CA 340c /340A too bright?

SaurabhK

Hi All,

I recently auditioned the CA 340C /340 A for the folks . The speakers were the CA S30. Now I found the combo to be bright.Now was it the speakers to blame or was it the amp or the CDP. I tried it on the MS Mezzo2 as well . Bright but not as bright as the S 30. Any inputs ? Was it the amp or cdp to blame?

Hi All,

I recently auditioned the CA 340C /340 A for the folks . The speakers were the CA S30. Now I found the combo to be bright.Now was it the speakers to blame or was it the amp or the CDP. I tried it on the MS Mezzo2 as well . Bright but not as bright as the S 30. Any inputs ? Was it the amp or cdp to blame?

well i feel that the CA 340/540 series are bright if you pair them with the wrong speakers. Although a lot of people on the forum like pairing the CA amp/CDP with MS Avant 906 (for eg) - i found the combination too bright for my liking. I have not auditioned the S30 so cannot comment.

Why not try the Marantz or NAD (expensive) or give out local Norge a try. I feel the Norge 1000 has potential - clarity, detail, nice vocals and tight bass (though at very high volumes bass management is finicky).

Brother always trust your ears and not what me or someone else has to say. You like it - you buy it - you have to stay with the system right? :eek:hyeah:

Hi All,

Hi Saurabh:

The CA 340 combo is not bright at all. I really feel the S30 speakers are to be blamed here. Since MS are sister concerns of CA, they both really gel well and doesn't sound bright at all. I have had extensive listening of 340 combo with MS 906i and Diamond 9.6 FS, both were easy to listen and never edgy. I really liked the 340 combo with MS 906i, wonderful sound and treble very sweet.

Also, listen to 340 combo with Diamond 9.1/9.2 setup, and you might like the sound.

Actually i have heard really good things about the CA and MS 906 combo. I had taken a proper audition in mumbai at two places in Andheri with the CA and MS 906 - songs ranging from rock to pop to a lil instrumental thrown in. I felt that the MS906 was musical yes but the timbre was not as what I would have expected from a 30k speaker or a 13k CD player + 15k (approx) amp. The harmonic content was not reproduced nicely and the attack and delay of the sound (as the gurus call it) was found to be lacking. As my dear wifey said "no effects" with respect to the guitar (decay) - i realized even by technically "ignorant" :eek: wife could realize some most important aspects that a speaker + instrument combo must provide wrt attack, delay - timbre overall

The CA was definitely musically much better with Wharfdales and hotel california/country roads was awesome. But bass went for a toss here (maybe the speaker combo was not right)

Most importantly judge your own ears - since:indifferent14: you pay a substantial amount of money for these, take cues from us - let your ears be the ultimate judge.

Back