Can Air Condition Stabilizer be used for HT Setup?

anujmishra

I was planning to buy Stabilizer for all of my HT needs. That should drive

1. 46" LED TV
2. Denon 1612
3. Norge 2060
4. Subwoofer
5. Other Required Players etc.

I came across this timtara.com-Indias No.1 Online Electronics Retailer. Shop Online in India for Electronics, Mobiles, Cameras, Appliances, Computers. It is for Air Condition (AC) and protects the AC well. Also, it can take all loads of HT as it has rating of 12Amps(~2700 Watts).

What are the pros and cons of using this stabilizer for safeguarding my equipments?

Last edited:
It will definitely work. But buy a good stabilizer. I am unaware of any good make so other members may help on this.
IMO an UPS will serve better, as that will protect the Disk player, HDD of media player/PC from sudden power cut.

The TV got an smps so it really does not need a voltage stabilizer, what it need is a fast acting high voltage cutoff and spike/surge suppressor because the sensitive electronics inside .

The AVR, amp , sub etc probably got a linear transformer based power supply so it is helpful to use a stabiliser but the stabiliser for ac/fridge etc got a large window so i am not sure how much it will help.(example for an input range of 160-280v, the stabiliser output varies 200-240v), with the servo you get a more narrow range say 2%. So if you live in a area with lot of fluctuation a servo is better than normal stabilizer

also by introducing a transformer(with finite impedance) based stabiliser in the chain you are effectively limiting the maximum current the amp.avr/sub can draw from mains so this could theoretically affect the performance, however if the stabiliser is rated sufficiently this shouldnot be much an issue i gues, after all there is a transformer inside the unit anyway. but hey here people are swearing by exotic power cords that cost a fortune affecting audio performance

these items also could be protected by a transformer less high voltage cutoff and surge spike suppressor.(sorry i cant point you to a brand you can buy,may be others can help)

For hardware protection nothing come close to a double conversion online ups,because you are totally isolated from the mains supply and its unpredictable behavior.but they are not cheap. offline /line interactive ups etc are basically meant to protect the data (PC)not the hardware

Last edited:
Most forum members including me are using ups to power AVR and has not experienced any problem. It is better to get a sinewave online ups.

This may not work as expected

Air conditioner stabilizers have Time Delay System inside it. This is used for maintaining the pressure levels and reducing load on compressor.

In many cases it takes almost 2 minutes to get the power into equipment after a power failure.

I was planning to buy Stabilizer for all of my HT needs. That should drive

1. 46" LED TV
2. Denon 1612
3. Norge 2060
4. Subwoofer
5. Other Required Players etc.

I came across this timtara.com-Indias No.1 Online Electronics Retailer. Shop Online in India for Electronics, Mobiles, Cameras, Appliances, Computers. It is for Air Condition (AC) and protects the AC well. Also, it can take all loads of HT as it has rating of 12Amps(~2700 Watts).

What are the pros and cons of using this stabilizer for safeguarding my equipments?

Anuj, You should ask yourself what you require- Backup / stabilizer or both. If you are looking for a backup go for an online ups but will be very expensive, almost same cost of your equipment (except TV).

For protecting your equipment from voltage fluctuation / surges you need a good stabilizer, not a UPS and a good servo stabilizer w/ surge protector is recommended because of its smooth voltage correction than the stepped correction in normal stabilizers.

The TV got an smps so it really does not need a voltage stabilizer
How I look at this is to protect the smps, not the tv, all the voltage corrections should be handled externally and it should get clean power as fluctuations will reduce the life of the components. I have connected my tv to a servo stabilizer is to protect the PS components in my TV (repairing a TV will be very expensive and once repaired there are chances that it may get repeated, considering the quality of parts that are being used now a days)

Anuj, You should ask yourself what you require- Backup / stabilizer or both.

For protecting your equipment from voltage fluctuation / surges you need a good stabilizer, not a UPS and a good servo stabilizer w/ surge protector is recommended because of its smooth voltage correction than the stepped correction in normal stabilizers.

My requirement is only to protect my equipments from damage not backup. As understood, servo stabilizer is what I need.

My question came as I observed that compressor of AC also need smooth power from fluctuations as it cannot withstand with large corrections.

I have inverter at home which can run in UPS mode however not like online UPS.

My requirement is only to protect my equipments from damage not backup. As understood, servo stabilizer is what I need.

My question came as I observed that compressor of AC also need smooth power from fluctuations as it cannot withstand with large corrections.

I have inverter at home which can run in UPS mode however not like online UPS.

Servo stabilizers will give smooth correction because of the servo motor. The normal AC stabs will not be servo and all are having stepped corrections and in normal cases all of them will work only as cutoff switches.:)

IIRC, forum member avidyarthi is using an ac stabilizer for his av needs. You can contact him for further information.

Back