Cable Management

nitinbose

Hi Everyone,

Whatever pleasure we may obtain from our home theater system may be subdued by poor cabling; i.e. the looks of the room, tidying the room etc., may be cumbersome because of the multple cables running around.

Could we have some light thrown on good cable management practises?

Thanks,

Nitin.

There are multiple ways of doing this.

1. If you are in the initial stages of room or house construction, you can do one of the following:

1.a. Draw the 7.1 layout, have concealed cable runners, draw the cables and leave it there for later connection.
1.b. Through concealed runners draw the cables, and terminate them at their places using wall plates. Then using small runs of cables with spades on both ends, you can connect the speakers to the terminals on the wall plates.

2. If you are using an existing room, you can use plastic or wooden conduits, and draw the cables along the wall just above the skirts on the bottom. You can draw the cables along the skirts for as long as possible. You may have to use some extra cable length. The conduits will move up the wall only where needed.

3. If you using an existing room, and are ready to dig small holes in the wall, you can sink the conduit and cable into these holes, and cover them later with plaster, white cement or something, and repaint the wall. Nothing will be visible.

4. You can use conduits to draw the cabling as you want, and the cover the whole wall with a sound proofing material so that nothing is visible.

5. You can use wireless receivers and transmitters so that you have no speakers cables drawn at all. A bit expensive, though, and the technology is not yet mature.

6. On the DVD Player, TV, and AVR you can use HDMI cables so that the number of cables is minimal.

Cheers

Hi Venkat,

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm staying at a rented place, in Bangalore and am using one of the bedrooms for the home theater setup.

The possibility of using nails is quite remote; could there be any alternative to this? Tata sky has already done sufficient damage by drawing their cable through the walls :(

I've indeed heard of wireless systems for speakers, however, I believe they require the wireless device to power the speakers as well, isnt it? In my case the avr powers all the speakers, hence wont using wireless mean a "waste" of those channels in the avr?

By the way, could you be knowing some economic speaker stands and avr racks availability in bangalore?

thanks,

Nitin.

The possibility of using nails is quite remote; could there be any alternative to this? Tata sky has already done sufficient damage by drawing their cable through the walls :(

Well I have seen this done in the US, and some offices in India when they have to carry cables across the floor. Just lay the cable alongside the floor /wall skirts as I mentioned, and stick them in place using a 1.5 to 2 inch tape. Today you get tapes of all colors, and I suppose you can even paint them lightly to match the wall cover.

I've indeed heard of wireless systems for speakers, however, I believe they require the wireless device to power the speakers as well, isnt it? In my case the avr powers all the speakers, hence wont using wireless mean a "waste" of those channels in the avr?

No the wireless device is just a combination of receiver and transmitter. You connect the transmitter to the AVR, and the receiver to the speakers. These are available as two types. One is complete 5.1 HT Package where the receivers are built into the speakers. The other is a Add-On, meaning they can be used with existing speakers. They come with terminals to connect the AVR on one side, and the speakers on the other.

Please see Wireless Home Theater ? A buying guide to Wireless Speakers Systems for more details. Also read Wireless Speakers System Reviews to get an idea of the products available. RocketFish is very popular.

By the way, could you be knowing some economic speaker stands and avr racks availability in bangalore?

Not much idea about Bangalore, I am afraid. I will request the Bangalore members to answer this question.

Cheers

To add to Venkat's list I would add that there are speaker cables that stick to the wall and over which you can paint the wall colour.

For the most part the conduit seems to be the least effort route.

There are multiple ways of doing this.

1. If you are in the initial stages of room or house construction, you can do one of the following:

1.a. Draw the 7.1 layout, have concealed cable runners, draw the cables and leave it there for later connection.
1.b. Through concealed runners draw the cables, and terminate them at their places using wall plates. Then using small runs of cables with spades on both ends, you can connect the speakers to the terminals on the wall plates.

2. If you are using an existing room, you can use plastic or wooden conduits, and draw the cables along the wall just above the skirts on the bottom. You can draw the cables along the skirts for as long as possible. You may have to use some extra cable length. The conduits will move up the wall only where needed.

3. If you using an existing room, and are ready to dig small holes in the wall, you can sink the conduit and cable into these holes, and cover them later with plaster, white cement or something, and repaint the wall. Nothing will be visible.

4. You can use conduits to draw the cabling as you want, and the cover the whole wall with a sound proofing material so that nothing is visible.

5. You can use wireless receivers and transmitters so that you have no speakers cables drawn at all. A bit expensive, though, and the technology is not yet mature.

6. On the DVD Player, TV, and AVR you can use HDMI cables so that the number of cables is minimal.

Cheers

Carpets and rugs could also be used to conceal wire run along the floor. Can add to room decor as well. Of course it adds the headache of carpet maintenance.

hi nitin!
you can use monster navajo cables. they are flat cables, economical, and the best part is they are paintable to match the color of the background wall. being a flat cable they can be run under the carpet very easily too.
i had bought some few months back from abhishek of audio dynamics.
probably you can have a talk with him. his mob. no. is 9845881387

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back