CD player for CA 640A and MS 906i

[email protected]

Hi
Sometime back I got help from this fourum in deciding to buy the above amp and Speakers, now I am trying to purchase a CD player for the same... I would like to have a CD player which can play mp3 cds, or have a USB interface....is this available , will there be any effect on the music...budget is around 15-20 K any suggestions/inputs /recommendation will be highly appreciated......
Thx
S

definitely consider the CA DVD99. Don't think it plays MP3s (although i hear there is a hack available), i doubt you'll find a good CD player that plays MP3s. The DVD99 is a a very good budget CD player, and costs 14k. Plus it does a good job playing DVDs, has analogue 5.1 out, accepts USB input etc., A good deal.

Also, there are many on these forums who believe that for about 25k you can put together a computer based music source that can kick the ass of CD players much more expensive.

definitely consider the CA DVD99. Don't think it plays MP3s (although i hear there is a hack available), i doubt you'll find a good CD player that plays MP3s. The DVD99 is a a very good budget CD player, and costs 14k. Plus it does a good job playing DVDs, has analogue 5.1 out, accepts USB input etc., A good deal.

Also, there are many on these forums who believe that for about 25k you can put together a computer based music source that can kick the ass of CD players much more expensive.

and the hack definitely works :)

How does it perform though? I do believe it was part of the shootout right? BTW how come no one else is writing about the shootout? Might be Venkat sir is busy, but surely the others can post something???

Well i did put down a few lines(well very few). But was waiting for a more detailed report from Venkatcr since i dont remember a few tracks played and no pics :(

My Bad. will post my detailed review soon...

performs very well dude. I liked it a shade better than the Oppo 983. The Oppo 983 is smooth and sophisticated and probably works very well for jazz and classical and stuff like that. I preferred my Marantz to the Oppo for what I thought was greater detail, and better dynamic range (and a bit more bass). I was not in a good position to judge the soundstage, but those who did also confirmed that the marantz had a better soundstage.

The CA seemed somewhere in between the two, although on a couple of tracks it sounded a bit bright. But considering the wide range of music played, the CA was a favourite on more tracks than the other two. Now, also considering its video features and all that, it does make a compelling case as a universal disc player (it also plays SACD and DVD-A).

How does it perform though? I do believe it was part of the shootout right? BTW how come no one else is writing about the shootout? Might be Venkat sir is busy, but surely the others can post something???

performs very well dude. I liked it a shade better than the Oppo 983. The Oppo 983 is smooth and sophisticated and probably works very well for jazz and classical and stuff like that. I preferred my Marantz to the Oppo for what I thought was greater detail, and better dynamic range (and a bit more bass). I was not in a good position to judge the soundstage, but those who did also confirmed that the marantz had a better soundstage.

The CA seemed somewhere in between the two, although on a couple of tracks it sounded a bit bright. But considering the wide range of music played, the CA was a favourite on more tracks than the other two. Now, also considering its video features and all that, it does make a compelling case as a universal disc player (it also plays SACD and DVD-A).

Does sound impressive. Never thought any other universal player would sound better than the Oppo for Audio CDs.

@psycho- I played around with the settings on DVD99 and changed the EQ preset to Rock and i played James Blunt-1973. The song sounded a lot different. The highs and lows were more pronounced. Then i played Maayaa and it sounded similar to Marantz. I wonder how it would have sounded @ the source shootout playing around with the EQ settings.

Hi
Sometime back I got help from this fourum in deciding to buy the above amp and Speakers, now I am trying to purchase a CD player for the same... I would like to have a CD player which can play mp3 cds, or have a USB interface....is this available , will there be any effect on the music...budget is around 15-20 K any suggestions/inputs /recommendation will be highly appreciated......
Thx
S

Hi:

If you have a 640A then why not 640C V2 ?

640C V2 as a CDP

* Stunning music.
* Detail retreival is awesome.
* Performs more than the price.
* Rave reviews.
* Plays MP3.
* Doesn't have USB interface.

You can also consider NAD/Marantz cdps which gels well with CA amps. But, if you're hell bent on an USB, then the DVD from CA mentioned above will suit well for your needs.

[IMO]

Last edited:
EQs generally spoil the sound for me, so I personally don't prefer to play around with EQs. Best to leave the recordings as they were intended no?

@psycho- I played around with the settings on DVD99 and changed the EQ preset to Rock and i played James Blunt-1973. The song sounded a lot different. The highs and lows were more pronounced. Then i played Maayaa and it sounded similar to Marantz. I wonder how it would have sounded @ the source shootout playing around with the EQ settings.

hey dude! like i said in the other thread. The differences were all tiny to me, and i had to really listen out for them. I could have happily lived with all three. And i am not at all experienced in these matters, so my view is perhaps of not too much significance.

Does sound impressive. Never thought any other universal player would sound better than the Oppo for Audio CDs.

Hai all,

Marantz CDP - Expansive sound stage, good bass and treble.

Oppo 983 - Sound stage not wide, Less bass, Mids not profound, Treble OK

CA DVD99 - Soundstage less than Marantz, Bass and Treble adequate, very revealing sound.

VFM is CA DVD99 IMHO.

N Murali.

Thanks. Not heard the CA yet. I have an Oppo 983 but my brother is using it primarily as a CDP and is very happy with it. (As everyone knows I'm a PC guy). My brother also has a Panasonic Blu-Ray player and uses that for watching movies but uses the Oppo for audio.

Hai all,

Marantz CDP - Expansive sound stage, good bass and treble.

Oppo 983 - Sound stage not wide, Less bass, Mids not profound, Treble OK

CA DVD99 - Soundstage less than Marantz, Bass and Treble adequate, very revealing sound.

VFM is CA DVD99 IMHO.

N Murali.

Hi Guys,

The DV99 edged out the Marantz and Oppo with the given amp and speakers. Except may be with a track from Katie melua and tamil number from Varanam Ayiram. The tamil number sounded very bright if i recall rightly and Katie's voice sounded too breathy and not silky at all with the DV99. The Oppo is by no means a underperofrmer. For all in one player its definitely VFM.

My personal feeling is the MArantz CDP didnt go well with the amp used. It sounded bright and the vocals dominated the music. Where as my marantz cdp does not sound bright at all paired with the marantz amp and gives a very balanced and sweet sound thro the 9.2s. The sound stage is also great.

Now that i have got the Oppo 980 I will try to compare it with the CDP paired along with the marantz amp and give my impressions.

I think a dedicated CDP will always win the race if it is paired with the right equipments.

cheers,
sri

Last edited:
@ the OP,it is a great all in one player for the money.i run the same setup albeit diff spkrs,and can tell u i absolutely love it.quite a revelation really.the mp3 hack works,hv put it up on the ca dv99 thread by sushanth,and he has confirmed the same.this is not to say the oppo is any bad,it was my 1st choice in components,but considering all things the decision was a no brainer for me.cheers

hey guys
don't discount the denon DCD700AE.I am using it with my denon pma2000ivr amplifier and the sound is smooth and detailed.also plays mp3 and is made in japan.(cd players are the most prone to problems and have lesser useful life).
check it out.
cheers

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back