Pure 2 Channel Stereo Setup

@Shaizada: Great equipment. I am sure you must have reached at this set up with meticulous ear and knowledge.
Regards
Vasu

Seems like I can't edit the original post, possibly because it's been so long!

I just wanted to share some pictures of my setup which I had taken recently. Things have changed since 2009 ;)

10990486364_c8511c1668_b.jpg

10990532923_b39af6f32f_b.jpg

- VPI TNT VI Hot Rod, JMW 12.5 Tonearm, VPI HRX Motor, VPI Super Platter, VPI SDS Speed Controller, Van Den Hul Grasshopper III GLA Moving Coil Cartridge. Also using a Jorma Design Unity RCA interconnect I just got, from the turntable to an EAR 324 phonostage.

11037465796_b15a25a8cd_b.jpg

- Scheu Premier III, Schroeder Model 2 Tonearm, Jan Allaerts MC Cartridge

11037558873_abbff4f31d_b.jpg

Using a whole bunch of phono stage depending on mood for sound presentation. They all sound different and I enjoy listening to them.

- EAR 324
- Jadis DPMC
- Einstein "The Turntables Choice"
- Eddie Current Transcription
- Ray Samuels F-117 Nighhawk

Awesome to see an old hand back in action on the forum :)

Completely agree with HF. Quit a departure from your early system. I can figure out all gear except the power amplifier.

It would be great if you could do a small write-up about the new experience critical changes.

Lovely looking setup !!!

Awesome to see an old hand back in action on the forum :)

Completely agree with HF. Quit a departure from your early system. I can figure out all gear except the power amplifier.

It would be great if you could do a small write-up about the new experience critical changes.

Lovely looking setup !!!

The power amplifier is actually not pictured at all. It is an EAR 890 amplifier.
The partial box you see next to the speaker is the Jadis DPMC Phono amplifier that was unhooked at the time.

The single driver full range Omega Alnico Super 8 stayed in my system for a very long time and I was extremely satisfied with it. However, over the years, what I found was that more complicated and involved musical passages simply got congested as the driver was not able to belt out all that was required of the driver.

In short, I had reached some purely technical barriers the speaker presented. No matter how coherent the full range driver is, you simply cannot it expect it to play everything. Turns out, I supplemented the low end with dual deep hemp subwoofers (Omega's own subwoofers) and the top end was enhanced with a pair of Max Townshend Super tweeters. This let me augment the bottom and open the top even further. However, my growing interest in classical music saturated the abilities of this beautifully coherent and musical sound as well. As much musical pleasure I had been deriving, I was hitting a roadblock for the classical music genre at volumes I wanted.

So I started evaluating multi driver speakers and almost all reminded me why I had stayed with the Omega's for so long. I hated that crossover sound. I disliked very good sounding 3 ways, let alone poorly designed crossover speakers. Finally I encountered the Marten line of speakers and their musicality won me over. I listened to a bunch of them and I could still pick out those crossover points in the disparity of the drivers. Then when the current generation of Marten speakers came out, the crossover anomalies were gone. The crossover had been simplified from a Biwire to a single wire and redone. This was my speaker, the Marten Bird 2.

I got the funds together, purchased the speaker and HATED it the first day! It was closed in and junk sounding. I let the music play for a few days and it finally opened up almost 2 to 3 weeks later. I played with some positioning with toe in and the speaker disappeared leaving behind just music! Warm, coherent, fully extended top to bottom with no dynamic constraints of any kind that I could detect. In fact, they are a miracle as they disappeared sonically in my small room. This is a very large speaker, especially in relation to the listening position. In my opinion, it is a major engineering feat.

I'm at peace with my selection as my choice is confirmed every night of listening...the speaker delivers what I always looked for in a system...the system should not BE there. Just music....

Last edited:
I'm sure this is something built in time to give you that magical experience.

BTW, if I ever visit Cali For N.I.A. would love to meet up with you.

Cheers...

I'm sure this is something built in time to give you that magical experience.

BTW, if I ever visit Cali For N.I.A. would love to meet up with you.

Cheers...

You are MOST welcome to come over and visit. I love sharing a good listening experience with fellow enthusiasts and friends. These are experiences that double, triple your joy when shared.

a Buggati Veyron - but, of course!!!:)

and certainly after the focals!! :)

but would you buy the bentley continental GT speed if you were offered the Acura NSX, regardless of the price?

The behind of a limited ed. Buggati

Fantastic setup there. If I may ask, what happened to the EAR stuff?
I have heard an EAR 912/TT combo and continue to do so everytime I visit a fellow FMs place. Simply musical.

Fantastic setup there. If I may ask, what happened to the EAR stuff?
I have heard an EAR 912/TT combo and continue to do so everytime I visit a fellow FMs place. Simply musical.

This are additions. EAR gear remains as well :eek:
I switch between the gear to change presentation etc. EAR 890 Monoblocks are right above the Concert Fidelity Monoblocks in the pic.

Wow. That's definitely nice to have option. Couldn't pick them earlier.
Are those SRA's calibrated to the equipment they support?
Pardon the flow of questions, but do you hear the difference with these?

Wow. That's definitely nice to have option. Couldn't pick them earlier.
Are those SRA's calibrated to the equipment they support?
Pardon the flow of questions, but do you hear the difference with these?

Yes, the SRA stands are calibrated for the power supply section and the preamp section of the Ray Samuels B52 preamplifier. It made a very big difference as most isolation does...mostly, it is quieter backgrounds allowing the preamp to do more of what it can. It is a darker background hence most music comes alive more. You would have to listen to it to understand.

Thanks. I recently did acquire a two unit integrated tube amp with separate power section.
Along with them came the SRA blocks. I installed them a couple of days back and are driving a pair of stand by speakers. The speakers these were designed for are yet to arrive.
Now, what I hear is amazing agility, lot more details and a very tight bass which startled me.
Guessing from your experience, these must be playing a big part.

- Sennheiser HD-800 Headphones (Black box, in front of left speaker)

:eek:hyeah: HD-800 with my Israeli OTL valve amp has been making very happy since the past 2 years.

I am not sure if you remember but we had a discussion about HD600 a few years ago, that discussion led me to experience how amazing the HD600 is and still making me listen to the music i love more than ever along with my HD800.

but would you buy the bentley continental GT speed if you were offered the Acura NSX, regardless of the price?

Continental GT any day, The acura NSX was Honda's attempt to create a mix of corvette and Ferrari in terms of design coupled with good handling and reliability, was a sort of a sports car for the poor man kind of an attempt.

NSX is a good car, it is very reliable, high revving,kind of fun to drive but it lacks character,over all Honda made a high revving reliable engine with some good mechanics.

The same story continues even now, Honda were making good sports bikes until BMW came into the picture.

if you have taken that Acura NSX for a spin, you have driven a purist sports car, and i do hope that you had a long extended drive, and let me put this on record -- "The Acura NSX is the car to experience if you have the 'hand-eye-mind" co-ordination", and if " AYRTON SENNA" inspired something in you!

Ayrton himself mostly drove a Porsche 911/930 all the while Honda was seeking his advice and asking him to test the NSX and attaching his name in everything related to NSX for marketing.

Aryton never personally had an interest to buy the NSX, it was honda who sent him one for testing purposes so he can provide feedback, Aryton drove that around because he was in contract with Honda for the same reason he also agreed to help out Honda with the NSX project. Aryton was actually more interested in Audi,Mercedes,VW.

Yes, the SRA stands are calibrated for the power supply section and the preamp section of the Ray Samuels B52 preamplifier. It made a very big difference as most isolation does...mostly, it is quieter backgrounds allowing the preamp to do more of what it can. It is a darker background hence most music comes alive more. You would have to listen to it to understand.

Hello gaurav,
Good Day!!! accidentally landed up here on this thread. Would love to talk to you if your back in INDIA. I am willing to purchase your vinyl rip if it available for sale.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back