Need advice for Japan to Australia Step down transformer

arst

I am australia and I got a denon x1600h form Japanese and I am looking for a step down transofrmer for it.

The X1600H spec indicates 100V 50/60Hz 440W. So I mainly look for 500W ones. Correct me if I am wrong.
1662723392595.png

So far I have found three models:
I intended to buy 8ZED one as it is cheaper until I found tortech. Also this video from tortech:

From the video it seems tortech has better design in some apsects:
It says tortech has 24/7 continous rating but ther othe bran(IT?) is not.
Tortech has thermal cutout the other is not.

I did ask tortech about which I should get for the amplifier, they replied:
For Amplifiers, we usually recommend going for the Isolation unit as it eliminates ground loop interference from the mains.
Unfortunately, the 500W unit is out of stock and so you would have to go for the 1000W unit:
P/N: SD100-1010
Price: $319.90 incl. GST, plus freight

Alternatively, you could go for the ECONOMY unit, however, you could have ground loop interference causing a hum/white noise on your amplifier:
P/N: SD100-500A
Price: $114.90 incl. GST, plus freight
I am not sure this part: "ground loop interference causing a hum/white noise on your amplifie". How bad is it? Will it actually happen? Is it really worth spening extra $75 dollar for isolated one?

Aslo on the second point from this page https://www.tortech.com.au/isolation-vs-economy/
Isolated: Surge can be sustained if occurs in primary input circuit
Economy / Auto Transformer: No protection if a surge occurs on input circuit
How likely will surge actually happen? If happens will it damage the receiver?

For 8ZED 500w, it indicates "Continuous Output: 400 Watts" and "Maximum Output over 1 Hour Period: 500 Watts". Will it be enough for X1600H?
8ZED does not mention thermal cutout will that matter?
Will it also have the problem like ground loop interference causing noise?

I also asked a online staff from wallcann who told me I need to get 2400W one:
Staff:
I'm afraid not, for the amplifier, we have to consider the big surge power as well. It normally goes to 5 times around.
Have to go with the 2400W isolation transformer
Is that true?

The 8ZED (Wallcann) 600W Isolated one has two years warrant, better than tortech 1 year. I assume they are more confident about their product?

Which one should I buy...? Appreicate any advice..

Attachments

• 1662722772959.gif
    1662722772959.gif
    43 bytes · Views: 5
  • 1662722772974.gif
    1662722772974.gif
    43 bytes · Views: 4
  • 1662722772986.gif
    1662722772986.gif
    43 bytes · Views: 5
I am australia and I got a denon x1600h form Japanese and I am looking for a step down transofrmer for it.

The X1600H spec indicates 100V 50/60Hz 440W. So I mainly look for 500W ones. Correct me if I am wrong.
View attachment 71809

I intended to buy 8ZED one as it is cheaper until I found tortech. Also this video from tortech:
That's a sales pitch in the video
From the video it seems tortech has better design in some apsects:
It says tortech has 24/7 continous rating but ther othe bran(IT?) is not.
Tortech has thermal cutout the other is not.

I did ask tortech about which I should get for the amplifier, they replied:

I am not sure this part: "ground loop interference causing a hum/white noise on your amplifie". How bad is it? Will it actually happen? Is it really worth spening extra $75 dollar for isolated one?
Your avr consumption is rated 440 w. It is always better to get a higher rated transformer. Are you going to run your AMP full volume? Don't think so. So the normal consumption of your avr will be lesser than 300w. A 600w rated converter should be safe enough for your avr running full blast.

Regarding ground loop, there are many causes for ground loop. Just by getting a isolation transformer may not prevent ground loop. An isolation transformer does provide safety in having a galvanic isolation of your equipment from the mains and can protect you from electric shock if a malfunction occurs in your avr. But remember that your avr too has safety capacitors inside. So chances of your avr malfunctioning and allowing live mains to get in contact with the metal body is very less.

I believe Australia has a good power supply. So chances of surges from the power supply would be minimal. Do you have frequent lightning in your area? You can also fit power strips which have surge protection and connect the step down to the power strip.

2400 watts sounds like a rip off.

+1

The ratings you see on electrical equipment is the continuous rating unless they specify the duty cycle. In places like Australia I don't think they'd fudge around.

As @mbhangui wrote unless you are going to add another 100V equipment go for the 600W. Ground loop will not be an issue since most a/v equipment are double insulated (the two squares you can see on that rating plate) and two pin plugs. It will come into play when you have multiple grounds running in the system through interconnects and ground wires from the amp, preamp, CDP, tape deck etc. running to different sockets. With a common power strip this will be more or less eliminated.

Wow....really appreicate for the replies... I learnt a lot from you. I asked around many forums only here gives me quick and greate answers...

I will defintely not run AMP with full volume... the neightbor gonna report me. 😅

So looks like the economic way is to buy 8ZED 500W $110 or Tortech [Economy] 500W $114.9 plus a power strip, which will be more or less eliminated the ground loop, also prevent surges from the power supply. Or get 8ZED 1000W $128 or Tortech [ECONOMY] 1000W $169 to have more power.

Last edited:
For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back