Caution : 3 years jail term for viewing torrent site,

Amitkg

Hi,
Just an hour ago happened on this news item. I am not sure whether or not it's ok to start a discussion on this topic. if Moderator(s) wish, he can delete this thread.

It's an open secret that almost all of us (FMs and general internet users), at some point in time viewed or used torrent. Some of us 'blissfully' un-aware that using torrent sites for downloading pirated stuffs from net is illegal.
But "Just accessing information under a blocked URL will land you in jail and leave your bank account poorer by Rs 3 lakh" ???

Are you a criminal now? Users may get 3 years in jail for viewing torrent site, blocked URL in India : News, News - India Today

BTW, In India, how many assembled desktop computer users use genuine OS? :D

BTW, In India, how many assembled desktop computer users use genuine OS? :D

PRICE.. A genuine copy of Windows is expensive in India.. A pirate copy of Win is 1/10th of the original cost...Same applies to Blu-Ray Discs as well..

Why not the distribution company come forward and legally distribute the movies in Torrent for 10 Rs each ?:mad: This way then can control piracy (Not Kill), at the same time genuinely & consistently increase the revenue...

Am sure a lot of FM here watch handful of movies, imagine if each download a legal torrent for 10Rs, how much revenue would they earn than let piracy eat it ?

Its impossible to implement that rule as if now.Imagine an eye for a single user or ip based monitoring which is not practical.If they do so around 50% or more of the Indian population will be under jail.

looks impractical..... just viewing .. strange .... infact more than 50% of internet using popultion will be in jail. Plus if one uses VPN how would they even trace IP ?? ...

India needs to do more (or rather appear to do more) to clamp down on piracy... if it is to be seriously considered an avenue for legal media distribution.

Take Netflix, India hardly figures in terms of content and Hollywood does not want to license its content unless they are convinced folks will pay and also the Govt. is doing everything possible to clamp down on piracy.

In a way its good news for us... we will get more legal avenues of streaming content instead of having to use VPN for Netflix US.

Piracy is never going away... but Govt. all over the world have to make it appear they are at least doing their best to block piracy in their countries.

So what next guys, in layman terms......simply stop torrent download to be safe??
Is this going to lead to something beyond torrent??

pirate bay was blocked, but they came up with a clone, which isnt and so technically its not blocked ....lol

I hope we understand the problem here is not with content distribution but with the quality and the price of Internet available. I would happily shift to Netflix permanently but Airtel is so damn expensive.
It would eat up my 200GB quota in a week and upgrading data is very costly.
Hence before the clamp is put on piracy it has to be taken in two ways:

1. Internet needs to be much faster, reliable and cheaper. We all know the cartel is to blame for it.

2. Content distribution needs to be a notch higher. I tried Saavn for sometime, it was good but wasn't reliable. And the music started hanging often.

I also believe strongly that because of no avenues for digital downloads(aka Amazon Prime etc.) for Movies/TV shows piracy is the only route we can opt for.
Considering DVD's are massively expensive in relation to the PPP(Per Person parity), I think the cost needs to go down too for me to fully shift to discs(they scratch out faster, digital is safer)

A teenager will view torrent as their sole source of content but when you are capable of spending almost obscene amounts of money on your hobbies (btw I fully stand by spending 'obscene' amount of money on your passion, this is not a criticism of how you choose to spend your money) then surely you can spend a logical proportion on getting your favourite content, i.e. music, movies, TV shows etc. The reasoning behind is that you can afford it now and so should pay your little dues to the medium.
But, and it is a big BUT before the authorities and powers-that-be start to flex their muscle and clamp down on those who prefer the 'sharing' option, the reality has to be assumed and addressed.
Reality is suppose we are all good citizens and out of our very own accord we choose to go for only legal sources of content, do we have the avenues available to us? Is Netflix affordable to an average Indian? I am sure people at the HRD and Information technology ministry do not have to suffer the ignominy of relying on BSNL broadband.
Are you the government then enabling us to go the 'legal' way to get our fix for music and movies? So far it is a resounding NO. Cheap and reliable bandwidth is the first step toward a legal distribution of media over the internet, then there is the matter of fair and affordable pricing. Pay attention to these Eggheads and I will not have any problem with paying for what I love, till then stop living in a fool's world.

With regards to windows going with piracy, in my opinion it is one of the marketing strategy of the Microsoft. They know, how to control the Indian market. By allowing piracy for window xx in the initial days, they have occupied entire Indian subcontinent including government department and corporate. This has completely block the way for Mac and and Open source Linux to make their footprints in India for nearly 30 years(in the desktop PC market). Now, no body in a position go back and go for linux like open source applications. Being worked in Government for nearly 30 years i know this and today all the Government departments and most of the corporate buy only windows OS with license as they can not escape from this, or they can not replace with the Linux/mac. With this only the Microsoft make millions of rupees and they are not worried about students and un-orgnisied communities going for piracy. They now, if the curb piracy, Indians will go stop using windows and go for linux.

Same case with Corel draw, Page maker and Adobe products. These people have acquired entire Indian market, allowing all the street side DTP fellows to use their softwares with piracy, and the Indians, who always prefer free, are not exposed to other alternatives. Today, if you go for any print shop, they will ask for Coreldraw file!!!. Now these companies are started making strict about their license and users in the print industry facing the heat as they are not exposed to use any other open source alternatives like "inkspace" for use.

"Music is everybody's possession. It's only publishers who think that people own it." - John Lennon

Though I wouldn't mind paying for the music I like, if the artist is getting benefitted.

With regards to windows going with piracy, in my opinion it is one of the marketing strategy of the Microsoft. They know, how to control the Indian market. By allowing piracy for window xx in the initial days, they have occupied entire Indian subcontinent including government department and corporate. This has completely block the way for Mac and and Open source Linux to make their footprints in India for nearly 30 years(in the desktop PC market). Now, no body in a position go back and go for linux like open source applications. Being worked in Government for nearly 30 years i know this and today all the Government departments and most of the corporate buy only windows OS with license as they can not escape from this, or they can not replace with the Linux/mac. With this only the Microsoft make millions of rupees and they are not worried about students and un-orgnisied communities going for piracy. They now, if the curb piracy, Indians will go stop using windows and go for linux.

Same case with Corel draw, Page maker and Adobe products. These people have acquired entire Indian market, allowing all the street side DTP fellows to use their softwares with piracy, and the Indians, who always prefer free, are not exposed to other alternatives. Today, if you go for any print shop, they will ask for Coreldraw file!!!. Now these companies are started making strict about their license and users in the print industry facing the heat as they are not exposed to use any other open source alternatives like "inkspace" for use.
Absolutely true. Apple is no saint either.They push their hardware/software in universities where students get hooked on and because the learning curve makes most of them sweat, they stick to mac products,however inferior they might be when considered the kind of money that gets spent.
One big problem with Linux has been lack of drivers for hardware (it gets better every day).Not to say windows has perfect driver's but at least it gets things up and running.
Will the new piracy laws change the average user base? Yes. As India opens up its economy more and more to the world, It has to implement these laws in order to look legit.

I hope It doesn't apply to sites which are not blocked my Gov of India.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope It doesn't apply to sites which are not blocked my Gov of India.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any legitimate content can be shared over torrents! Its just another P2P platform for us to use. While piracy is punishable, blocking torrent and online Storage sites is criminal and compromises our civil rights!

If not enough, owners of these sites are getting booked for criminal conspiracy, rest is left to be imagine who are the real culprits and criminals!

Back