hometheather speakers as checked in luggage

Hi Thanks.
I have 2 queries which may help others also :

1. Does this AVR supports PAL video inputs also without any issues from our India cable boxes
2. Did you put in a checked luggage and was there an inspection note ?

humveeguy

1) I think someone answered this.
2) Yes, I did get a note of inspection by the TSA, I had the reciever within its original packing inside my suitcase, so it was decently packed.

just to build up your confidence. I brought a Mordaunt Short 12" sub from Singapore to Chennai without any problems (obviously a bigger magnet i guess) and also book shelf speakers. There should be absolutely no problem, just pack it nicely/fit and check it in

Swami

I've carried HSU sub US to B'lore, in Emirates without any problem
Hi there, Im putting the subwoofer in a 12x12x12 card box within a 28 inch zipper suitcase. How did u manage it. After the TSA inspection will they properly close it and secure them as before ?

humveeguy

TSA does a very good job of repacking. In fact if they do not leave a note that they have inspected the contents you may not even notice that the suitcase has been opened

Hi guys..

With your feedback, I took the courage to get the home theater in a risky checked baggage and that too the subwoofer on a zippered suitcase purchased at the last moment. All Survived 3 transits from US to Bangalore and I saw that TSA has checked the subwoofer. All is well, and speakers are home now in good condition.

The point for any one else in future is, if u r checking in a powerful speaker first get a 5$ magnetic compass and check if there is deflection of 2 degrees or more when placed 15 feet from the speaker. If yes, try to avoid or do the shielding process, .
http://www.intemag.com/shipping_magnets_by_air.html

I think, majority of the speakers we purchase now are shielded and only few subwofers may have such fields. Good Shielding foils are available online for 10 to 50 dollars which is a very good way to wrap to have a safe flight also for everyone. We can shield with a steel sheet over the magnet or put the speaker in a steel box . I came to know all at last moment but my sub woofer was a small one.

hg...

Last edited:
Shielding can be obtained by stainless steel katories if it is possible to open the speaker cabinet.

Hi folks,

I would like to do the next step. Is it possible to carry a Floor stander as part of carry on as as extra luggage. Im looking at get a KEF Q700 floor stander in my next travel. Any one has experience how they managed to do and the cost aspects ? Will it be worth to do that ?

hg

I guess you know the dimension constraints for check in(I'm assuming here that you typed carry on by error) baggage? If not, check if your airline has one and that the floorstanders meet the spec. I have a feeling that on both weight and dimensions you may exceed the limits.

Hi,
I am thinking of buying the B&W 685 s2 speakers and a PS4 from the UK and planning to carry them to India as checked in luggage. Will I have to pay customs on these?

Thank you

Yes, if the value of declared goods is more than 45K.
The assessment of value is based on the price list customs officials have and not on your purchase price.
Check if you qualify for UK VAT refund program, since you are hand carrying the items.

Cheers,
Raghu

Howdy,

My Dada recently gotbose lifestyle 525 from Dubai. He discarded the main big box and then put all the satellite speakers, wires and avr in a big suitcase wrapped with clothes. As for the subwoofer, it comes in a box. He shrink wrapped the whole thing twice. Could hardly make out what was inside those shrink wraps.

He did not have any problems until he was checking out in Bangalore. My sis and dad noticed a "x" mark on the suitcase in which speakers were there. My dad immediately rubbed those marks in a wet napkin. After that no problems. Nobody even stopped him.

All the best.

Hi

Some have the luck to give the slip to customs....whoever intends to get speakers or AVRs should evaluate all options in terms of weight, airline costing, possible customs, warranty.....then take a call if it is worth the risk....

Recently brought my entire wharfedale setup from Bangkok.. Consisting of front bs,surrounds, centre and onkyo atmos speakers.. No issues at Delhi airport.. Though the custom guy did asked what all are these boxes and me & my wife just replied we are coming after 15 days.. That's it.. Good to go. Custom guy saw the boxes but could not read what was written on them :: Wharfedale: Britain's most famous loud speaker... Lol...

I carried my klipsch 5.0 speakers openly in it's original packing box but none stopped me. It's right that per person upto 45K worth of goods are allowed. For couple, it's going to be 90K. I think that's great.

Hi folks,

I need some direction here. I have purchased KEF KHT 2005.3 system with a compact kube subwoofer. But I have to travel from US to Bangalore.

Im not sure if it is allowed to check in speakers as luggage.
The subwoofer is 10 kg with 8 inch driver and I have 5 other small satellites.

I called up flight office and they says it depends on the strength of the magnet.

Has any one ever traveled with a speaker or home theater checked in. Please let me know as my travel is next week. Please help:sad:

HG

I brought my SVS PB-1000 from US in luggage, no problem at all. If they ask at check-in whats inside just say 'old speakers'. DO make sure though it is well protected, they will throw it around like any piece of luggage!

I brought my SVS PB-1000 from US in luggage, no problem at all. If they ask at check-in whats inside just say 'old speakers'. DO make sure though it is well protected, they will throw it around like any piece of luggage!

Hi, How did you manage to get in the luggage, have you checked it as a separate baggage. I am currently in UK thinking of getting SVS - SB1000.
As this is 13 inch cube, I think I can keep it in Checked baggage with few clothes as protection.
Please suggest.

Mahi if you get affirmative answer for the post, get 1 more of SVS SB1000 for me That way Is gave duals lol.

Should not be a problem. I have brought B&W 683, 684 towers, B&W ASW 675 sub, Jamo D7 LCR, D6 SURR & BACKS and BOSE AM15 too. all as checked in baggage In emirates from Dubai. comparing the above your speaker package is nothing.

R. Balagopalan.

How did you actually take the tower speakers and SUB ? I have 2 klipsch tower speakers and energy sub 10" totally it will be coming around 50Kgs how can i take this.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back