CD player for sub-25k

bazee

hello

I think this point must have been discussed a lots of time, but here are my queries.
I am looking for a used / New CD player for around 25k.
  • What is a SACD player and do we have SACDs here..

• Should the CDP be able to play MP3 format files.

• Which are good sound processors found at this price level brandwise

• Can i settle for a DVD player by reputed brand say Denon and use it for stereo as well or will it be compromise..
thanks in advance.

Last edited:
hello

I think this point must have been discussed a lots of time, but here are my queries.
I am looking for a used / New CD player for around 25k.
  • What is a SACD player and do we have SACDs here..

• Should the CDP be able to play MP3 format files.

• Which are good sound processors found at this price level brandwise

• Can i settle for a DVD player by reputed brand say Denon and use it for stereo as well or will it be compromise..
thanks in advance.

Hi,
Look at the Marantz CDPs. Musical and VFM. Check the 6002(20K) and also check the SA 7001 (SACD player but more than ur allocated budget)

U dont really need an SACD(Super audio compact disc) player unless u have lots of titles. Not too many available so stick to a decent RBCD. The SACD is read only and has higher fidelity than the conventional RBCD. I doubt u will get a decent sacd player for 20/25 K new.

Regarding MP3 it depends on u. Do u play a lot of music thats in MP3 then yes otherwise no. Actually lots of guys will not buy a cdp thats mp3 compatible as it contains a CD ROM drive.

Sound processors i have no idea so cant help.

A DVD player for audio will be a compromise. I guess one can check out an Oppo if u are looking for an ALL IN ONE. To the best of my knowledge it plays everything and audio playback is decent too.
Regards

Hi,
Recently I have auditioned a few CD players in various price range, up from 20K to 50K.

From that experience, I agree with dinyaar that under 25 K, Marantz 6002 came out to be one of the better ones. It certainly was better than the multiple award winning Cambridge Audio 640c v2.

The 6002 was very smooth, so I suppose you got to couple it with not too sober amp and speakers.

The other CDPs under 25K would be the NAD C525, but some users did complain about the transport giving problem. When I raised this point sometime ago in a thread, somebody (probably a NAD reseller) replied that the problem was indeed there with an earlier lot, but the recent ones did not have any problem. The NAD comes under 20K I believe.

On your question regarding MP3 compatibility, let me just say something straight from the heart, I hope you take it in a positive fashion. Generally stereo music lovers would always prefer a well recorded analog recording like LP than a digital recording like CD. Unless the sampling rate is infinite, you really do not capture the music. In CD quality the sampling rate is just 44.1 KHz. But then mp3 quality is even worse. It's a lossy format. Why do you want to buy a dedicated CDP and want to play mp3 on it. I suppose if you really want to do that you can perhaps play them directly from a mp3 player connected to your amp thru a cable (2 RCA to single stereo port).

I have no experience with sound processors. What are they? If you mean something like a graphic equalizer, then it should be of a very high quality matching your amp. Otherwise it will just introduce noise and unwanted coloration of the sound.

Dedicated CDP would always serve you better than a DVD player at a given price point, this I have been told by experts. I have not really tested it myself, but it makes sense, because in the DVD player some more stuff has to go in for video processing and dolby digital decoding, all that stuff I do not know very well.

Let me just say one more thing at the end. I have the view that out of the three equipments (amp, speakers and source), the most important are the speakers, then the source (in this case the CDP) and then comes the amp. However, having said that, the amp and the speakers should form a good combination. I do not know which amp and speakers you aleardy have, but I have built my system around this philosophy and I am enjoying my system for the kind of music I listen to.

hi asit

thanks for your comments.
I take it you are (owning and) recommending Marant CD 6001.
I am looking closely at it as a purchase.
I appreciate your comments about it and CA/NAD players.\

by processors i meant the brains of cdp (if it has any.. or a cdp is just a transport??)ex- denon advertises 24bit /HDAM ?

thanks

I take it you are (owning and) recommending Marant CD 6001.
I am looking closely at it as a purchase.
I appreciate your comments about it and CA/NAD players.\

by processors i meant the brains of cdp (if it has any.. or a cdp is just a transport??)ex- denon advertises 24bit /HDAM ?

Hi, I guess the model is Marantz CD 6002 (and not 6001). I did not ultimately buy it. I actually ended up buying a CD player twice the price. I bought CA Azur 740c. I thought rest of my system could accomodate a CDP like the 740c.

As I have written in my previous mail, I do not know the rest of your system, if you already have one, and in case you are planning on one, what sort and at what budget you are planning to go. My observations in the previous mail was entirely based on your quoted budget of 25K and in that price range I do think the Marantz CD 6002 is definitely one of the better choices. At the end of the day, you got to audition it in a setup closest to your home or intended setup, and then decide.

About the major components of a CD player, it has a transport and it has a DAC (digital to analog converter). Better CD players would definitely have better DAC's.

It would help if you let us know the rest of your system.

You would find the details of my recent CD player search in the thread called "CD player for my system" http://www.hifivision.com/what-should-i-buy/2439-cd-player-my-system.html

hello

asit asked about rest of my system.

Actually i have a home-theater system based on yam and wharfs.

I am under two minds how to add a amplifier to this system and make it a pure stereo system or to start a new stereo setup. My AVR yam 469 does not have a pre-out so can't figure out how to add a int amp.

regards

Get in touch with Dev of Bass Treble .. You'll get this will bill and three year warranty.. Please send him a PM

And NO I am not his agent! He happened to mention this since I am in the market for a CD player too!!:p

Last edited:
Where? Which dealer ?

TIA

Well in the last month two friends bought 5001 and 6002 for 12.5 K and 19.5 K from Boomerang at Juhu in Bombay. Dont know availability in Bangalore though. Tons of over helpful guys here from your city and am sure someone will guide u to the marantz dealer.

hello

asit asked about rest of my system.

Actually i have a home-theater system based on yam and wharfs.

I am under two minds how to add a amplifier to this system and make it a pure stereo system or to start a new stereo setup. My AVR yam 469 does not have a pre-out so can't figure out how to add a int amp.

regards

If you are planning to use the Yam anywhere in your system, there is no point in this exercise.
There is nothing you can do to make any of these to work in a hi-resolution two channel system. I know some people who tried doing this with their Denons and Marantz AVRs. It is a no go.
If you want to integrate a two channel and 5.1, you need to go separates. This is a very expensive solution and is an option only for people who want an equally hi-resolution multichannel system.
For most practical purposes, keep your AV and HIFI separate.

If you are planning to use the Yam anywhere in your system, there is no point in this exercise.
There is nothing you can do to make any of these to work in a hi-resolution two channel system. I know some people who tried doing this with their Denons and Marantz AVRs. It is a no go.
If you want to integrate a two channel and 5.1, you need to go separates. This is a very expensive solution and is an option only for people who want an equally hi-resolution multichannel system.
For most practical purposes, keep your AV and HIFI separate.

square_wave, you have said more-or-less whatever I wanted to say. Only reason I was hesitating is that I have very little knowledge of a HT system and AV receivers.

I actually go the other way around. I do have a Sony Bravia 37" LCD TV and a Sony DVD player to go with it. Seldom we watch movies, but when we do, the sound from the DVD is down-mixed within the DVD player to 2-channel stereo audio (with simulated surround) and then using the digital coaxial-out of the DVD player goes to the coaxial-in of my CA azur 740c which can also be used as an upsampling (24/384) DAC which is then connected to my 2-channel analog stereo amplifier. Since my Canton speakers are simply excellent (with freq response going down to 22 Hz), this really gives extremely good sound for movie-watching (much better than many HT's, I think, but this is subjective). Among other improvements over the DVD player directly connected to my 2-channel amplifier is a big improvement of the human voice in movies.

The original reason for this set-up however was not for movies but just to try out the DVD player as an alternate transport and the 740c as a DAC. I am using a Cambridge Audio coaxial cable which is quite cheap (Rs1600 for 1m) but very good for the money.

square_wave, you have said more-or-less whatever I wanted to say. Only reason I was hesitating is that I have very little knowledge of a HT system and AV receivers.

I actually go the other way around. I do have a Sony Bravia 37" LCD TV and a Sony DVD player to go with it. Seldom we watch movies, but when we do, the sound from the DVD is down-mixed within the DVD player to 2-channel stereo audio (with simulated surround) and then using the digital coaxial-out of the DVD player goes to the coaxial-in of my CA azur 740c which can also be used as an upsampling (24/384) DAC which is then connected to my 2-channel analog stereo amplifier. Since my Canton speakers are simply excellent (with freq response going down to 22 Hz), this really gives extremely good sound for movie-watching (much better than many HT's, I think, but this is subjective). Among other improvements over the DVD player directly connected to my 2-channel amplifier is a big improvement of the human voice in movies.

The original reason for this set-up however was not for movies but just to try out the DVD player as an alternate transport and the 740c as a DAC. I am using a Cambridge Audio coaxial cable which is quite cheap (Rs1600 for 1m) but very good for the money.

Hi Asit,
If you like watching movies in 2 channel (like you and me), then you can of course integrate both in many different ways.
I have two different setups. Main hifi and a two channel setup for the LCD. I had to do this because both are in two different locations. A used integrated with a pair of bookshelf speakers work like a charm for the LCD rig;)

For people who want the multichannel experience for AV, this will be a compromise for movies.

Get in touch with Dev of Bass Treble .. You'll get this will bill and three year warranty.. Please send him a PM

And NO I am not his agent! He happened to mention this since I am in the market for a CD player too!!:p

Bass .. Treble .. Dev .. where? How? Coimbatore or Chennai or Bangalore?

Can you give me more specific details?

Much appreciated. :)

TIA

consider pioneer pd-d6-s with bill 27k in bangalore
has SACD /MP3/WMA playback
Dual BurrBrown DAC 24bit/192khz ,
Toroidal transformer powered
The Twin Burr Brown D/A Converters runs to guarantee the most subtle music detail reproduction and delivers enhanced linearity, dynamic range and distortion response.

The Legato Link PRO serves to ensure minimum phase shift across the entire audible frequency band (It uses a smoother digital filter, so that a more natural sound can be achieved).

The SACD DSD single-chip decoding of the PD-D6 reduces the digital circuitry signal path length, creating brilliant noise-free sound. An extremely stable, high performance Low-Jitter crystal oscillator circuit serves as a highly precise master clock for sound reproduction.

PriceLess Electronics

I auditioned the D6. The speakers at the dealers were of poor quality, although I took my amp, I could not enjoy the audition. Also I felt the treble on the D6 sounded like fine glass shattering with a tinkle.

I haven't heard the Marantz cd6002 but at 10K less, I decided to pick it up going by the reviews and its match with the NAD amplifier.

I feel that sellers who want to sell a dedicated CDP at 100% premium above International prices should reconsider their folly.

Thanks

Bass .. Treble .. Dev .. where? How? Coimbatore or Chennai or Bangalore?

Can you give me more specific details?

Much appreciated. :)

TIA

Hi ,

Bass Treble is located in Coimbatore , you can contact Dev @ 09894018283 , I dont know the full address , just give him a call or drop a message and yes he authorized for Marantz Products.

Mohan.

Already mailed him a cheque. Waiting for delivery :D

His address is

Bass Treble
32,Ramachandra Road, R.S.Puram
Coimbatore 641 002
Tamilnadu India
Tel: +91 (0)422 2542992
Mob: +91 98940 18283
Bass Treble

Regards

Already mailed him a cheque. Waiting for delivery :D

His address is

Bass Treble
32,Ramachandra Road, R.S.Puram
Coimbatore 641 002
Tamilnadu India
Tel: +91 (0)422 2542992
Mob: +91 98940 18283
Bass Treble

Regards

YOu will be very happy. Its one classic player. It is rated better than most Denon's and thats a huge complement as Denon's play very strongly in this price category. The key is the components thats used in these players as well as the option to disable non-used circuits like optical that enhance its quality. I spoke to a friend of mine in Germany who owns this. He bought it 2 yrs ago mostly as a stop gap as he wanted and SA 15 but has decided to stick with this and is not looking to upgrade anytime soon.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back