California Audiophile Get-together, 30th Jan, 2010

shaizada

Hey guys,

I'm posting this here JUST IN CASE we have a member who might make it out here for a meet at my house. Ray Samuels of Ray Samuels Audio will also be in attendance showing up with all his equipment including the new F117 Nighthawk Phonostage and a balanced portable amp called the Protector.

Here is the meet thread:
Orange County Meet: 1/30/2010 - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

If some Hifivision member can make it, please do come. Would LOVE to have you over for the meet.

Here is a cut/paste of some information about the equipment etc.:

TIME AND DATE: Jan 30th, 2010, 11am - 6pm

PLACE: Anaheim Hills, Orange County
(will provide address through email later. Don't want to post it publicly)

If you plan on attending, please include the gear you plan on bringing and how much space you will be needing. I will be updating this initial post with people/gear as they confirm.

Gear List:

Sources:
Reimyo DAP-777 Dac (Upgrade company modded)
VPI TNT-V "Hot Rod" Turntable/Clearaudio Accurate Cartridge
Pico (Dac Only)
(possibly the Reference One DAC)
Keces DA-131
Orbe SE -> SME IV
Electrocompaniet ECD1 and/or Peachtree Audio Nova

Assemblage DAC1
Parasound DAC 1100HD
Pico DAC only
Paradisea (Maybe)

Headphones:
HD-600
HD-650
Audio Technica W1000
HD800 with balanced Double Helix custom Complement cable
HF-1, HF-2, HP-2,
K-1000, K-340, K-240DF,
HD-800, HD-414,
DT48,
MDR-SA5000, MDR-7509HD,
ATH-6,
Omega II Mk.1,
Aperio Alpha 1,
e3c
K1000

Stax:
SR Omega2 mk1
SR Lambda
SR Lambda Signature
SR Lambda Nova Signature
SR Sigma
SR Sigma Pro
SR 5

AKG K701
HA-RX700 w/ felt mod + cotton/foam mod
Sennheiser HD800
Sennheiser IE8
Grado HF-2
ATH-AD700
ATH-M50

Amps:
Ray Samuels B52
Ray Samuels Shadow
Einstein "Turntables Choice" Phono stage
Consonance Cyber 800 Monoblocks
Heed Canamp
DarkVoice 336SE
Fi Yph -> Zana Deux/Si2A3
Woo Audio 6SE
Bravo Tube - AMP
Manley Stingray

eXStatA SS

Stax:
SRM-717
SRM-T1S
SRM-T1
SRM1-MK2 (C series)

Ancillaries:
Omega Superhemp Speakers with Dual Deephemp Subwoofers

Last edited:
Shaizada I'm sure this event will be phenomenal. Just make sure you place the pics so that we can relate this Xperience!!

--
helium
Amp: Lyrita SET 2A3
Speakers: Vintage B&W DM4
Source: LG DVD + Beresford DAC
Cables: Lyrita's I.C & cables

I am SURE there will be many pictures. People normally end up bringing their digital SLRs etc and taking much better pictures than I could ever dream to with my digital point and shoot pocket camera.

There will be a whole thread of pictures and experiences which normally follow after meets. I'll definitely link them here for everyone.

Honestly, I wish my Hifivision members also had a chance to be here. I feel it would be an excellent learning experience and exposure to all sorts of different audio equipment. It is very difficult for one to develop a "taste" or understand their listening habits without actually experiencing many types of equipment and their relative synergies. Reading other peoples impressions and hifi magazines can only bring so much into one's knowledge base. There is just not substitute for personal listening experiences.

All the very best , hope you all have a great time.
And yes, do post pics, lots of them.
P.S Thats quite a list of stuff.
Is it mandatory for participants to bring eqpt?

All the very best , hope you all have a great time.
And yes, do post pics, lots of them.
P.S Thats quite a list of stuff.
Is it mandatory for participants to bring eqpt?

Absolutely not! :)
The meet is an open invitation to people so that there is more exposure and help for others to continue on in their own audio journeys.

EDIT: Sent you a PM kamal.

Last edited:
I'm quite intrigued by the Nighthawk after reading up a bit on it. Would appreciate if you could indulge me with detailed impressions of it, especially compared with the other heavyweights in the line-up. Congrats on the GTG!

I'm getting a unit for myself so I an definitely give more detailed impressions of that phonostage. Ray says that it will easily compete with the top of the line units in the market. I hope it lives up to that expectation!

Either way, I am getting a unit and I can bring it to India next time I come. The size is absolutely diminutive.

I'm getting a unit for myself so I an definitely give more detailed impressions of that phonostage. Ray says that it will easily compete with the top of the line units in the market. I hope it lives up to that expectation!

Either way, I am getting a unit and I can bring it to India next time I come. The size is absolutely diminutive.

Cool! Thanks much!

Just went thru the entire thread, pic by pic, post by post.
Amazing gear on display, really drool worthy, esp yours, Gaurav.
And the Quad ESL 57!
Appeared in tip top condition & must have sounded phenomenal, going by the comments.
Thanks a ton for sharing.
Regards,
Kamal

wow!

This is totally radical;)

You must have enjoyed thoroughly but thanks for sharing the pics and impressions of some really awesome gear.

Could you tell me the Quad ESL57 electrostats were paired up with what setup.

Sure. The Quads ESL 57 were being used with a Bedini solid state amplifier, Audible Illusions preamp driven by an Accuphase DP-75 CD player.

We had a great time and the meet went perfectly smooth. Couldn't ask for more. Some of the best headphones in the world were in attendance like the Sennheiser HE-90 (Orpheus), the Sony R10 and AKG K1000 amongst many others like Stax etc.

It just went very smoothly! Made new friends and enjoyed the company of some old ones.

Hi Shaizada,

Sounds like you had a fabulous time!

Did you notice the preponderance of tube equipment out there!
Whats with these people!

Regards,
Viren

Shaizada, man i really should make it a point to stop by your place when am in town :D

Did the SS Exstata make it there at all?..that was my proto build :p
The new ones supposedly sound better..
The quad ESLs are something else.. *drool*

Back