cartridge for Technics SL-DL1

ashfaque

I own Technics SL-DL1 linear tracking TT till now I have tried different P-mount cartridges like , shure, audio technica, ortofon but none of the cartidges and stylus are audio friendly with indian pressed LP records they sound very distorted with lots of scratching sound, with imported pressed records it does 100% justice to the records, I have tried both conical and elliptical stylus but did not help much, please suggest as what can be done.

Thanks,
Ashfaque

maybe the hindi LP's that you have, have a lot of groove damage.... i get a lot of these kind of problems with Hindi/classical LP's and some english LP's as well - especially the ones bought from the Indian bazaars...

hence, i say, that it is not a problem with the cart but with the Lp's in question!

Hi Malvai,

Is there no solution to the problem? The poet Ghalib had lamented:

"Gham e hasti kaa Asad kis se ho juz marg ilaaj.
Shama har rang me jalti hai seher hone tak."

(The sorrows of life, Asad, who can cure except Death.
The (flame of the) candle burns in every colour before Dawn.)​

And yet the problem is not insoluble. Most of the damage is on the top of the inner groove. A suitable elliptical stylus would track deeper down the groove, thereby minimising contact with the damaged portion and reducing noise.

Give it a thought or inspect the grooves through a high powered hand held lens or a low powered microscope in case you have access to one. Such microscopes (petrological microscopes) are used by geologists to study rock specimens. If the damage is as suspected, a changeover to a suitably shaped stylus may help.

Regards.

Last edited:
Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back