Can i play my TV channel audio and PS3 through 5.1 blu ray HT like sony samsung

mayur553

Hi Guys,

sorry if its a a repost. i tried finding a solution but couldnt.

I am planning to buy a 51 inch pannasonic plasma... and a bluray player... i am not goin for AV reciver.

my concern is:
1. If i want to us my 5.1 speakers to play audio from my tv channels how do i do that??
2. If i am playing my PS3 will i get audio output from the 5.1??
3. Which bluray HT to buy... budget around 20k.

I am planning to go to theshop in andheri mumbai... so wanted to know things in advance... so that i dont get fooled...

Also does anyone know any shop for a good audio video solution...

Regards
Mayur

Mayur,
Seems you already have 5.1 speakers (only). I am assuming you need external power to drive the speakers.

You can if the BD/DVD player supports 5.1 or 7.1 out. I dont think it is possible to connect speakers to TV; TVs are usually stereo and without amp it would not be efficient/effective to connect speakers.

Last edited:
The problem with so called blu-ray hts is that they have limited connectivity option. None of them may feature hdmi inputs. Some may have optical or coaxial inputs. I suggest you to up your budget and buy Onkyo 3500/3400.

1. If i want to us my 5.1 speakers to play audio from my tv channels how do i do that??

Your 51" TV should have optical out which you can connect to HTIB.

You will get 5.1. But as I said before, invest in a good htib like Onkyo 3500. These have 4 hdmi inputs and a couple of digital and analog inputs.

Hi Guys,

sorry if its a a repost. i tried finding a solution but couldnt.

I am planning to buy a 51 inch pannasonic plasma... and a bluray player... i am not goin for AV reciver.

my concern is:
3. Which bluray HT to buy... budget around 20k.

I am planning to go to theshop in andheri mumbai... so wanted to know things in advance... so that i dont get fooled...

Also does anyone know any shop for a good audio video solution...

Regards
Mayur

I think you are a bit confused. Basically what you are looking for is a blu-ray based HTiB if you are wanting to enjoy blu-ray player and 5.1 sound without a separate AVR. usually they offer limited input options, you will have to see how many digital input connection that the model you choose allows. While I am not very much aware of HTiBs, I would guess 20k is too little a budget to get a blu-ray based HTiB with multiple input options.

As far as connecting your TV and getting 5.1/2 channel sound goes, u need to first understand a few things:

1. whether the sound will be 5.1 or 2.1 or 2.0 (representing number of channels in the sound) depends on the source; i.e. whether the program/equipment that is transmitting the audio signal has 5.1 sound or stereo sound. You haven't mentioned whether you are using digital HD cable or normal cable. As of now you have multichannel surround sound only from the HD channels offered by different service providers, 5.1 sound is not available for any of the non-HD channels as of now either on DTH or on digital cable like hathway
2. Even if a programming material is 2 channel, it can be converted to 5/7 channel. its called dolby pro logic/neo, its a patented technology, and if the HTiB you are buying supports it, the pro logic logo will be there outside, or will be at least written in the specifications in the manual.
3. as far as your PS3 is concerned, it has a optical out and all games are encoded with 5.1 sound, so, as long as the HTiB you buy has a spare optical port, you will be able to connect your PS3 on it.
4.Similarly, if you have a HD set top box, that will have either or both a optical and/or a coaxial out to transmit 5.1 channel sound, depending on which brand you use, you will have to see whether teh HTiB you are buying has that input option or not.
5. finally, why are you buying a blu-ray player at all if you have a PS3? Its a damn good blu-ray player in itself. What you should be buying is a AVR+5.1 channel package from preferably Onkyo/JBL, they are far far better than the standard stuff from sony, samsung etc. but, you may have to spend a little extra money, probably may have to stretch your budget to 25k or so. But in that you will have all the input options you need.
6. For some reason if u still buy a blu-ray based HTiB and are unable to find one in your budget with enough input options, to simplify matters buy a TV which supports optical ARC (audio return channel). In this way all your sound sources which connect through HDMI like PS3, HD STB, blu-ray player etc. will transmit the sound to the TV through HDMI and the TV can transmit that sound to the HTiB through an optical cable.

hope i didn't confuse you further with all the information :)

Thanks ravi... thanks Kaushik....

Actually i havent bought anything.... i was just planning to get my cables concealed in my new home...

the main purpose of my TV would be watching movies 40% and games 60%

So i thought to find a cheap solution without putting in money for AVR... I thought with a DVD or a blu ray player HT... i will get a player as well as speaker... and i wont need to use my PS3 to play DVD's...

What AVR would you guys prefer... how about Yamaha YHT 196... i am getting that for 21k... including speakers..

i would be really grateful if you could help me on the AVR and also on the Bluray or normal DVD HT....

BTW i am planning to buy Panasonice plasma 51"... i hope its a good choice... :) any suggestions on the TV is also welcome... my budget for that is 60-70k...

Thanks once again guys... Its tough for a noob to take such technical decisions... :)

Last edited:
Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back