CD Player or Blu-ray player?

After a lot of R&D, I have zeroed on a dedicated ACD: Pioneer PD-10AE. Should I go ahead?​

As is often discussed, modern budget CD players occasionally have issues with laser pickup. It's better to check out official service availability of the brand in your city and take a call. For CD player atleast, I'll avoid gray market products without any warranty or support.

This model just has analog out, are you sure you dont want digital output ?
Makes more sense to spend a little more and take a player with digital out.
This will help to connect a Dac in future.
Today most players have at least one digital out.

Excuse my ignorance, but why would I require a digital output? How does it help? All I want is a CD player that I can connect to my AVR, and that can be done with the RCA cables. Am I missing something??

Excuse my ignorance, but why would I require a digital output? How does it help? All I want is a CD player that I can connect to my AVR, and that can be done with the RCA cables. Am I missing something??
A digital out will give you the flexibility to use a better DAC if you want. Otherwise you will have no problem in using it the way you have described it. 'Usually' most good CD players have digital out.
The AKM DAC in the Pioneer is a pretty standard. May be adequate for your system. However at that price you may also consider Marantz CD5005 or CD6006 as well. More features and flexibility. Also Marantz is serviceable easily in most places. Find out about Pioneer warranty and serviceability at your place.

Last edited:
Since you have a large collection of CDs I'd suggest to stretch your budget and get a new Marantz CD5005 which also has an optical/coaxial digital out.

In case if you have an AVR with better DAC than your Pioneer CD player, digital out makes sense to utilize AVR's DAC. If you budget allows, pls get a Marantz CD6006 which is retailing around 29k.... You will get USB in, better DAC & of course digital outs in this model.

In case if you have an AVR with better DAC than your Pioneer CD player, digital out makes sense to utilize AVR's DAC. If you budget allows, pls get a Marantz CD6006 which is retailing around 29k.... You will get USB in, better DAC & of course digital outs in this model.
I am not sure if the DAC of my HTR-3072 (Yamaha) is better than the DAC of the Pioneer CD player. From the discussion, it became clear that with a digital out from the CD player, I will be able to use an external DAC or the AVR DAC. Right now I don't have any plan of an external DAC to complicate the things anymore, however, would like to keep the option open for the future.

So, as suggested by most of the members, I am shifting my focus from Pioneer to Marantz. Now get ready for another round of debate: CD5005 @ 23K or CD6006 @ 29K???? Is the higher price of CD6006 worth? My AVR has a USB port for music, so I don't need another USB port in the CD player.

Last edited:
A digital out will give you the flexibility to use a better DAC if you want. Otherwise you will have no problem in using it the way you have described it. 'Usually' most good CD players have digital out.
The AKM DAC in the Pioneer is a pretty standard. May be adequate for your system. However at that price you may also consider Marantz CD5005 or CD6006 as well. More features and flexibility. Also Marantz is serviceable easily in most places. Find out about Pioneer warranty and serviceability at your place.
Thanks for the explanation! I heard that service/spare costs of Marantz is much higher compared to Pioneer. Any idea?

If you're pocket is extremely tight the 5005 is good enough. If you can stretch, the 6006 is definitely better.

Thanks for the explanation! I heard that service/spare costs of Marantz is much higher compared to Pioneer. Any idea?
You will have to check the respective websites of the two companies and find out who are the service agents in your area and talk to them.
Usually electronics is not the issue. Either transport or the laser pickup that gives trouble. Models at this range use generic Philips/ Sony/Sanyo parts. Should not be a problem.

Do keep in mind the SOUND (Sonic Signature) of these 2 Brands (Very important to me in my selection process):

To my ears,
* Marantz has a Warm Sound
* Pioneer has a lean and fast sound.

YMMV

Apparently, CDs are gradually becoming a thing of the past and are already history. The latest technological breakthroughs were Blu-ray discs. There are a lot of ideas and options on the Internet.

I would make a decision on the below priorities :
1) the Quantum of CD/DVD/Bluray disks already inventory or planning to purchase. If you have a mixed collection or olanning to buy a mixed collection then its a no brainer to go for a good Bluray player with a digital/optical out.

2) choice of brand and serviceability as mentioned above. Classic example is my pioneer bluray main board blew for some reason. Replacement cost 11,000/-. 6-8 months later it stopped working again and I dont want to spend another few thousands to get that repaired. Whereas my sony bluray player has done service 4x years longer than the pioneer with only a remote issue. Sony service centre was 10 mins away so got my new remote and we went back to spinning our favourite disks.

I would make a decision on the below priorities :
1) the Quantum of CD/DVD/Bluray disks already inventory or planning to purchase. If you have a mixed collection or olanning to buy a mixed collection then its a no brainer to go for a good Bluray player with a digital/optical out.

2) choice of brand and serviceability as mentioned above. Classic example is my pioneer bluray main board blew for some reason. Replacement cost 11,000/-. 6-8 months later it stopped working again and I dont want to spend another few thousands to get that repaired. Whereas my sony bluray player has done service 4x years longer than the pioneer with only a remote issue. Sony service centre was 10 mins away so got my new remote and we went back to spinning our favourite disks.
The OP hasn't been seen in the forum for almost 2 years. I doubt he is still following the thread 😀

i agree but that will be out of his budget.

Buy a preowned cd player.
Go for dedicated cd player that provide built in DAC which tuned perfectly to gives good output from CDs

I have Music Hall CDP collecting dust, you can source from me, however I will suggest you to Rip all your CDs (I have done same hence my CDP of no use now) and playback same from PC, Mac with external DAC, same PC you can use as a Audio Streamer and play back your collection plus audio streaming services.

This will make your CD collection rack will also free space

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back