Stabilizer for HT setup

sound_maestro

Hi All
I calculated my peak input of HT setup to ~850 watts and was about to buy a Vguard stabilizer when I read this:

Transformer Tap Changing AC Voltage Stabilizer
Output Voltage 200 - 240 V from input 167 V - 290 V

This means output voltage will be fluctuating in the range 200V - 240V according to input voltage. If input 167V then output 200V and if input 290V output 240V. But this is not accurate as these stabilizers use tap transformers which simply adds or subtracts some fixed voltage usually 20V, 40V etc. If input 200V 20V added and output 220V , If 240 input 20V reduced and output 220V. The main drawback is voltage threshold for switching may be set on some fixed voltage say 211V so if input 210V 20V added and output 230V if input 212 no switching. So if input voltage is slowly fluctuating in the input range 209 - 214V then output it provides is 229V - 214V that too instantly not gradual which actually harms the electronics device rather than helping.

This model is rated 3 Amps so some 600 VA (~220V x 3A) max load can be connected without straining the transformer.

These kind of stabilizers is not needed for any electronic device and instead connecting some surge protector is far better.

One I would recommend is this, Belkin 8 Socket Surge Protector

Online Shopping India - Shop Online for Books, Mobile Phones, Digital Cameras, Watches & More at Flipkart.com

It have surge suppression from cable, phone, network lines too.

from Reviews V-Guard Crystal Plus Voltage Stabilizer Voltage Stabilizer - Latest Review of V-Guard Crystal Plus Voltage Stabilizer, India | Flipkart.com

Can some one clarify please if its really worth to buy a stabilizer or a belkin surge protector be enough?

If there is a frequent voltage fluctuation in your area, then you go for the stabilizer. The surge protector will protect against surges such as lightning / neutral disconnection, etc. The surge protector shall not protect against normal voltage fluctuations. If possible and budget permits, use both. In Mumbai, there is no voltage fluctuation so I use only a Belkin surge protector.

I'm from a rural place where there is voltage fluctation and frequent power outages. I bought APC Smart-UPS 750VA

It is priced around Rs. 9000

It does Automatic Voltage Regulation (AVR), surge protection and also provides battery backup for my HT with large speakers and 50" LED TV for more than 15 minutes. It has LED indicators which show how much power is consumened, available battery power and the level of input voltage. It always shows low votage during day time and high voltage after 10 pm, which means the voltage levels are pathetic in rural places.

The only issue you may face is the that output connectors are American ( IEC 320 C13 ). I bought a male American connector on RS Components - Electronics, MRO, Automation & Control Component Distributor and attached it to a power strip by removing the indian male plug.

Finally bought a VGuard VG100 off eBay,happy with it.From stabilizer there is a Belkin surge protector.

I'm planning to get a v-guard Crystal Plus for my HT setup, below are my components to be connected.
TV - Samsung 48H6400 - 48" 3D, Smart LED TV.
Audio - Onkyo HT-S3400 - AV receiver with 630W RMS, 5.1 speakers with passive sub.
Blu-ray player - Samsung BD-H6500
may be I've to add a HD set top box (airtel/ videocon) in future.

Can all these run with a single V-guard Crystal Plus?
http://www.snapdeal.com/product/vguard-crystal-plus-voltage-stabilizer/595052
V-Guard Crystal Plus Voltage Stabilizer - V-Guard : Flipkart.com

Stop, do not go with Crystal. Go with V Guard Digi 200. It has 6A capacity and you can connect all your equipment. Probably the best stabilizer from vguard. It has a bigger plug, so you'll need an adapter most likely (Rs 20 Cona would do). I use the same in my HT to drive all my equipment except the projector
V-Guard DIGI 200 Voltage Stabilizer for Television (Grey) - Buy V-Guard DIGI 200 Voltage Stabilizer for Television (Grey) Online at Low Price in India - Amazon.in

Thank you! I've bought DIGI 200 for around 3.8K; good product.

Hi Sash,

I too connected all my AVR with Digi 200. For my projector I connected with APC backup 1100 VA UPS. May I know which UPS or inventor are you using for your projector? Will my APC UPS also protect from voltage fluctuations? although no voltage fluctuations in my apartment.

Hi Sash,

I too connected all my AVR with Digi 200. For my projector I connected with APC backup 1100 VA UPS. May I know which UPS or inventor are you using for your projector? Will my APC UPS also protect from voltage fluctuations? although no voltage fluctuations in my apartment.
I'm using the same UPS as you are i.e. APC back-ups 1100. It takes care of everything including voltage correction and in my experience, the perfect partner for your projector. Please note however that any lesser va (ex: 850 va) will not work in practice. I got that UPS, tried it, didn't work (shutdown due to the power demand from the projector) and then exchanged it for 1100. So to be safe, it is best to get the 1100.
Another point to note - the UPS can operate in two modes "with battery" and "bypassing battery with just voltage correction". Please ensure you use it in "with battery" mode - the default behavior seemed to be "bypassing the battery".

Last edited:
Thank you Sash for the useful information. Could you pls provide me screen shot of the UPS on how to use with Battery mode ..any switch I need to press to make the UPS enable with Battery mode

Regards
Srikar

At the back of the UPS there are two sets of sockets. First set has 2 sockets and labeled "surge protection only", second set has 3 sockets and labeled "battery...". Use the second set of sockets (that has 3 sockets) to connect your projector plug.

Finally took the plunge and bought the V-Guard Digi 200 @ 4k.
Its connected with my Denon AVR (670 watts max) + Polk Audio 550 Sub (160 watts) for protection.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back