CD Player or Blu-ray player?

bedantabd

I have a large collection of original music CDs which are gathering dust for last 5 years or so. Looking for a CD player that I can connect with my newly acquired AVR Yamaha HTR-3072. Should I go for a pure CD player or a player that can handle CDs / DVDs / Blu-rays so that I can watch movies as well? Can anyone suggest a model, budget around 15K?? Thanks in advance.

if u want to listen to music purely go for a dedicated cd player. else if u want to listen to multiple disc format go for bd player. but should lose quality playing cds in bd player doesnt sound so good.

if u want to listen to music purely go for a dedicated cd player. else if u want to listen to multiple disc format go for bd player. but should lose quality playing cds in bd player doesnt sound so good.
unless of course you get good quality BD players that are capable of providing excellent resolution on CD's as well.

I have a large collection of original music CDs which are gathering dust for last 5 years or so. Looking for a CD player that I can connect with my newly acquired AVR Yamaha HTR-3072. Should I go for a pure CD player or a player that can handle CDs / DVDs / Blu-rays so that I can watch movies as well? Can anyone suggest a model, budget around 15K?? Thanks in advance.
I have audiophile marantz bluray player, I use as CD player, very nice sounding, 100 percent working, 98 percent cosmetics, I have original packaging box, I have original power cable, I have original remote control, if you interested in buying please share your WhatsApp no, I sent you original picture of marantz bluray player, live WhatsApp videos also available, marantz bluray player around 3 year old, shipping is possible all over India,

Sony UBP X700. Serves as an excellent resolution CD player as well , as confirmed by a veteran audiophile who used to own a high end Ayon CDP.

If you are not considering a dac go for a pure acd player.
I am having an oppo bdp 95 Blue-ray Player. But I feel my old Cambridge audio azur 840c was better performing than oppo.
Just my opinion.

Sony UBP X700. Serves as an excellent resolution CD player as well , as confirmed by a veteran audiophile who used to own a high end Ayon CDP.
Thanks for the suggestion, however, this is not available online at present. Can you suggest any other model?

If you are not considering a dac go for a pure acd player.
I am having an oppo bdp 95 Blue-ray Player. But I feel my old Cambridge audio azur 840c was better performing than oppo.
Just my opinion.
You are absolutely right... my opinion too.
The Cambridge 840C was and is a superb cd player. Though Oppo Blu-ray players are excellent for Audio also, the 840C is far superior for music compared to the Oppo 95.

I have a large collection of original music CDs which are gathering dust for last 5 years or so. Looking for a CD player that I can connect with my newly acquired AVR Yamaha HTR-3072. Should I go for a pure CD player or a player that can handle CDs / DVDs / Blu-rays so that I can watch movies as well? Can anyone suggest a model, budget around 15K?? Thanks in advan
Hello , you can buy a dvd player and connect it to your avr via coaxial or optical cable. You can also buy a CDP as most people say that for music listening a CDP is the right choice.
Regards

@bedantabd , I just got my first dedicated CDP (Marantz CD5005) 2 months ago, believe me my old CD collection has now got a new life. They are sounding so crisp, crystal clear & very musical.. If you intend to buy a player for music listening, you MUST go with a dedicated CDP. I used to play my CD's on my Pioneer DVD player, the sound was good but nowhere near the SQ of a dedicated CDP. Marantz CD6006 is on sale under INR 30K on hifimart, I'd recommend you to go for this model from Marantz ( as this would support USB playback mp3, wma, wav) or Marantz CD5005 must your bet, you'd get this around 23K

Last edited:
As much as they sound awesome, most budget CDP's use cheapo budget lasers which go kaput in a few years. At least with a branded bdp you get a solid transport which will be reliable.

If you are handy with electronics and can swap out a laser like me, then a new player will be ok

Since you have taken your AVR recently, I guess you will keep it for few years. With AVR you are not going to get a big difference in sound quality as far as stereo music listening is concerned. Best option is to go for a older BD player which has both Analogue as well as digital or HDMI output. Models like Sony BDP-S370 offers SACD compatibility and has both output. You can utilise it for movie and music. Also BD players offer wide support for Audio and video codecs than CD players

@bedantabd , I just got my first dedicated CDP (Marantz CD5005) 2 months ago, believe me my old CD collection has now got a new life. They are sounding so crisp, crystal clear & very musical.. If you intend to buy a player for music listening, you MUST go with a dedicated CDP. I used to play my CD's on my Pioneer DVD player, the sound was good but nowhere near the SQ of a dedicated CDP. Marantz CD6006 is on sale under INR 30K on hifimart, I'd recommend you to go for this model from Marantz ( as this would support USB playback mp3, wma, wav) or Marantz CD5005 must your bet, you'd get this around 23K
Just realised that 6006 does not support wav.. my bad :(

Guys, Need Your Suggestions too:

I would like to spend a Max of Rs 25,000 for a Transport to play my CDs (I mainly playout Via Computer to my DAC)

Can you recommend (Based On Sound Quality alone) a CD Player or Blu-Ray Player that I can use to feed to my DAC via SPDIF or AES/EBU Digital. I will ONLY be using it via its Digital (SPDIF) out. I will NOT be using any DAC built into the player.

My DAC will NOT accept digital via HDMI, so SPDIF Out is ESSENTIAL for me.

Would like to hear from Actual users who have experience with the product that you are recommending.

Many Thanks.

Last edited:

Is this finding based on using the CD player & Bluray player just as transport or using their internal DAC ?

Is this finding based on using the CD player & Bluray player just as transport or using their internal DAC ?
I am using inbuilt DAC of my Marantz CD player…. I use my DVD player as a transport to feed the inbuilt DAC in my AVR (Denon 3500)

Back