CD Cleaning

venkatcr

I have been ripping my quite large CD collection into Wav files for the last few weeks. This will take another six months to complete given paucity of time.

As part of the ripping process, I did find a few old CDs to have accumulated some dirt. And of, course, our great friend Mr. EAC immediately cribs and complains.

Having tired various cleaning techniques, I tried Luxor's Nano clean (Luxor), and it seems to work very well. In almost all the cases Mr. EAC was very happy and ripped the CD with 99% accuracy.

Does any one else have similar experience?

Thanks

Last edited:
Not while ripping but I have had good experience with Colin and even Toothpaste on dirty and scratched CDs/DVDs.

+1 to Luxor Nano and Colin, I've used both with great results.

Never thought about toothpaste though.

Usually even soap or shampoo works well.

Luxor NANO works well. I have also got good results using the spectacle lens cleaner available in optical shops with Scrotch bite micofibre cloth (yellow or light blue in colour)

Luxor NANO works well. I have also got good results using the spectacle lens cleaner ... ...

I use the home-made equivalent, which I picked up here on HFV as recommended for vinyl. Water, Isopropyl Alcohol, and a very few drops of washing-up liquid. Microfibre cloth, of course.

It gets rid of the mildew[-like?] stuff that seems to form on the CDs in storage.

There has long been a CD-cleaning rule. So long, that it probably goes without saying, but, in the unlikely event of newbies... do not rub the disc in circles around its centre: use any cloth in lines from centre to rim. The claimed reasoning (which seems, err... reasonable) is that any scratch across the data tracks causes a lot less damage than a scratch along them.

For scratched CDs, I use isopropyl alcohol for cleaning the playing surface. I then use 'Lenspen' sold at photography shops for hiding the scratches.

Last edited:
Good question! I thought that a quick google might answer it... but you were obviously ahead of me there and knew that it wouldn't.

Next thing, I posted a query on Team-BHP, where people know all there is to know about car detailing, finishing and polishing.

Today, I got a PM from a fellow member who says...

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Meguiar-s-Mot...item4637d98b24

Rs 850, use coupon code 10EBAYDEAL for 10% off, valid only for today. You can even get 10% cashback if you use mobikwik for payment.

Its the same stuff as PlastX but it comes in a different bottle. Just thought of letting you know!

Thanks to SunnyBoi on Team-BHP :)

Just passing it on. If it isn't good on the CDs, it's bound to be good for the car/bike :D

Anyone used rubbing compound like the one used for filling up scratch in your car paint work?

Sometime back in USA, we used to get CD scratch removal machine. Just rotate handle, it polished CD. I saw it in staples too, but different version.
But touching CD surface, damages it.

Hi fellow fm's,

Today i got some rare tamil audio cd collections like pyramid, 5 star, hmv, alai osai etc. Most of cds is in good condition. But few cds looks very scratchy, although it is play well. How to remove the scratches. Friends, Please advise me for this issue.

Thanks
Ramesh:)

Hi fellow fm's,

Today i got some rare tamil audio cd collections like pyramid, 5 star, hmv, alai osai etc. Most of cds is in good condition. But few cds looks very scratchy, although it is play well. How to remove the scratches. Friends, Please advise me for this issue.

Thanks

Ramesh:)

Hi,sir
Where from you got those CDs?
Please share price and albums available with them.
Thanks

Hi,sir
Where from you got those CDs?
Please share price and albums available with them.
Thanks

Hi ttarasu,

Sorry for the delayed reply.., here my collections..i bought this cds at a local cd shop.

Thanks
Ramesh

Last edited by a moderator:
Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back