CAUTION!!!!! - HD READY vs FULL HD - 32 inch

There is no 'visible' difference between FullHD&HDready on a 32 inch LCD using DTH??

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
well dth isn't close to DVD quality,it may the same resolution as a DVD but it is compressed.connect a good DVD player set it at 480p via HDMI,the tv that have good upscalers will do a equaly good job.

@girish
FHD tvs in SD Content don't fare as good as HD ready,unless offcourse u are comparing ur V300A with BE launched in 06 to a new sony with V550A with BE3 launched in 09 or even a samsung B5xx etc.
i am not sure as to why or how u found FHD tvs better in SD content,they may have a higher contrast,but SD content will look better in a HD ready.

may be because my living room is small...
hey u would atleast agree that full hd tvs even with dth content show better and smoother video when viewed from short distances 3-4 feet.....as compared to hdready...(in general irrespective of panel/models)..????

well dth isn't close to DVD quality,it may the same resolution as a DVD but it is compressed.connect a good DVD player set it at 480p via HDMI,the tv that have good upscalers will do a equaly good job.

@girish
FHD tvs in SD Content don't fare as good as HD ready,unless offcourse u are comparing ur V300A with BE launched in 06 to a new sony with V550A with BE3 launched in 09 or even a samsung B5xx etc.
i am not sure as to why or how u found FHD tvs better in SD content,they may have a higher contrast,but SD content will look better in a HD ready.

may be because my living room is small...
hey u would atleast agree that full hd tvs even with dth content show better and smoother video when viewed from short distances 3-4 feet.....as compared to hdready...(in general irrespective of panel/models)..????

no i disagree,for eg if u compare 2 tvs both with identical image processing,the one that has a lower resolution is going to look better i.e the HD ready tv.while the one with higher resolution FHD tv will show more of blurry image,which u can compensate by increasing the viewing distance.

the only time a FHD tv can be better then a HD ready tv,is if the FHD tv has superior image processing.

Hi,

IMO a Full HD TV will serve it's purpose only if you use it to watch contents of resolution 1920/1080, i.e a 1080p content. Anything less than this resolution is going to be upscaled through your Amp/DVDp etc. And upscaling is only going to blow up your image to any resolution but without any detail. The resulting image is not going to be as crisp as a 1080p image, and ultimately there is no fun in viewing such images. And even the color outputed by an Full HD TV is far more precise compared to that of a HD Ready TV.

FYI, there is no technology that can upscale a DVD content to Full HD content, i.e Bluray such that there is 100% accuracy in visual details and color. You can never get the details of a 1080p in an upscaled content. Make a note of this fact.

I'll give you an eg:- I think everybody knows about this famous Chinese(Mandarin) movie HERO(Ying xiong). There is a sequence in that movie where Flying Snow and Moon are fighting in the forest and Moon chops off a clump of hair from Flying Snow's head.

Ok, this sequence when you see it on a DVD+HD ready TV, you cannot see a single detail in that hair clump which gets cut off. Even if you use a DVD+Full HD TV, no details, even Bluray+HD ready gives no detail.......but in the combo of Bluray+Full HD (both 1080p) each and every strand's of the hair in that clump is visible. And since i'm from the VFX/Animation industry I deal with these resolutions on a day to day basis and I can surely make out a difference in them. But do not know about other's.

Another eg. is the details on Heath Ledgers hair and it color in the movie The Dark Night, there is a phenomenal difference with a dvd version and a bluray version.

One factor which help's in bringing out these details is the Black/White Levels offered by any particular medium, which lack's in a HD Ready TV's.

And whenever you go to demo a FULL HD TV, look for these, first of all no dealer in India plays true HD contents when demoing a FULL HD TV, and at sometimes in these AV exhibition's they do play HD stuff's but they are all colorful and bright. Ask them to play something which has been shot against a black background. And when you view this sample, the black background should look "BLACK", i.e you should not be able to differentiate between the black background and the black border of the TV. If you make out the difference, then that particular medium is not suited for FULL HD content. The LED's from Sony and Samsung have a very good B/W level's compared to their LCD's.

And at the end of all these, no TV/Projector can produce B/W levels with 100% accuracy.

So, at the end of the day I prefer BLURAY + FULL HD 1080p combo. It "RULES"

Hope this helped, and any opinion regarding the same from other's.

cheers

Last edited:
I suspect your DTH connection. Try connecting to some CRT and check the quality. I dont think FHD will perform better than HD ready TV unless it has a very high end scalers for SD which may cost more than a 32inch lcd. I would prefer a 480i/p LCD TV (if it is available in the market) for watching SD content, since it doesnt require any scaling. So 720p requires lesser scaling than a 1080p.

Hi Girish,

I understand and am really sorry for the trouble you had. I own a sony S series 32 inch TV which I believe is HD Ready. I didn't notice any ghost, jerk even when observed closely(did it after I read your post). Forget about BD and DVD...hathway cable services through cisco set top box is simply awesome at upscaled 1080i resolution. Just to check without any upscaling, I connected my set top to TV via component and observed no jerkiness or ghost. My recently acquired experience with these equipments advices me to recheck on wiring. Please don't worry, Gurus here will surely help you out.

Thanks,
Naren

Hi Girish,

I understand and am really sorry for the trouble you had. I own a sony S series 32 inch TV which I believe is HD Ready. I didn't notice any ghost, jerk even when observed closely(did it after I read your post). Forget about BD and DVD...hathway cable services through cisco set top box is simply awesome at upscaled 1080i resolution. Just to check without any upscaling, I connected my set top to TV via component and observed no jerkiness or ghost. My recently acquired experience with these equipments advices me to recheck on wiring. Please don't worry, Gurus here will surely help you out.

Thanks,
Naren

+ 1 to it and all other related post from Mad. I have this particular TV S550A, not even a branded HD ready and I never have encountered any such problem. Even local cable movies look good, no jerkness no ghost. Fortunately I also have Pana PV8 ( trillion thanks to this forum ) which is also HD ready and BR from my PS3 just rocks in both the TVs. The quality of normal DVD is also good. Though I am not an expert but my practical experience is still telling me against a full HD if you want to get a value for your bucks.I had the opportunity to watch 'Sea Horse' Blue Ray side by side in my Pana PV8 and my uncle's Sony 40v550A ( he bought in 73 k) and my uncle was utterly disappointed . We hardly see any difference. I am really feeling bad that you are having those problems but that may be an one off case not a generic one.

Girish

Try changing your Company Provided Composite cable to some branded one like the Bangridge , Atallona etc., These cables are all VFM and can make a diff in the picture quality.

David.

Girish

Try changing your Company Provided Composite cable to some branded one like the Bangridge , Atallona etc., These cables are all VFM and can make a diff in the picture quality.

David.

for the price he is going to spend for bangridge etc he can rather go in for a better DTH in terms of PQ like BIG tv which has a component out (or stick with TS and wait for them to start upgrading the older STB to the newer black ones that they are reportedly giving to newer subscribers,althought can't confirm it,they eventualy would have to )

don't know when ts is gona do tht....but will a component out make a major difference....one of my friend told me that for SD content... composite is enough...is it true?
Tata Sky and Dish TV are the worst of the lot, Airtel is marginally better. Tata Sky + over component is better still, and Reliance Big TV over component is the best. but Reliance's interface is terrible, absolutely, as is their customer service,cant trust relaince...i fear reliance will resort to cheap antics like reducing quality to fill in more channels... therefore, i think all things considered, Tata Sky+ or tatasky(with replaced stbs) over component is a good compromise.

for the price he is going to spend for bangridge etc he can rather go in for a better DTH in terms of PQ like BIG tv which has a component out (or stick with TS and wait for them to start upgrading the older STB to the newer black ones that they are reportedly giving to newer subscribers,althought can't confirm it,they eventualy would have to )

well there are many big tv and TS+ users,they would all agree that component does make a difference,even in ur dvd player.
eventualy TS has to replace their STBs and move to MPEG4.

about big tv ,well if u google most of all the drawbacks of big tv where posted by me,since i was one of the earliest to use big tv way back in march 2008.until 2009 march it was hell with big tv,poor software updates,occasional hanging of stb,endless battles with the CC.but all changed when i changed the STB1 from hyundai to STB2 from UEC,this one lacked a bit of brigtness,but never hanged,interface also had lesser jaggy edges.but they again screwed it up with another software update,which again was resolved with newer updates.
what i still hate about big tv,yes the CC still sucks,their big tv symbol is realy annoying.wish they had given a better remote.
IMP,the PQ more then make up with the drawbacks.

I am not knowledgeable about all this FHD and HD ready stuff. I am just narrating an observation for what it is worth. I visited a NEXT showroom a few days back and looked at their 32" LCDs. I finally narrowed my focus of attention to 3 TVs. The 32LH20 and 32LF20FR from LG and the 32B450 from Samsung. As you are aware, the LF20 is FHD while the other two are HDR.
They were playing HD stuff and all 3 were quite brilliant with the LF20 perhaps very slightly better than the other 2. Not sure if I would have caught the difference if it was a blind A-B.
Then I asked the guy to play DTH content on all 3 pieces. The 32LF20FR was now clearly on top of the heap with the 32B450 close behind. The 32LH20 was distinctly inferior. Now the noticeable difference for me was in noise (snow) and ghost in the picture. With my limited knowledge, I cannot see why noise and ghost would be a function of the TV but expect it to be of the input signal. Perhaps a result of cable routing.
In short, the FHD was consistently the best of the 3 TVs and surprisingly, the difference was more marked when the source was not HD.
Any explanations?

I am not knowledgeable about all this FHD and HD ready stuff. I am just narrating an observation for what it is worth. I visited a NEXT showroom a few days back and looked at their 32" LCDs. I finally narrowed my focus of attention to 3 TVs. The 32LH20 and 32LF20FR from LG and the 32B450 from Samsung. As you are aware, the LF20 is FHD while the other two are HDR.
They were playing HD stuff and all 3 were quite brilliant with the LF20 perhaps very slightly better than the other 2. Not sure if I would have caught the difference if it was a blind A-B.
Then I asked the guy to play DTH content on all 3 pieces. The 32LF20FR was now clearly on top of the heap with the 32B450 close behind. The 32LH20 was distinctly inferior. Now the noticeable difference for me was in noise (snow) and ghost in the picture. With my limited knowledge, I cannot see why noise and ghost would be a function of the TV but expect it to be of the input signal. Perhaps a result of cable routing.
In short, the FHD was consistently the best of the 3 TVs and surprisingly, the difference was more marked when the source was not HD.
Any explanations?

lots of reasons,the IPS based lg produce a slightly sharper image when their is motion involved,like moving text u see in news channels,but after a brief second or so the RTC will kick in the VA based tvs,so it will be even but it depends on how good the algorithm is implemented.
FHD being better for SD,higly unlikely if both have same panels with equal contrast ,colors,viewing angles etc.but do note the HD panels usualy are of older gerneration or last years panel tech,where as the FHD lcds which are usualy the latest panels,with improvements.
also make sure that the connections are equal,like all should be playing video from composite.if a tv is connected via a component and the other connected via composite thats not fair.

Last edited:
how is ps50b550 compared to pany's 50" X10(TH-P42X10D)??? Is it worth waiting for ps50b550???

Panasonic has 600Hz Sub-field Drive... but in samsung it is 100hz... Does this make much difference? They say this makes pany future proof... wat is tis actually?

LF20 on LG site shows only 1HDMI.Is it true?Did you see panyX models?
Can you compare them?

The panny at that shop was the LE10. It was located in a position in which I could not do a straight comparison with the above 3 models.
For some reason, I have always found the panny display to be dull looking as compared to Sammy and LG.
Also I am not sure how good their ASS is.
I did get quick pre-sales response from their CC but that is not the same as ASS.
Not sure about the number of HDMI on the LF20 as my focus has been more on the component inputs. For that these LGs compare poorly because they have just one. I would like two; one for my HTiB and one for future STB.

you can try for LH-35 ,just saw & m highly impressed.
From TATASKy to DVDp ,contrast & colour were superb.Its far better than LF20.Price 34k without exchange & with OLDTV -ve1500

you can try for LH-35 ,just saw & m highly impressed.
From TATASKy to DVDp ,contrast & colour were superb.Its far better than LF20.Price 34k without exchange & with OLDTV -ve1500

The LH35 also has just one component in. I think the LG53FR may be a better deal for me. IINM it has 2 component video ins and doesn't have the USB but otherwise it is like the LH35. I don't think I'll need the USB as my HTiB handles it.
I have responded to you in another thread about better prices for the LH35.

The LH35 also has just one component in. I think the LG53FR may be a better deal for me. IINM it has 2 component video ins and doesn't have the USB but otherwise it is like the LH35. I don't think I'll need the USB as my HTiB handles it.
I have responded to you in another thread about better prices for the LH35.

USB instead of Component,but you get lot better PQ with LH35,contrast ratio very high & pic looks much clear.Backlight too powerful.Think again.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back