Can I bring 12" Subwoofer as checked in luggage from USA to India

ramesh_1508

Hi guys,

I need some direction here. My friend have purchased R2S-1X12 Prime 12" R2S Shallow Loaded Enclosure 12" subwoofer and a amp for me. He is pursuing in USA and he visiting India next week I.e on 12th may from US to hyderabad by British airways via London.

Im not sure if it is allowed to check in subwoofer as checked in luggage. The subwoofer is 14kg with 12" inch driver.

He called up flight office and they says it depends on the strength of the magnet.

Has any one ever traveled with a subwoofer checked in, will there will be any problem with customs in USA and hyderabad. Please let me know as myfriend travel is next week. Please help

Hi guys,

I need some direction here. My friend have purchased R2S-1X12 Prime 12" R2S Shallow Loaded Enclosure 12" subwoofer and a amp for me. He is pursuing in USA and he visiting India next week I.e on 12th may from US to hyderabad by British airways via London.

Im not sure if it is allowed to check in subwoofer as checked in luggage. The subwoofer is 14kg with 12" inch driver.

He called up flight office and they says it depends on the strength of the magnet.

Has any one ever traveled with a subwoofer checked in, will there will be any problem with customs in USA and hyderabad. Please let me know as myfriend travel is next week. Please help

I don't think there should be a problem. I have checked in and brought a HTIB, a KEF 5.1 speaker system and also a 2.1 PC speaker system all with sub-woofers from the U.S. without any problems. The TSA will probably open it up to check the contents but other than that you should be fine.

Thank u for the reply guys.
Please help me with another query guys.

My friend came to know that if anyone carrying subwoofe their baggage will be marked 'x' by TSA. If 'x' is marked then what does it means. Will it be a problem for my friend at exit or else were. Actually this is the first time my friend traveling from US to India.

Hi guys,

Carrying will be a hassle with such a heavy item even if its within the specified limits and more over risk with damage especially with the cone. Also keep in mind that the amp of the sub will be US voltage and you need to buy a step down transformer to run in India because of the difference in the wall voltage.

Thank u for the reply guys.
Please help me with another query guys.

My friend came to know that if anyone carrying subwoofe their baggage will be marked 'x' by TSA. If 'x' is marked then what does it means. Will it be a problem for my friend at exit or else were. Actually this is the first time my friend traveling from US to India.

Actually the 'x' mark is made by Indian customs, not TSA of the U.S., to denote that there is some dutiable item in your bag. You have to show receipts and prove that it along with any other stuff that your friend is carrying falls below the dutiable value if your bags are checked. Don't know about Hyderabad customs but Bangalore customs usually waves you through if your flight is from the U.S. and if you just tell them that it is below dutiable value even if it is marked (i.e. if you are not having 10 suitcases marked with 'x' piled on top of each other in your cart :)).

Last edited:
Carrying will be a hassle with such a heavy item even if its within the specified limits and more over risk with damage especially with the cone. Also keep in mind that the amp of the sub will be US voltage and you need to buy a step down transformer to run in India because of the difference in the wall voltage.

Thank u manniraj, Does this applies for Car subwoofer and amp also ?

X basically is to denote something that was wither not identified in the XRay or something might potentially be dutiable. I have brought multiple 12inch subwoofer drivers and plate amps without a problem.

Thank u manniraj, Does this applies for Car subwoofer and amp also ?

I think car subs amps run on DC voltage (meaning car batteries) so should not be an issue with the voltage differences. But yes it will be same as the regular HT subs quite heavy and risk in transit and also chances of custom duties. But if your intention is to get a car sub/amp and build a powered subwoofer for HT I doubt the performance of how effective it will be in a home environment compared to a car. There are some threads where members have built a HT sub using a car subwoofer and also amplifier with SMPS but I am not aware how good that is.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back