Cartridges for Bollywood records and Indian Classical Music

I use Shure V15 type III with JICO for playing the NM records. Sounds so nice and very open. My everyday workhorse is M97Xe though owing to it's smoothness. I opt for M44-7 when ever listening to EP and SP records. I heard Stanton 500 at a FMs place and that is simply superb.

Thanks,
Sourav

Audio Technica AT91 also very good for average condition records of Bollywood, Indian music.
Superb mid range and vocal. Very good tracking. AT91 is very good for who doesn't like the
strong sound of M44-7.

sounds a bit stupid in the context of this thread but Bollywood records sound very nice when played using an EEI CS2000 ceramic cart too, especially if you have a decent ceramic phonostage :)

Thanks Reubensm, yes the TT is in good condition but I think needs some oiling as I when the plate rotates I hear some noise as its a belt driven the noise reduces after sometime. Last year I built the 834p clone phonostage so I believe its a very good phonoamp :)

Audio Technica AT91 also very good for average condition records of Bollywood, Indian music.
Superb mid range and vocal. Very good tracking. AT91 is very good for who doesn't like the
strong sound of M44-7.

Just to shed the extra punch from M44-7, I have been using JICO styli instead of the OEM styli for M44-7. Works superb for my listening. Am a huge bollywood retro buff mostly R.D. Burman and Kishore Kumar.

Just to shed the extra punch from M44-7, I have been using JICO styli instead of the OEM styli for M44-7. Works superb for my listening. Am a huge bollywood retro buff mostly R.D. Burman and Kishore Kumar.

Sourav, what about the Shure V15 III & M92E carts? Are you using only M44-7 for Bollywood records? Is the tube preamp DIY ? Which cart is fine with tube phono stage? Is JICO styli available for Shure V15? Thanks.

Wow, nice discusson... im also in the same boat of upgrading - Cart M44-7, Stylus N77.
Also pls discuss source and pricing of your carts and stylus..

Hi Doctor,
How is Schiit Mani compared to PP3(currently using). Is there a vast difference or should I go for a higher upgrade? I have read on some forums that the Mani is not well shielded well and picks up RF signals and gives a hum.
There is definate improvement over NAD .
No hum issue.
Adjustable gain is a plus point.

For Any RD burman classic recording
Use AT 440 MLB,with schiit mani with JVC 990 as preamp and Parasound a2.1 as a power amp with cadence arista.
Best in its class.
Take Nagaoka MP110 and if we add more,subtle 12.5K frequency it will sound like MLB 440.
Shure M97Xe vs MP110
Subtle improvement in bass and mids with MP110But better HF responce with Shure M97Xe.

Sourav, what about the Shure V15 III & M92E carts? Are you using only M44-7 for Bollywood records? Is the tube preamp DIY ? Which cart is fine with tube phono stage? Is JICO styli available for Shure V15? Thanks.

Am using V15 type III for all NM bollywood records . Fortunately, most of the records I have are NM or EX grade resulted from multiple copies. M92E is now on back burner, sitting idle on a old Pioneer Belt drive TT. My tube phono is DIY based on Dynaco Pas3X design with mono switch.

V15type styli link Jico

Sourav

Am using V15 type III for all NM bollywood records . Fortunately, most of the records I have are NM or EX grade resulted from multiple copies. M92E is now on back burner, sitting idle on a old Pioneer Belt drive TT. My tube phono is DIY based on Dynaco Pas3X design with mono switch.

V15type styli link Jico

Sourav
Hi Sourav, the HE Stylus of JICO for V153 has excellent reviews!

People who want a Shure cart or stylus, stock up quickly, because Shure has ended their production, and once the channel stock is gone, it's gone

I did notice the carts being talked about and in that context, let my opinion on the m44-7 pass. Great cart for playing Bollywood records in my opinion. Having an original pressing or a NM Bollywood record almost never guarantees good sound. The reason is simple, professional standards for mastering, pressing etc were seldom followed. A lot to do with these aspects was highly person-dependent and based on personal taste and experience. Music directors like RDB were known to doctor the sound and even Producers like RK were known to influence the sound to some extent. One would need to go with a bit of colour to the sound, to even out these variances and make the sound very listenable. Here's where the M44-7 comes to the fore. To add, for those who have worn Bollywood records, the M44-7 with the N44-7 will help you enjoy these to as with a good tone arm, like the Technics S-tonearm, the M44-7 will track better than most carts. Happy listening.

One would need to go with a bit of colour to the sound, to even out these variances and make the sound very listenable. Here's where the M44-7 comes to the fore

reubensm, so long you 've been experiencing with this cart . How about the M44G cart? Is it mellower than the 44-7 ? In Comparison, what should we consider between the two carts? Which one you strongly recommend? Thanks.

One would need to go with a bit of colour to the sound, to even out these variances and make the sound very listenable. Here's where the M44-7 comes to the fore. To add, for those who have worn Bollywood records, the M44-7 with the N44-7 will help you enjoy these to as with a good tone arm, like the Technics S-tonearm, the M44-7 will track better than most carts. Happy listening.
I am using M55E improved stylus bought from Jico for playing Bollywood records. Although I am happy still for a change, I was considering Shure M44-7 / Nagaoka MP110. What do you suggest, or M44-7 will not be better than M55E(improved).
Thanks

What would be the differences in sound between M55 cart + M55 stylus & M44-7 cart + M55 stylus ?

I was just thinking about adding a Nagaoka MP 110 to the wagon for listening bollywood records. Would it be an overkill? Please share your thoughts.

Thanks in advance,
Sourav

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back