After 3 days of torturing my DV99 with loads of CDs and DVDs here come the initial impressions
1. The player looks solidly built and definitely looks like an expensive player. The black finish gives it a more upmarket looks(my opinion). The remote is easy to use and has a silver finish. but the buttons on the player needs some getting used to. My Earlier DVD player buttons were soft touch.not the case here.
2. Connected the DVDp to AVR by Optical and HDMI to Panasonic Pv8.
3. The OSD is great and easy to browse around. Has loads of options which i have never seen on a DVDp.. Looked more like an AVR settings
4. Colours, texture, stability and clarity are all excellent and black levels outstanding . The picture quality of any DVD i played was amazing. The player does a nice job in handling older generation movies too which didnt have much clarity. The upscale is top notch and there seemed to be less picture noise
5. This is the best thing about the DV99. The sound.One word"Amazing ".listened to some DVD songs and the voice was crisp and clear and each instrument was clearly heard. And when the popped in a CD and played in stereo mode.. It was just superb. Definitely better than my previous DVDp(I am not an expert audiophile.. but i am sure what i hear now is much better than earlier)
6. Popped in DVD of the Laya project and it was really clear on all the instruments used. For anyone looking for reference material please go ahead and get the Laya Project DVD. Definitely worth the 800 bucks. The live sounds are great and you can absolutely hear the ocean sounds and would feel like you are listening to the music in live. Anyways coming to the point... The player handled this brilliantly..
More reviews to come after i play around some more with the settings and also play an SACD or DVD audio CD.
P.S- Writing a review for the first time so kindly excuse the immature ramblings