Car Audio System under 13k

If I am correct the JVC 816 shld have BURRBROWN DAC which is used in the Onkyo receivers..... You still can get a very good price if you visit national market. But do you think double din fits well in the in-dash for you please check those things before you make a purchase.

Well I heard Kenwood so I can comment on the quality it is better than Pio when I say better it is much more balanced .. Pio units are loud :) so give it a listen to JVC and Kenny and decide. Kenny has inbuilt BT unit and mic...

Kenwood 8016 BT priced at 20K and JVC KD - R816 priced at 13K both almost have the same features.

3 Pre outs/ 4V output, IPOD/ USB/ Bluetooth, in addition JVC has a double parallel USB (you can connect IPOD and USB in parallel unlike Kenwood or any other brand). but a little skeptical about the audio (voice/ frequency and bass) output in JVC.

any suggestions ?

Are you done with a demo of JVC already? If not, please do. I use JVC 616 (not sure of DAC) and it did sound better than Kenwood when I compared at the time of purchase. Please listen to a few models and then decide (they do vary)!

EDIT: And be aware that this is without any bias in favour of JVC. I actually went in to buy a nice looking kenwood with BT and coluored lights etc. The sound quality alone made me choose the JVC which was just a single-din decent-looking non-BT HU.

Last edited:
Thanks Swami, but the ICE-installers don't give you the option of hearing to multiple brand/ model at the time of purchase. Anyways will try.

BTW what is the difference when it is mentioned as "Built-in Parrot Bluetooth" and "Bluetooth Ready" are both one and same ?? is there any change in feature ?

Thanks Swami, but the ICE-installers don't give you the option of hearing to multiple brand/ model at the time of purchase. Anyways will try.

Some do. I got one such person in Delhi!

BTW what is the difference when it is mentioned as "Built-in Parrot Bluetooth" and "Bluetooth Ready" are both one and same ?? is there any change in feature ?

A HU with BT built in can be used to connect to your phone right away. However, the one which is BT ready needs a separate BT adapter (accessory) to be attached before you can use the phone with the HU.

Thanks Swami on that clarification.

have another one now,

In most of the Headunit i find USB option both in the Rear and Front.

I have seen most of the headunits with USB slot in the front, but rear havent seen much.

Does it get connect though a cable to the front like how the AUX ? or does it get through AUX ??? or how is it ?

USB in front is handy - one can change quickly when more than 1 USB sources are used. USB in back is more secure (IMHO) since the font one is prone to damage if struck with hand or if a child mishandles!

Whether you want to connect USB through cable or directly to the front USB port is your choice.

PS: some USBs do not get read properly, e.g; mine often gives error message that USB drive not readable (or somethig). If I use another USB or my mobile phone through USB port, I never get that message.

1.How does ipod nano connectivity work?Does the HU need to be able to read the files on the ipod(I have apple lossless files on mine)?
2. What does 1DIN/2DIN mean?
3. What should I look for in the HU if I want to add an amp + sub later on?

1.How does ipod nano connectivity work?Does the HU need to be able to read the files on the ipod(I have apple lossless files on mine)?
2. What does 1DIN/2DIN mean?
3. What should I look for in the HU if I want to add an amp + sub later on?

What does 1DIN/2DIN mean?

Firstly its the Size, between a Double/ Single Din
Secondly the capability of the Touch Screen comes into play because of which GPS, Reverse Parking Camera all these get digitally integrated in a double din

both are equally capable in Audio - CD/ Mp3/ Bluetooth/ USB / Ipod/ Touch features.

Cost wise predominantly the fully loaded Double Din is costlier than Single din. If you are just looking at Audio streaming then Single Din Player should suffice.

The obvious fact is the Double Din (100 mm height) occupies more space in terms of height than a single din (approx 50 mm height) in your Dash, though the breadth are the same.

Single Din
singledin.jpg

Double Din
doubledin.png

For more Knowledge browse through wiki:
ISO 7736 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What should I look for in the HU if I want to add an amp + sub later on ?

If you are looking at adding Sub's and Amp later, it is better to go in for feature full head unit.

Features that would help you blend to current trend of portability in files.
CD/ DVD disc playable (now is market you get Media digital players, without CD/DVD playable)
USB/ Ipod-Touch/ Memory Card Slot/ Bluetooth connectivity
3 pre-amps (2v or 4V output) - Basic necessity for future upgradation

RMS Power Output and Peak Output will be taken care if all the above features are available.

How does ipod nano connectivity work? Does the HU need to be able to read the files on the ipod(I have apple lossless files on mine)?
The head unit you buy should be Ipod compatible, for it to read the files from your IPOD.

Hope I answered all your questions. Anyways experts in this forums might add to mine, if there are any which I missed.

Thanks
Sudhan

Last edited:
How does ipod nano connectivity work? Does the HU need to be able to read the files on the ipod(I have apple lossless files on mine)?
The head unit you buy should be Ipod compatible, for it to read the files from your IPOD.

Could someone confirm this point that the HU would be reading files off the ipod and not just outputting what the ipod is playing.Are there HUs which can read apple lossless files?In what price range?

@shrjun:
There are lots of car audio shops in Minister road. I normally go and would
recommend a shop called Chequered Flag. You can talk to Gowtam or Naveen
and refer my name to them.

Thanks for the excellent suggestion.Went to Chequered Flag yesterday-spoke to Mr.Naveen -mentioned your name - and picked up the Pioneer 4290 SD:)-http://www.pioneer-india.in/Product.aspx?id=66(the Kenwood 7046BT was unfortunately above my budget).Quite satisfied with the purchase.Fitting was done nicely and the finished setup looks professional.Now starts the search for an amp!

Last edited:
Thanks for the excellent suggestion.Went to Chequered Flag yesterday-spoke to Mr.Naveen -mentioned your name - and picked up the Pioneer 4290 SD:)-http://www.pioneer-india.in/Product.aspx?id=66(the Kenwood 7046BT was unfortunately above my budget).Quite satisfied with the purchase.Fitting was done nicely and the finished setup looks professional.Now starts the search for an amp!

I hope you got a good deal and a good response/treatment from chequered
flag.

Could someone confirm this point that the HU would be reading files off the ipod and not just outputting what the ipod is playing.Are there HUs which can read apple lossless files?In what price range?

I see that you have already bought the player. However for the
benefit of others who might stumble on this thread:

IPod connectivity to the HU could mean several things
1) Connect the Ipod head phone out to the Aux in of the HU.
This means that the HU just outputs whatever the IPod
is playing. This also means that the DAC of the IPod is
being used.

2) Connect the IPod to the HU via the USB interface. This
again has few variations

a) One way control - The IPod can be controlled only via
the HU. That means we cannot use any control on the
ipod as long as it is connected to the HU. What this means
is that there may be some restrictions. For instance the HU
may not have the capability to show all options that you
would normally have while using the ipod directly. Say for
example - using playlists etc.

b) Both way control - you can chose to use where you want the
control. Either on the HU or on the Ipod itself.

c) Again there are variations as to which DAC will be used. The
DAC on the ipod or the DAC on the HU.

The JVC AVX 44 I had used to have one way control (only
from HU) and used to use the DAC on the IPod.

So read specs/review carefully before taking a decision.

IPod connectivity to the HU could mean several things
1) Connect the Ipod head phone out to the Aux in of the HU.
This means that the HU just outputs whatever the IPod
is playing. This also means that the DAC of the IPod is
being used.

What cable(link please !)could I use to output from the ipod via aux in on the HU?The playlists on my ipod are very organised and I would like to navigate on the ipod itself.

What cable(link please !)could I use to output from the ipod via aux in on the HU?The playlists on my ipod are very organised and I would like to navigate on the ipod itself.

:rolleyes:It needed only a good reading of the manual to work out the functions!I'm extremely pleased with the purchase now:eek:hyeah:.

Could someone suggest good branded cables and their availability in hyderabad w.r.t ipod to aux-in?

I would not recommend ipod connection via aux-in it cannot give you
the best SQ out of the system. Does your HU not have ipod connectivity
via USB?.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back