Cable Sound Signature:

Hi
Quality of power is a bit more difficult to determine IMO. Pops, crackle, Buzz are all audible if u live say next to an industrial unit. When there is heavy machinery around u its safe to assume the power is corrupted. Voltage is another issue which can be addressed. A UIT seems to be a solution.
One tends to spend on power cords while a dedicated line is almost always a clear upgrade.

Suri s suggestion of thick Finolex wire merits a try. I have tried this often with good results. Yes simple Finolex electrical wire, inter twined, 6 sq.mm (more metal between amp & speakers) will work.

Rikhav sorry no opinion on Mogami. Never heard one.
Rgds

Hi Sumit,
Some supra are silver coated and some are tin coated. Dont know what u have. Regarding the bright sound that u are enduring u could use a Vandenhul combo as it rolls of the top end. Mids are great and bass is decent. Build/ materials are top class.
Dont know your set up or your budget but will suggest a few options regardless.
1)The Name IC with Clear water speaker cable.
2) D102 MK III with the CS122 speaker cable. Both are copper/silver/carbon in Hulliflex.
3)The Second IC (balanced/All carbon) with either the BREEZE or the REVOLUTION speaker cables.

The first is relatively cheap and the last one is pretty steep.

If possible get from sgpore as it will be 60% of the price the local distributor sells at which is a huge saving.

In theory I agree with Murali on the fact that a cable should do nothing just transfer the signal but I understand your problem and the VDH should do the trick.
Rgds

dinyar: sumith is using a dac and plays his music thro hdd also
,i have not heard much on hdd and dac ,as i am used to playbak on standalone cdp and only on original cds i dint really appreciate the SQ of hdd
and also downloaded music thro dac ,it sounded extra bright definetly exagerated frequencies so will changing his cables really help?

Sumit i doubt it's due to cables. It could be for other reasons viz. dirty power, airborne RFI or improper shelving (glass shelf for instance).
Rgds
Vasu

Dinyaar, whats UIT ?

Just having a glass rack can make the sound harsh or bright? Then in my case i keep my amp on a study table :p

Myraid, not saying you are wrong but just wondering how vulnerable hifi setups are

Rikhav UIT is ULTRA ISOLATION TRANSFORMER. I have one but I rarely use it!!!!
Subhash what u say may be true. If the material is poor then there is nothing that cables will do.
Rgds

dinyar: sumith is using a dac and plays his music thro hdd also
,i have not heard much on hdd and dac ,as i am used to playbak on standalone cdp and only on original cds i dint really appreciate the SQ of hdd
and also downloaded music thro dac ,it sounded extra bright definetly exagerated frequencies so will changing his cables really help?

Subhash: I am playing lossless audio through HDD. There is hardly any difference in SQ when I play simlar file in DVDp vide dac OR HDD vide dac.

Myriad: Well, I am not sure how much glass shelves contribute. But, at present I think first I shall change to some regular cables and see the difference. The outcome of this experiment shall decide further changes in right direction. I hope!

Dinyaar/Suri: I shall check the finolex cable arrangement as well.

Cheers!!

sumit : i wud suggest you get a good quality CDP , the difference from dvdp is major, you cud get one and chk it out only then change your cables for further refinement

hope am not passing on the infectious bug to you:lol:

sumit : i wud suggest you get a good quality CDP , the difference from dvdp is major, you cud get one and chk it out only then change your cables for further refinement

hope am not passing on the infectious bug to you:lol:

YOu sure did try. But, I have already made my fair share of impulsive purchases. I am watching my step now.

Subhash, I am convinced, it is not the DVDp.
The main diff b/w DVDp and CDP is the quality of DAC. We have had long discussions on this subject on this forum. Beresford is not a great DAC but it is equivalent to a budget CDp.

Cheers!!

After few discussion over the phone I requested Sumit to change the speakers cable for 1 of his front channel, as he had some spare DAC 12AWG cables lying with him. After doing this he did a blind test in another friend's presence and to their surprise the speaker which was running through DAC OFC cables was sounding laid back in comparison with the other speaker which was running on the Supra silver plated cables, this was double checked with the balance control on his NAD pre pointed towards each channel. This led him to believe that cables do make a lot of difference to the sound signature but he wants an expert opinions from you guys too.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back