Can I re-use my old subwoofer

Hello experts,
I have an AltecLancing ATP3 (2.1) system. I am thinking to selling this. But I like the subwoofer performance (floor firing driver). Currently I have PM7001 amp and BS speakers. Can I use the Altec Sub for this setup? Is it possible to alter the system so that I dont want other speakers (4 tweeters , 2 mids) only the subwoofer driver to work?
Can anybody help me to convert this into a pure Sub?

regards,
anand krishnan

You need to check amp(SW) input section & then disconnecting it from others,need to creat seperate input & may it work with 7001.
Consult any expert.

Normally subwoofers worked as powered subs-they have a dedicated amp and a dedicated active crossover. I see no reason why you cannot convert your speaker into an active sub-you should be aware though that active sub drivers are primarily for LF and if a driver is not designed/well suited for subwoofer duty the performance will not be of the highest order.

Hello experts,
Is it possible to alter the system so that I dont want other speakers (4 tweeters , 2 mids) only the subwoofer driver to work?

guess he is telling that the sub doesnt work independent of the speakers in his ATP3 (power switch on the speaker?) and needs to know how to use them seperately ... correct me if am wrong

Oh-you mean he wants to know if he can disconnect the wires and reconnect only the woofer? Easier said than done-what is the enclosure size, etc? How will the driver perform by itself? Easiest thing to do is to try it see if/how it works!

George

Hello experts,
I have an AltecLancing ATP3 (2.1) system. I am thinking to selling this. But I like the subwoofer performance (floor firing driver). Currently I have PM7001 amp and BS speakers. Can I use the Altec Sub for this setup? Is it possible to alter the system so that I dont want other speakers (4 tweeters , 2 mids) only the subwoofer driver to work?
Can anybody help me to convert this into a pure Sub?

regards,
anand krishnan

Hi
Anand Krishnan
The ATP3 is such a good 2.1 Speaker and VFM Product. you can use it as a secondary system or for casual listening , Using the sub of ATP3 is not a great idea , because the PM 7001 deserves even better speakers and sub ( if at all u want one)

Dev.

Hi Anand,

I suggest not to go for any alteration on the ATP3's sub. Even on successful alteration, I am sure that you will be disappointed with the sub's performance bcoz basically it is a multi-media subwoofer and it has it's own limitations on frequency handling and volume level. So it is advisable to sell the ATP3 package to someone and buy a dedicated powered (active) subwoofer. Try the wharfedale SW150. Very decent performer for the money you pay. Approx 14-15K after discount. MRP (17K).

Cheers,
Ramesh @ Bangalore

Thanks for the suggestions. In ATP3, the best thing is its SUb and design.
And I guess the sub is decent enough for me to add to my BSs.

Instead of selling those, thought of converting.
The powersupply unit and amp is inside the sub module. But the controls are outside on one of the satellite.

I think I can change these controls inside the sub itself. And I can take pre-out of PM7001 to this?
this is the subject.

http://www.amazon.com/Altec-Lansing-ATP3-3-Piece-Speaker/dp/B00004XRED

Last edited:
Anand - the ATP 2.1 system is strictly a multimedia system. And a bass heavy system at that. Your PM7001 would be far better with just a pair of bookshelf speakers. And if absolute gut thumping bass output is needed, then you might want to look at a separate powered sub. Something like the Wharfedale SW150 perhaps.

As far as computer speakers go, the Altec Lansing MX5021 is many leagues better than the ATP3. No offense meant whatsoever, of course.

Hi Anand,

I suggest not to go for any alteration on the ATP3's sub. Even on successful alteration, I am sure that you will be disappointed with the sub's performance bcoz basically it is a multi-media subwoofer and it has it's own limitations on frequency handling and volume level. So it is advisable to sell the ATP3 package to someone and buy a dedicated powered (active) subwoofer. Try the wharfedale SW150. Very decent performer for the money you pay. Approx 14-15K after discount. MRP (17K).

Cheers,
Ramesh @ Bangalore
Sorry... Off Topic..
Hi Ramesh, Where do you get SW150 for 15K in Bangalore? I thought the present price is 19K+...

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back