CD - Maaya - Thanks to thevortex

srramanujam

Many many years ago, it seems, Rajiv invited thevortex, my brother and myself to listen to his horn loaded speakers with Lyrita.

The vortex played Poonguyil, a Bharathiyar song from Maaya - The colour of rain. Its Piano and Voice for a completely non conventional performance. Slow staccatto of a Piano with a flowing voice like Sikkil Gurucharan sounds incongrous, but the music wasnt. I remembered the song and the album.

A few weeks back i picked this up when i went to Charsur Studio in Madras. The moment to listen came yesterday when the skies opened up in Bombay. I was sitting in office, playing the song and looking out of the window. I could see the rain, hear a bit of it, but not see the colour of rain - The colour of the music though is a kaleidascope. An uncomplicated album for any mood, especially when you want to close your eyes and contemplate.

Title - Maaya, The colour of rain
Label - Charsur Digital Works
Artistes - Anil Srinivasan (Piano) and Sikkil Gurucharan (Vocal)
Price - Rs 195

Go grab - You could also order online.

This is the second time i am showcasing Charsur CDs. Mr Bharat and Mr Lokahnde (http://www.hifivision.com/introductions/10530-new-acquisition.html) of Charsur Studio are very helpful salesmen. They let you listen to any song, including All India Radio (it still exists) and occassionally the cooker whistle in the neighbouring flat. You can bargain your hearts content, they will agree on whatever price you say, and will let you pay with your neighbours credit card. They will even see you off and help negotiate with the autowallahs - the second most wonderful breed of people. Thanks to Mr Bharat and Mr Lokahnde, i have been exposed to this wonderful CD. I will be eternally grateful to them. They are the best people to sell audio to unsuspecting common men.

Attachments

• Maaya_large.jpg
    Maaya_large.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Thanks for the reco. We should have more discussions like this on the forum.

KIndly post how to order this cd online.

Manoj

This is the second time i am showcasing Charsur CDs. Mr Bharat and Mr Lokahnde (http://www.hifivision.com/introductions/10530-new-acquisition.html) of Charsur Studio are very helpful salesmen. They let you listen to any song, including All India Radio (it still exists) and occassionally the cooker whistle in the neighbouring flat. You can bargain your hearts content, they will agree on whatever price you say, and will let you pay with your neighbours credit card. They will even see you off and help negotiate with the autowallahs - the second most wonderful breed of people. Thanks to Mr Bharat and Mr Lokahnde, i have been exposed to this wonderful CD. I will be eternally grateful to them. They are the best people to sell audio to unsuspecting common men.

Yep its a nice CD.

Are you serious about the salesmen? :) I am ready to quit making any purchases in bangalore and travel all the way to Chennai to buy from them :)

Last fortnight I purchased a Charsur CD of Ariyakudi Ramanuja Iyenger (accompanied by TN Krishnan and Palghat Mani Iyer )- the recording from 1963 was so horrible, I could not listen beyond 5 mins. I am piste that they could even try to sell of something of such terrible quality for INR 575/-!!! I want to return it but dont know whom to contact in Charsur to make a complaint. Its obviously not the dealer fault as it is not a defective CD just a horrible recording.

Regards

Last fortnight I purchased a Charsur CD of Ariyakudi Ramanuja Iyenger (accompanied by TN Krishnan and Palghat Mani Iyer )- the recording from 1963 was so horrible, I could not listen beyond 5 mins.

Most of Ariyakudi's recordings are old. I guess one needs steel ears and deep technical appreciation of music to listen to these recordings. My dad used to listen to Maharajapuram Viswanatha Iyer and GNB in a two in one. I used to run out of the house.

You could call the Studio. They may exchange it. There is a brilliant Mali - TN Krishnan - Palghat CD. Recording is not great, but you can last an hour. You could swap it for it if you are lucky. You may have to pretend that the CD is bad though.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back