Step down transformer for AVRX2100

congo462

Hello Experts,

I bought a AVR X2100 Denon from the US. To this amp I will be connecting 2 standing speakers, 1 center and 1 sub. The spec says power consumption is 500W. Based on reading from multiple threads I understand I need to get a 1KVA step down transformer. I was also hoping to connect my Samsung LED 55" TV (from the US) to the same step-down. I also have a voltage protection Panamax M8-AV-PRO which requires 120v line input (https://www.panamax.com/product/max-8-av-pro-8-ac-coax-and-tel-avm-line-filtration-M8-AV-PRO) and offers automatic voltage shut-off.

Guidance required on the below questions:

1) Can I use the same step down transformer to connect both my TV and Amp ? In that case will 1Kva be enough or do I need to go for 2KVA.
2) I have auto voltage shut-off plug point. Do I still need a stabiliser ?
3) Wall -> Step-down -> Voltage shut off extension -> Connect both TV and Amp. Will this work fine ?

Thanks all for the help.

Hello Experts,

I bought a AVR X2100 Denon from the US. To this amp I will be connecting 2 standing speakers, 1 center and 1 sub. The spec says power consumption is 500W. Based on reading from multiple threads I understand I need to get a 1KVA step down transformer. I was also hoping to connect my Samsung LED 55" TV (from the US) to the same step-down. I also have a voltage protection Panamax M8-AV-PRO which requires 120v line input (https://www.panamax.com/product/max-8-av-pro-8-ac-coax-and-tel-avm-line-filtration-M8-AV-PRO) and offers automatic voltage shut-off.

1) Can I use the same step down transformer to connect both my TV and Amp ? In that case will 1Kva be enough or do I need to go for 2KVA.
3) Wall -> Step-down -> Voltage shut off extension -> Connect both TV and Amp. Will this work fine ?

Thanks all for the help.
Will you be connecting a sub that runs on 110v as well? If yes please check its wattage too.
Please also check the max rated wattage of your 55" TV.
I would prefer to go for a step down transformer about 20% more wattage than your total setup max wattage.
For example if avr + tv = 800watts then yes 1kva transformer will be enough. But if it even touches 850 watts go for 1.5kva step down transformer.
I myself am using maxine step down transformer and it works without any problem. Even checked the output voltage via multimeter an it gives a steady 110v for me.
So if your area isn't succeptible to voltage fluctuations you can live without a voltage stabilizer. A surge guard is a good addition always.

Will you be connecting a sub that runs on 110v as well? If yes please check its wattage too.
Please also check the max rated wattage of your 55" TV.
I would prefer to go for a step down transformer about 20% more wattage than your total setup max wattage.
For example if avr + tv = 800watts then yes 1kva transformer will be enough. But if it even touches 850 watts go for 1.5kva step down transformer.
I myself am using maxine step down transformer and it works without any problem. Even checked the output voltage via multimeter an it gives a steady 110v for me.
So if your area isn't succeptible to voltage fluctuations you can live without a voltage stabilizer. A surge guard is a good addition always.

Thanks Dr Lakshay for your response. I will be using this in Mumbai (Goregaon).

AVR 500W
Sub 400W
TV ~160W

For the above, is it a good idea to go for 1.5KVA or 2 KVA. Just to clarify, by surge guard you mean the auto voltage shut off ?

Wall -> Step-down -> Voltage shut off extension -> Connect both TV and Amp. Will this work fine ?

Hello Experts,

Thanks all for the help.
Go with maxine step down transformer : i got one and using it for more than 10 years , no issues still.

Get two dedicated step downs for TV and amp to have minimal issues.
auto voltage shut-off plug point will be good enough to protect from very high/low voltage , if you have very frequent voltage fluctuations in your area , you can get Stabilizer as well , so your TV ,AMP will work seemlessly and wont worry about voltage fluctuations.

Your AVR will have power output option (120v ) which you can connect to other digital devices. AVR need to be turned on to power output
My AVR got from USA have power output option which i connected to powered sub same i got it from USA.

Go with maxine step down transformer : i got one and using it for more than 10 years , no issues still.

Get two dedicated step downs for TV and amp to have minimal issues.
auto voltage shut-off plug point will be good enough to protect from very high/low voltage , if you have very frequent voltage fluctuations in your area , you can get Stabilizer as well , so your TV ,AMP will work seemlessly and wont worry about voltage fluctuations.

Your AVR will have power output option (120v ) which you can connect to other digital devices. AVR need to be turned on to power output
My AVR got from USA have power output option which i connected to powered sub same i got it from USA.

Unfortunately my AVR doesn't have a power output option. So I will have to connect the AVR + Sub to one step down. And I will have to get another stepdown for my TV as well.

Should I got for 1.5KVA step down for AVR + Sub and a 0.5KVA for TV alone ?

Unfortunately my AVR doesn't have a power output option.
oh thats Sad... I had ONKYO amplifier that have power output option so i did not need to purchase one more step down.

And I will have to get another stepdown for my TV as well.
I am not sure exactly about power watts calculation ... I got 650 watts step down transformer for AVR alone i remember. You may have to double...i think you should go for 1.2 KV or more to power AVR + SUB.
You may check with maxine or what ever brand you are purchasing.

Now a days TVs are coming with universal compatible voltage... Check your manual whether it supports 240V..in this case you just need adapter.

i would suggest to get dedicated step downs for each device . If one goes out you can easily replace .

By the way these days customs are very strict in Ariport ..charging heavy duty for the foreign purchase .. Were you be able to bypass this?.
I am planning to upgrade my AVR & i am travelling to singapore next week... if AVR is cheaper i will pick up one considered there' no heavy duty on customs..

Will the sub run on 220v or 110v?

Yes
The sub runs on 110v.
oh thats Sad... I had ONKYO amplifier that have power output option so i did not need to purchase one more step down.

I am not sure exactly about power watts calculation ... I got 650 watts step down transformer for AVR alone i remember. You may have to double...i think you should go for 1.2 KV or more to power AVR + SUB.
You may check with maxine or what ever brand you are purchasing.

Now a days TVs are coming with universal compatible voltage... Check your manual whether it supports 240V..in this case you just need adapter.

i would suggest to get dedicated step downs for each device . If one goes out you can easily replace .

By the way these days customs are very strict in Ariport ..charging heavy duty for the foreign purchase .. Were you be able to bypass this?.
I am planning to upgrade my AVR & i am travelling to singapore next week... if AVR is cheaper i will pick up one considered there' no heavy duty on customs..

Thanks for the response. I moved back from the US hence I shipped my HT system. Yes, I did pay customs but since I used for more than 2 years they charged me accordingly.

Thanks Dr Lakshay for your response. I will be using this in Mumbai (Goregaon).

AVR 500W
Sub 400W
TV ~160W

For the above, is it a good idea to go for 1.5KVA or 2 KVA. Just to clarify, by surge guard you mean the auto voltage shut off ?

Wall -> Step-down -> Voltage shut off extension -> Connect both TV and Amp. Will this work fine ?

1.5kva minimum,2kva is better, for the AVR+SUB combo
500va for TV

Better to have separate step-downs for audio & video.

What sub is that you have?

Hello Experts,

Thanks all for the help.
I got a quality transformer from Aulten, my requirement was for USA 120v AVR, so had a long chat with Aulten executive, just to confirm the product compatibility and quality, they are very good at providing resolution and transformer quality is excellent.
You can contact Aulten voltage converters at 9811597709, you can chat with them on Whatsapp also.
Aulten 1KVA 800W 220V to 110V Step Down Voltage Converter with Universal Socket (White), this will do the job, I am using the same with no issues, no humming, no heating.
Hope this helps,
Regards

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back