Can we use MiniDSP 2x4 HD for 3.1 setup without AVR?

k_vijay12

Folks, I have a vague idea. Paradon my noob question, actually I was reading on active crossovers and stumbled upon the MiniDSP 2x4HD. It has 2 input sources / 4 outputs. Coaxial, Toslink and USB source inputs are also present.

Can we use this as a sound processor such that from Toslink input, to connect powered LCR + Sub (3.1) as outputs? One input source to all 4 outputs. This kind application is not mentioned in the "Application Notes" section of webpage. Also this would be easy to connect from TV which has option of Toslink, Coaxial as sound output.

Something like this can be a great solution as we get the flexibility to add Center channel and sub instead of just LR stereo when used with a 3.5mm stereo pin. My thinking is adding a good powered center channel significantly improves our TV / movies experience. Plus benefit of an active Sub for Bass. But then the decoding of center channel and sub should come to the Toslink signal. Did any one of you try this ? Any idea on how the sound quality would be assuming this works ?

Please let me know your thoughts on this.

No, it doesn't work like that. The Minidsp 2X4HD does not have processing capability for Center or any kind of Surround processing. In the first place it can take only a stereo input/PCM, be it either USB or Toslink. The best you can do is just sum inputs of both L&R and give it to the center channel, but that is still going to keep all the information on the Left & Right as is, which is not how HT processing works. The Minidsp 2X4HD is good for LR+sub or when AVR's lack multiple sub outs and processing on them. I have not been able to find a cheap alternative to an AV processor, as most of the processing are patented, I believe.

Folks, I have a vague idea. Paradon my noob question, actually I was reading on active crossovers and stumbled upon the MiniDSP 2x4HD. It has 2 input sources / 4 outputs. Coaxial, Toslink and USB source inputs are also present.

Can we use this as a sound processor such that from Toslink input, to connect powered LCR + Sub (3.1) as outputs? One input source to all 4 outputs. This kind application is not mentioned in the "Application Notes" section of webpage. Also this would be easy to connect from TV which has option of Toslink, Coaxial as sound output.

Something like this can be a great solution as we get the flexibility to add Center channel and sub instead of just LR stereo when used with a 3.5mm stereo pin. My thinking is adding a good powered center channel significantly improves our TV / movies experience. Plus benefit of an active Sub for Bass. But then the decoding of center channel and sub should come to the Toslink signal. Did any one of you try this ? Any idea on how the sound quality would be assuming this works ?

Please let me know your thoughts on this.
It will not work like that .
There are other product from minidsp like Nano AVR which will have capability of processing.But I think it's a costly one for which u can able to source an actual AVR itself.

It will not work like that .
There are other product from minidsp like Nano AVR which will have capability of processing.But I think it's a costly one for which u can able to source an actual AVR itself.
Thanks for the revert. Yes at that price point , we will get a used 7.1 AVR. Not much of benefit

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back