Can you fit generic headshell with Philips AF 834

Shubhadip

Hello,

I have a Philips AF 834 and right now I am listening to music with Classic 700 cartridge and the usual headshell which comes with it. I was wondering to get another headshell and fix Shure cartridge with the same for enhanced listening experience. However my only concern here is, does any generic headshell can fit Philips AF 834 or do I need Philips Headshell to fit the same? Any help would be of great help. Thanks.

Hello. While I am not familiar with AF 843, the F 7213 I owned from 1983 to 1990 had a proprietary headshell with four long (about 6 mm) pins rather than the 2 mm pins found on the standard SME type headshell. You will need to check what type is fitted on your tt. A photo would help.
These proprietary headshells are difficult to source, as I had to procure one a few years back for a friend. Then again the original headshells were suitable for Philips 400series carts, though I did briefly mount a Classic 700 for a short while. Also, due age, the headshell may be difficult to detach. So be very careful, do not use force.

Hello. While I am not familiar with AF 843, the F 7213 I owned from 1983 to 1990 had a proprietary headshell with four long (about 6 mm) pins rather than the 2 mm pins found on the standard SME type headshell. You will need to check what type is fitted on your tt. A photo would help.
These proprietary headshells are difficult to source, as I had to procure one a few years back for a friend. Then again the original headshells were suitable for Philips 400series carts, though I did briefly mount a Classic 700 for a short while. Also, due age, the headshell may be difficult to detach. So be very careful, do not use force.
I will post the picture tomorrow for your reference. Thank you for your help Sir.

I think Philips Turntable decks of those times used plug-in headshells similar to this one:

View attachment 74786View attachment 74787
Thank you Sir for helping me. the only thing is in my Philips headshell there are 4 plugs at the back instead of the picture you shared. Sir I have posted the picture below. Please take a look and advice me accordingly.

Attachments

• 56eef7ab-51ac-4986-ae74-e69b50849c0d.jpg
    56eef7ab-51ac-4986-ae74-e69b50849c0d.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 7
The pins appear to be similar to a F7213 headshell, though the shape is different. Please give me a day to check the headshell and give you a feedback. BTW, which stylus are u using on the Classic 700? Thanks.

I compared a Philips F 7213 headshell with above. The size and angle appear similar, though cutting on body is lightly different. The pin is approx 5 mm and the distance from the collar to end of pin approx 11.5 mm, given scale error. My guess is this may fit your tt and could widen your search for these types of rare headshell. Also, be cautioned that this has a fixed 1/2 " mount i.e. the cartridge is not adjustable forward or backward.
Primarily designed for Philips Cartridges, certain cartridges like the common AT 3600/91 etc may not fit due to top black plastic interfering. I had to carefully file an edge! Hope that helps. Do let us know ur progress.

The pins appear to be similar to a F7213 headshell, though the shape is different. Please give me a day to check the headshell and give you a feedback. BTW, which stylus are u using on the Classic 700? Thanks.
Hello Sir, kindly take your time and yes I am using Classic 700 Black. Sir, I will upgrade the cartridge to Classic 700 Orange in the future.

Back