cabling for analogue set up

prem

For the last 15 years i had a digital set up. Among the various cables i tried, i liked Liveline, Lessloss and Grover cables depending on the digital set up i had at that time.

With analogue i do not find the exotic cables working. Simple home made copper stuff with good connectors are giving me the bet results. On power i have moved to solid core copper power cables with Iego copper connectors. The interconnect i use now are what came with the EMT. Again basic copper stuff. My speaker cables are still Liveline. Two of the power cords on the Rethms are still Liveline. Have ordered two more sets of Iego connectors. Once they come will try solid core copper power cables on Rethms also. Have a feeling will be superior to Liveline.

Premji
In your power cables, what brand cable are you using and what gauge

Ajay, Liveline cables are great. They work superbly with Esoteric.

Rikhav, i bought some local 12 gauge solid core copper cable. Its some local brand called Eaglex. I twisted three of these cables to make my power cord.

Ajay, Liveline cables are great. They work superbly with Esoteric.

Rikhav, i bought some local 12 gauge solid core copper cable. Its some local brand called Eaglex. I twisted three of these cables to make my power cord.

These Eaglex cables would be inline with Havells, Legrand, Polycab we get in the market?

Hi Rikhav

I have no idea how good or bad the Eaglex is compared to others. This was the only brand i could get in solid core. I do not know if Finolex, Polycab, Havell make solid core wires. At least in Mumbai, i could not source them. If available, i would have gone with thoe brands.

Hi Rikhav

I have no idea how good or bad the Eaglex is compared to others. This was the only brand i could get in solid core. I do not know if Finolex, Polycab, Havell make solid core wires. At least in Mumbai, i could not source them. If available, i would have gone with thoe brands.

You are right Premji, all the companies I mentioned have multi strands. They dont make solid core copper wires

Hi Rikhav

If you want to experiment, just go to your local store and buy whatever solid core copper cable is available. The brand does not really matter. If its for a power cord, try and buy either 14 or 12 guage

There are some interesting discussions on the the interconnects for vinyl setup on the forum vinylengine.com and many senior members suggest that interconnects make little difference so long as the quality is reasonable.

The two important attributes for vinyl interconnects should be :
i) Capacitance should be low because it contributes to rolloff of higher frequencies
ii) Heavy shielding protects audio signals from interference from outsides sources.

Of course connectors are critical part - because if the cable isnt well joined to the connector or if the connectors don't make firm contact with jacks, it doesn't really matter how good the cable is.

There are thousands good cables for analog set up but it depends on your budget. Several brands that I can recommend is VPI tonearm cable as this is the first cable that is shielded. Another one you may check Furutech tonearm cable. Try to keep your interconnect cable as short as possible. Cables do not produce sound so everything it depends on your system and what kind of sound are you aiming at, ie, warm or open?

@prem
Inspired by your solid core power cable idea, I went and bought two meters of 4 sq mm 3 core cable (forgot the brand). This equates to about 11 AWG. Used a 10A rated Elcom connectors for IEC end (purchased from Promedia, Andheri W) and a normal 6A, 3 pin plug (Anchor) from a nearby hardware store as I couldn't get anything better.

Plugged in to CDP. First impression - I can hear more of bass. Mids and highs somehow subdued and veiled. A/B-ed with existing cable to confirm the impression. Original cable definitely sounded better in the mids and highs, but had much lesser bass. For now I like previous cable more.

Is there such a thing as burn-in for power cables too? Is the new cable likely to improve with use.
Joshua

If anyone is looking interconnects for TT than should buy low capacitance video cables.I am using DAC branded video cable on my Technics and they really good.

Regards,

Sachin

JLS
So are the 20 hrs up? Any improvement?

I have a 4sqmm x 3 diy cable partially completed and lying around wondering if its worth the effort. :)

--G0bble

Will keep CDP on loop mode for at least next 24 hrs or so and see how it sounds.
Joshua

@prem
Inspired by your solid core power cable idea, I went and bought two meters of 4 sq mm 3 core cable (forgot the brand). This equates to about 11 AWG. Used a 10A rated Elcom connectors for IEC end (purchased from Promedia, Andheri W) and a normal 6A, 3 pin plug (Anchor) from a nearby hardware store as I couldn't get anything better.

Plugged in to CDP. First impression - I can hear more of bass. Mids and highs somehow subdued and veiled. A/B-ed with existing cable to confirm the impression. Original cable definitely sounded better in the mids and highs, but had much lesser bass. For now I like previous cable more.

Is there such a thing as burn-in for power cables too? Is the new cable likely to improve with use.
Joshua

Can you post some pics.

Regards,
Sachin

Hi Jls001

I recommended the solid core power cable for an analogue set up not for a digital set up.

Will keep CDP on loop mode for at least next 24 hrs or so and see how it sounds.
Joshua

24 hours wrought much wonder. Bass became tighter and mids and highs are now devoid of the not so diaphanous veil they were shrouded in. Yes, thou shalt cook thy new power cable well. I think a 100 hours will bring it up fully to speed.
Joshua

Can you post some pics.

Hi Sachin,
I thought of that before I set out but got so engrossed doing it I totally forgot pictures. Anyway, I will open up the connectors and take snaps to give you an idea. But do be assured that it's no beauty.
Joshua

Hi Jls001

I recommended the solid core power cable for an analogue set up not for a digital set up.

Hi Prem,
By analog, do you mean the power cord for table, or for the phono pre? Or do you have a separate only-analog chain?

In my case, the table uses the stock (skinny) power cable which doesn't even have ground. Does it make sense to change this power cable to something nice and thick (braided or single core) cable? Phono pre is powered from a wall wart unit as it doesn't have internal PSU so there's no scope of changing power cable here.

Both pre and power use their respective stock power cables mainly because both are unremovable type. But I have a feeling both can benefit from a solid core. What do you say?
Joshua

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back