• Hello and Welcome to HiFiVision.com - an online community for the home entertainment and tech enthusiasts!

If you would like to ask a question, participate in a discussion and view attachments please Register yourself.

Step down transformer for AVRX2100

Wharfedale Diamond 12 Series

congo462

Hello Experts,

I bought a AVR X2100 Denon from the US. To this amp I will be connecting 2 standing speakers, 1 center and 1 sub. The spec says power consumption is 500W. Based on reading from multiple threads I understand I need to get a 1KVA step down transformer. I was also hoping to connect my Samsung LED 55" TV (from the US) to the same step-down. I also have a voltage protection Panamax M8-AV-PRO which requires 120v line input (https://www.panamax.com/product/max-8-av-pro-8-ac-coax-and-tel-avm-line-filtration-M8-AV-PRO) and offers automatic voltage shut-off.

Guidance required on the below questions:

1) Can I use the same step down transformer to connect both my TV and Amp ? In that case will 1Kva be enough or do I need to go for 2KVA.
2) I have auto voltage shut-off plug point. Do I still need a stabiliser ?
3) Wall -> Step-down -> Voltage shut off extension -> Connect both TV and Amp. Will this work fine ?

Thanks all for the help.

Dr.Lakshay

Hello Experts,

I bought a AVR X2100 Denon from the US. To this amp I will be connecting 2 standing speakers, 1 center and 1 sub. The spec says power consumption is 500W. Based on reading from multiple threads I understand I need to get a 1KVA step down transformer. I was also hoping to connect my Samsung LED 55" TV (from the US) to the same step-down. I also have a voltage protection Panamax M8-AV-PRO which requires 120v line input (https://www.panamax.com/product/max-8-av-pro-8-ac-coax-and-tel-avm-line-filtration-M8-AV-PRO) and offers automatic voltage shut-off.

1) Can I use the same step down transformer to connect both my TV and Amp ? In that case will 1Kva be enough or do I need to go for 2KVA.
3) Wall -> Step-down -> Voltage shut off extension -> Connect both TV and Amp. Will this work fine ?

Thanks all for the help.
Will you be connecting a sub that runs on 110v as well? If yes please check its wattage too.
Please also check the max rated wattage of your 55" TV.
I would prefer to go for a step down transformer about 20% more wattage than your total setup max wattage.
For example if avr + tv = 800watts then yes 1kva transformer will be enough. But if it even touches 850 watts go for 1.5kva step down transformer.
I myself am using maxine step down transformer and it works without any problem. Even checked the output voltage via multimeter an it gives a steady 110v for me.
So if your area isn't succeptible to voltage fluctuations you can live without a voltage stabilizer. A surge guard is a good addition always.

congo462

Will you be connecting a sub that runs on 110v as well? If yes please check its wattage too.
Please also check the max rated wattage of your 55" TV.
I would prefer to go for a step down transformer about 20% more wattage than your total setup max wattage.
For example if avr + tv = 800watts then yes 1kva transformer will be enough. But if it even touches 850 watts go for 1.5kva step down transformer.
I myself am using maxine step down transformer and it works without any problem. Even checked the output voltage via multimeter an it gives a steady 110v for me.
So if your area isn't succeptible to voltage fluctuations you can live without a voltage stabilizer. A surge guard is a good addition always.

Thanks Dr Lakshay for your response. I will be using this in Mumbai (Goregaon).

AVR 500W
Sub 400W
TV ~160W

For the above, is it a good idea to go for 1.5KVA or 2 KVA. Just to clarify, by surge guard you mean the auto voltage shut off ?

Wall -> Step-down -> Voltage shut off extension -> Connect both TV and Amp. Will this work fine ?

edjamesx

Hello Experts,

Thanks all for the help.
Go with maxine step down transformer : i got one and using it for more than 10 years , no issues still.

Get two dedicated step downs for TV and amp to have minimal issues.
auto voltage shut-off plug point will be good enough to protect from very high/low voltage , if you have very frequent voltage fluctuations in your area , you can get Stabilizer as well , so your TV ,AMP will work seemlessly and wont worry about voltage fluctuations.

Your AVR will have power output option (120v ) which you can connect to other digital devices. AVR need to be turned on to power output
My AVR got from USA have power output option which i connected to powered sub same i got it from USA.

congo462

Go with maxine step down transformer : i got one and using it for more than 10 years , no issues still.

Get two dedicated step downs for TV and amp to have minimal issues.
auto voltage shut-off plug point will be good enough to protect from very high/low voltage , if you have very frequent voltage fluctuations in your area , you can get Stabilizer as well , so your TV ,AMP will work seemlessly and wont worry about voltage fluctuations.

Your AVR will have power output option (120v ) which you can connect to other digital devices. AVR need to be turned on to power output
My AVR got from USA have power output option which i connected to powered sub same i got it from USA.

Unfortunately my AVR doesn't have a power output option. So I will have to connect the AVR + Sub to one step down. And I will have to get another stepdown for my TV as well.

Should I got for 1.5KVA step down for AVR + Sub and a 0.5KVA for TV alone ?

edjamesx

Unfortunately my AVR doesn't have a power output option.
oh thats Sad... I had ONKYO amplifier that have power output option so i did not need to purchase one more step down.

And I will have to get another stepdown for my TV as well.
I am not sure exactly about power watts calculation ... I got 650 watts step down transformer for AVR alone i remember. You may have to double...i think you should go for 1.2 KV or more to power AVR + SUB.
You may check with maxine or what ever brand you are purchasing.

Now a days TVs are coming with universal compatible voltage... Check your manual whether it supports 240V..in this case you just need adapter.

i would suggest to get dedicated step downs for each device . If one goes out you can easily replace .

By the way these days customs are very strict in Ariport ..charging heavy duty for the foreign purchase .. Were you be able to bypass this?.
I am planning to upgrade my AVR & i am travelling to singapore next week... if AVR is cheaper i will pick up one considered there' no heavy duty on customs..

congo462

Will the sub run on 220v or 110v?

Yes
The sub runs on 110v.
oh thats Sad... I had ONKYO amplifier that have power output option so i did not need to purchase one more step down.

I am not sure exactly about power watts calculation ... I got 650 watts step down transformer for AVR alone i remember. You may have to double...i think you should go for 1.2 KV or more to power AVR + SUB.
You may check with maxine or what ever brand you are purchasing.

Now a days TVs are coming with universal compatible voltage... Check your manual whether it supports 240V..in this case you just need adapter.

i would suggest to get dedicated step downs for each device . If one goes out you can easily replace .

By the way these days customs are very strict in Ariport ..charging heavy duty for the foreign purchase .. Were you be able to bypass this?.
I am planning to upgrade my AVR & i am travelling to singapore next week... if AVR is cheaper i will pick up one considered there' no heavy duty on customs..

Thanks for the response. I moved back from the US hence I shipped my HT system. Yes, I did pay customs but since I used for more than 2 years they charged me accordingly.

blackscorpio

Thanks Dr Lakshay for your response. I will be using this in Mumbai (Goregaon).

AVR 500W
Sub 400W
TV ~160W

For the above, is it a good idea to go for 1.5KVA or 2 KVA. Just to clarify, by surge guard you mean the auto voltage shut off ?

Wall -> Step-down -> Voltage shut off extension -> Connect both TV and Amp. Will this work fine ?

1.5kva minimum,2kva is better, for the AVR+SUB combo
500va for TV

Better to have separate step-downs for audio & video.

What sub is that you have?

congo462

1.5kva minimum,2kva is better, for the AVR+SUB combo
500va for TV

Better to have separate step-downs for audio & video.

What sub is that you have?

Thanks. I plan to have separate for Audio and Video. I have Martin Logan 700W sub.

congo462

Thanks all for your response. Is it better to get a auto-wound or isolation step-down? Thoughts?