)

View attachment 80684

Conclusion

As someone who owns a master series QD-OLED as well as various other miniLED displays with 1000+ dimming zones, I'm still impressed by this TV. It's so good that for most of our viewing we prefer the U7K over the A95K because the size difference is bigger than the PQ difference.

At around 1.5 lakhs, it's a must buy and a great value for money in India. I highly highly recommend it.

Images for comparison

Since MBP is the only portable display I have of high quality, I put down a comparison with it to see how good it can get. Keep in mind the macbook is closer to me so might appear slightly brighter but if we put it away they'll look about the same.

This should also give an idea about how the TV performs. Attaching those pics in a subsequent comment.
Hi can you please tell me which budget tv should I purchase? Size 55inch , budget 50k...

A short review of my 75”: I have it set up in my home theatre room with a couple of recliners about 8.5” away from the screen. We mostly use it to watch movies at night - but even in the day, the room is quite dim with the darkening curtains. So far, i have been very pleased.
- The contrast isnt close to OLED levels but the black are plenty black and it is contrasty enough, if that makes sense. My wife isnt a huge videophile, but even she pointed this out
- No blooming that i have noticed
- UI: no idea. It’s plugged into an AppleTV
- Sound: no idea. Sound is handled by a Denon 1700 and 5.1.2 speaker setup

I am very pleased with the purchase - maybe the Sony X90L is slightly better but for my 3-4 hours/week of movie viewing on this screen, this works very well and it is a big upgrade over the Sony X82L that i had seen at a store.

Hi all,

Just got a U7k today in 85 inches. TV looks great but in the bottom right there looks to be some bands of color visible when viewing grey/white content. It’s only really noticeable if you’re looking for it. Is there anything I can do about this? If not is it worth returning over?

Tyler

Attachments

• IMG_1981.jpeg
    IMG_1981.jpeg
    190.2 KB · Views: 13
A short review of my 75”: I have it set up in my home theatre room with a couple of recliners about 8.5” away from the screen. We mostly use it to watch movies at night - but even in the day, the room is quite dim with the darkening curtains. So far, i have been very pleased.
- The contrast isnt close to OLED levels but the black are plenty black and it is contrasty enough, if that makes sense. My wife isnt a huge videophile, but even she pointed this out
- No blooming that i have noticed
- UI: no idea. It’s plugged into an AppleTV
- Sound: no idea. Sound is handled by a Denon 1700 and 5.1.2 speaker setup

I am very pleased with the purchase - maybe the Sony X90L is slightly better but for my 3-4 hours/week of movie viewing on this screen, this works very well and it is a big upgrade over the Sony X82L that i had seen at a store.
price was? do we get 5 year warranty with UK5? how is mini led panel behavior for long hours usage?

However, given the horrendous pricing of FALD TVs in our country, I was thinking of giving up on that and was looking to get an S90C OLED, and then the U7K dropped which fit my needs perfectly. It was cheap(1.4 lakhs for 85" mini LED), bright (1000 nits) and the overall reviews were positive. I pre-ordered it, got it last week and have been playing with it since then.

Wow. Never knew TV could be an investment.. 1.4L and it's currently selling for 2.5L.

Amazing. Congrats to all those who got a great deal and great TV at great price.

I replaced my 43" LG Plasma TV (around 10 years old) with the 55U7K and I must say the picture quality is shit. This TV has so many controls that it is way too complex for a simpleton like me. It does not work out of the box. I am sure my settings must be highly screwed as most reviewers say that the PQ is awesome. Can someone please suggest the settings I should be using for good picture quality?

I am using this with an Amazon Fire TV 4K Max. The audio sometimes goes out of sync too. Watching live cricket matches is also a pain as I can see the ball jagging/blurring when it is racing towards the boundary. My 6-year-old Sansui 4K LCD TV that I bought for < 40K has far better picture quality. Please help me fix the PQ on 55U7K.

I replaced my 43" LG Plasma TV (around 10 years old) with the 55U7K and I must say the picture quality is shit. This TV has so many controls that it is way too complex for a simpleton like me. It does not work out of the box. I am sure my settings must be highly screwed as most reviewers say that the PQ is awesome. Can someone please suggest the settings I should be using for good picture quality?

I am using this with an Amazon Fire TV 4K Max. The audio sometimes goes out of sync too. Watching live cricket matches is also a pain as I can see the ball jagging/blurring when it is racing towards the boundary. My 6-year-old Sansui 4K LCD TV that I bought for < 40K has far better picture quality. Please help me fix the PQ on 55U7K.
The settings are literally listed one page ago. Please try these:

Modern TVs have complex settings by design because unlike older TVs they have to change a variety of colour gamuts and standards v/s just SDR on older sets.

If you wanted a TV to work out of the box, you should get a Sony.

Also this is a link to U7K telegram group. Maybe someone can help you fix your issues:

The settings are literally listed one page ago. Please try these:

Modern TVs have complex settings by design because unlike older TVs they have to change a variety of colour gamuts and standards v/s just SDR on older sets.

If you wanted a TV to work out of the box, you should get a Sony.

Also this is a link to U7K telegram group. Maybe someone can help you fix your issues:

Thanks a lot for the links.

Where are you getting these prices? The 85" U7K is selling on Amazon.in for ₹2.5L! That's a massive difference, compared to the ₹1.4L mentioned.

Where are you getting these prices? The 85" U7K is selling on Amazon.in for ₹2.5L! That's a massive difference, compared to the ₹1.4L mentioned.
The tv was available for 1.4L when it launched. It also included a free firestick 4K and 4 years of warranty if you bought it before September 30th.

In my personal case, I bought it on 29th so got the firestick and the 4 year warranty.

The tv with no cost emi cost me 1.28 lakhs. Then I pre paid the EMI the next day to not pay the 12k interest.

Since I hold infinia card, also got 4200 worth of credit card points. So overall 85” U7K cost me around 1.24 lakhs.
1704709331724.png

Just want to check ,is hisense tv are good? Some peoples saying panel not working after some months and thier os not support ott apps.

excellent review by @lightgamer . we usually hangout on Telegram group. This guy is genuine and not some YouTube washing machine TV reviewer or techy aunty who don't even know how to set brightness/backlight.

But please note one thing This review is for 85" inch TV. which has different panel than 75". VA panel always have better black level and poor viewing angle. but surprisingly U7K 85" viewing angle is better than any other similar price range TV. I request @lightgamer to post some viewing angle test also.

75" has IPS ADS panel. viewing angle is extremely good. I have posted a video below. if you want you can watch the video for viewing angle test.

Hisense U7K 75" Viewing Angle Test

LEON
impressive viewing angles bro.

For those who bought this tv, did you take any additional warranty? Hisense seems to offer just two years now. Reliance is offering an extension up to 5 years through its resq care plan.

The tv was available for 1.4L when it launched. It also included a free firestick 4K and 4 years of warranty if you bought it before September 30th.

In my personal case, I bought it on 29th so got the firestick and the 4 year warranty.

The tv with no cost emi cost me 1.28 lakhs. Then I pre paid the EMI the next day to not pay the 12k interest.

Since I hold infinia card, also got 4200 worth of credit card points. So overall 85” U7K cost me around 1.24 lakhs.
View attachment 82419
Wow steal!

Sorry to put this query here... did not want to start another thread on Hisense.

Is the Hisense 43 inch model 43A6H good TV for parents? Price 20k in amazon along with some bank discounts.
Need to buy urgently as older Sanyo died.

How good is black level on this set? For dark room watching?

Especially considering wide screen where black bars are main distracting factor with local dimming being not perfect. It is very annoying for me :)
What about 85U7K?

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back