Can you bridge an AVR?

Dhruv.Arora

Hello folks,

I wanted to know if it’s possible to bridge a multichannel AVR to increase the power to a single channel.

I am using a Denon x6300h which claims to output 140w per channel. I am using the pre out for the LR to connect to Indiqaudio Platinum Sapta to drive Polk RTI A7s.

I have a Polk CSI A6 Center channel which is bi amp capable, currently bi wired to the Denon.

I have a Onkyo Txnr 515 lying unused which claims to output around 100w per channel. I wanted to know if I use a RCA splitter on the Center channel pre out and use the bi wired Center channel to connect to the AVR in a bridged setup. Black on the left channel and Red on the right channel of the amp. Will this double to power of the AVR to the center? Is this dangerous for the AVR or speaker? Will it be sound better due to increase in power? I had been actively bi amping the Center with the AVR but couldn’t hear a noticeable difference possibly because the Onkyo is under powered compared to the Denon.

The other option is to do the same exercise with the Center but rather than connect to the AVR I connect the same to an Enbee Power amp(zx 80) and Theoretically double the 80watts per channel to 160w single channel?

Hello folks,

I wanted to know if it’s possible to bridge a multichannel AVR to increase the power to a single channel.

I am using a Denon x6300h which claims to output 140w per channel. I am using the pre out for the LR to connect to Indiqaudio Platinum Sapta to drive Polk RTI A7s.

I have a Polk CSI A6 Center channel which is bi amp capable, currently bi wired to the Denon.

I have a Onkyo Txnr 515 lying unused which claims to output around 100w per channel. I wanted to know if I use a RCA splitter on the Center channel pre out and use the bi wired Center channel to connect to the AVR in a bridged setup. Black on the left channel and Red on the right channel of the amp. Will this double to power of the AVR to the center? Is this dangerous for the AVR or speaker? Will it be sound better due to increase in power? I had been actively bi amping the Center with the AVR but couldn’t hear a noticeable difference possibly because the Onkyo is under powered compared to the Denon.

The other option is to do the same exercise with the Center but rather than connect to the AVR I connect the same to an Enbee Power amp(zx 80) and Theoretically double the 80watts per channel to 160w single channel?

as far as I am aware the x6300h has enough juice to drive speakers. I am sure you would have ran Audyssey and used those conservative settings. Did you try to manually increase the level of the center speaker? If not done please try that first and increase slowly and see if there is a difference. For example if the level is at +1 increase to +3 and check.....

If after doing all this there is no difference, go through the manual and check if what you are suggesting can be done or not. It sounds a bit complex and not sure if anyone has tried the method you are proposing......nevertheless other FMs can chime in here with their experience or suggestions...

as far as I am aware the x6300h has enough juice to drive speakers. I am sure you would have ran Audyssey and used those conservative settings. Did you try to manually increase the level of the center speaker? If not done please try that first and increase slowly and see if there is a difference. For example if the level is at +1 increase to +3 and check.....

If after doing all this there is no difference, go through the manual and check if what you are suggesting can be done or not. It sounds a bit complex and not sure if anyone has tried the method you are proposing......nevertheless other FMs can chime in here with their experience or suggestions...
Thanks for the reply. One of the objectives to have a separate AVR do this is the ability to easily control Center volume for certain types of content rather than changing levels via speaker settings.

Also the fact that I’m curious, bored and have the spare AVR and Amp. Basically 80w x2 bridged > 140w ?

I had bridged a crown 2502 to my center channel which outputs around 1500 odd watts.

I could not tell the difference because Audyssey will level match channels.

Of course, I could increase the gain or levels of the centre channel and see if the drivers blow out but being a bit short on the greens, I played it safe.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back