Cartridges for Bollywood records and Indian Classical Music

I was just thinking about adding a Nagaoka MP 110 to the wagon for listening bollywood records. Would it be an overkill? Please share your thoughts.

Thanks in advance,
Sourav

The one reason I really like the MP110 is the low surface noise compared to anything else I've owned and heard in my setup. Plus it has very sweet treble response and a great sense of rhythm and drive. I like it more than the V15/III.

The one reason I really like the MP110 is the low surface noise compared to anything else I've owned and heard in my setup

jls001, how far the MP110 manage the Inner Groove Distortion? In your experience, which carts win on IGD area?

Thanks.

IGD is never really an issue with any cartridge if sufficient care is taken while mounting it on the arm. Make sure that you use the correct protractor/jig for the arm and set up the cartridge carefully. Cross-check your alignment the next day and make tiny corrections, if needed, as it's usually better to incrementally refine the alignment. Use good lighting to see stylus tip clearly while aligning. If you set it carefully, IGD is practically not audible.

To add: if IGD is bothersome with one's arm-cartridge combo, one could try Stevenson geometry, provided the headshell slot has enough room for making alignment changes.

Last edited:
IGD is never really an issue with any cartridge if sufficient care is taken while mounting it on the arm. Make sure that you use the correct protractor/jig for the arm and set up the cartridge carefully. Cross-check your alignment the next day and make tiny corrections, if needed, as it's usually better to incrementally refine the alignment. Use good lighting to see stylus tip clearly while aligning. If you set it carefully, IGD is practically not audible.

To add: if IGD is bothersome with one's arm-cartridge combo, one could try Stevenson geometry, provided the headshell slot has enough room for making alignment changes.
Thank you for the points to be followed . Which protractor is perfect one for MP110 ? Yes, sufficient lighting will be the great help while aligning. Thank you.

Finally, based on the views of some of the FMs I installed the Nagaoka MP110 on my my Technics 1200 today, wow! What a difference from my earlier Shure M55! I am floored! And it's a brand new cart (purchased around 3 year back but didn't use it), I am sure, after 50 hours or so, it should should be still better. Thanks friends for the suggestion.

PS: Listening to Jagjit-Chitra now (The Unforgettables) pure bliss!!! Only missing thing is a glass of Single Malt :)

I would also agree that use your best cartridge for your tonearm !
I use the DL103R and have not had any issues (have used the ART9 as well) the only cartridge which behaved badly was the decca and that too very record specific.

I would also agree that use your best cartridge for your tonearm !
I use the DL103R and have not had any issues (have used the ART9 as well) the only cartridge which behaved badly was the decca and that too very record specific.
If you have to listen to a Decca cart, get in touch with FM Joshua. I went to his place a couple of years back. He had 2 players at that time - Thorens TD124 (with some MC cart.. I don't remember the name now) and a Lenco L75 with Decca cart. The Lenco with Decca was sounding better than the TD 124.

Finally, based on the views of some of the FMs I installed the Nagaoka MP110 on my my Technics 1200 today, wow! What a difference from my earlier Shure M55! I am floored! And it's a brand new cart (purchased around 3 year back but didn't use it), I am sure, after 50 hours or so, it should should be still better. Thanks friends for the suggestion.

PS: Listening to Jagjit-Chitra now (The Unforgettables) pure bliss!!! Only missing thing is a glass of Single Malt :)
You will find great difference when compared with Shure M 55 but with Shure M97Xe the difference will be subtle and M97Xe brand new is around 8K while MP110 is more than 14K.Shure M97XE comes with itis own protractor so No IGD issue.
I use same protractor for all my cartridges like AT440MLB,Shure M 97Xe and Nagaoka MP110.
I use Shure stylus Gauge to set the VTF.There is always difference ,if we use Counter weight method to set VTF.As far as possible use stylus gauge,mechanical or electronic to set VTF.

If you have to listen to a Decca cart, get in touch with FM Joshua. I went to his place a couple of years back. He had 2 players at that time - Thorens TD124 (with some MC cart.. I don't remember the name now) and a Lenco L75 with Decca cart. The Lenco with Decca was sounding better than the TD 124.

I have a decca :) i love it although with my current phono the DL103R does far better

Not used my Decca in a long time. Currently using an Astatic MF200 moving flux cartridge (MM level output). Took a very long time to burn in and I almost gave up on it. I enjoy this cartridge a lot. Got it NOS.

The Denon 103 continues in the second arm and sounds as good as ever. A very musical cartridge despite whatever its detractors may say:)

I have recently got some NM records of old Bollywood songs and quite a few records of Noth Indian Classical Music, both vocal and instrumental. Currently I am using ADC ZLM on my AR XA turntable and Shure M55 on the Technics 1200. I could not find anything about suitable cart for Indian music, hence requesting our FMs to express their views in this regard please.
V15 TYPE IV(It makes hell lot of a difference in SQ bettween type 3 and 4), shelter 201(MM) if you want punchy bass, Audio technica ATN 14sa(Shibata) for extra detail

For me too, it is Denon 103 for Bollywood stereo recordings. Nagaoka 110 also works well. While Denon 102 is unparalleled for old mono recordings. Ortofon OM 40 is reserved for audiophile Jazz pressings.

Regards,

The best cartridge for Indian language records in my experience is beyond doubt Shure 44-7. I have recommended this to many and most of them are happy with it

Till very recently, the MP 110 was good, but hard to justify against the M44-7. But now that the M44-7 has ended production, prices have gone crazy ( from 80 to 160 on most sites) that the MP110 now looks like good value.

Just ordered a Shure 44-7 to check what's the big deal with it ;-)
I love classic spherical tips, but hope that it would be somewhat different from all the other ones I already have :)

Regards,
Sharad

Thanks gr8 subjective discussion. Mine is Pro-ject Debut Carbon, I’m using 2M blue which I replaced recently red that come with TT. Red was Warm and unbearable noise from the grooves and blue looks good for Bollywood old LPs, which sounds flat, detailed, tight bass and minimal noise from the grooves. In the meantime after seeing lot of positive reviews on mp110 cart, I have ordered nagaoka mp110 from US..

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back