Cd player suggetions pls

Rajeshrev

My system is
Project essential 2 usb Turntable connected by Stock rca cable to naim
Ipod classic 80gb
Onkyo DS-A4 ipod dock(now i use only to charge my ipod) connected by monster interlink100 rca cable to naim
Iphone X
Oppo ha2se dac connected by 3.5 mm to rca by chinese cable(ali exp 1000/-)
Naim nait 5si int amp
B/W 606s2 speaker
Monitor Audio Rs1 BS Speaker
Astonia subwoofer
Acoustic Research master series speaker cable

I listen to all kinds of music mainly
Marathi /kannada bhajans,bhavgeet natyasangeet bollywood indian classical
Classic rock pop country
My question is
I want to add cd player (denon dcd800/marhantz6006)
Want to change 3.5mm to rca cable(mogami/audioquest tower)
Kindly suggest some options
Thanking you

At this price point, I believe Denon CD players offers better reliability and sound quality over Marantz. Marantz entry CD players, though they sound good, are plagued with defects related to transport or laser modules. Denon DCD-720AE or DCD-800NE are both solid players with robust transport and good DAC. Even Onkyo C7030 is an excellent CD player for the money.

There are some used CD players in the forum for sale if you want to go down that route. You might get a good deal on a CD player a class higher than the ones above.

At this price point, I believe Denon CD players offers better reliability and sound quality over Marantz. Marantz entry CD players, though they sound good, are plagued with defects related to transport or laser modules. Denon DCD-720AE or DCD-800NE are both solid players with robust transport and good DAC. Even Onkyo C7030 is an excellent CD player for the money.

There are some used CD players in the forum for sale if you want to go down that route. You might get a good deal on a CD player a class higher than the ones above.
Tnx i will chk

I am a Marantz fan, so, I will recommend the Marantz CD6006 CD player. I am personally using Marantz CD6002 for the last ten years.

Also, Mogami's original cables are very decent for the cost and great value.

I would tend to agree with Shyam. While Marantz cd players sound good, they have issues while reading certain disks/tracks. In fact even when you play tracks randomly, sometimes they just sort of stop playing & you have to eject & play the cd again.
Many Marantz users are have faced these issues as you can search in the threads. I too am a Marantz CD 6006 user & its dac + build quality is also very good. While it undeniably sounds very good, but my Pioneer bdp 180 player which costs less than half its price, reads cd's more efficiently & reliably but with lesser sq. In fact the cd 6006 does not read some wav files too from the usb drive which the BDP 180 does. The player may last long but if it has an issue in reading certain cd's or tracks while other players read them then it is a dampener.
After such a lot of feedback from so many users, really don't know why Marantz is sleeping over it.
Pls try the Denon as others have mentioned. If Pioneer CDP was like old times then I would have suggested that too. If you can get hold of an earlier preowned Pioneer PDS 802 or 901 in good condition, then those are great, reliable solid players but they don't have a usb port as they are from the late 90's. If you have a higher budget then go for the Cyrus.

Last edited:
Hi, go for the dcd800 , i am using it for about 1 month. It has Burr brown 1795 dac in it and its really good. it can play hi res flac and dsd files via usb too which you cant play with cd6006.

If i play my cds ripped to aiff format through my Dell laptop & oppo ha2se dac ,naim nait5si & b&w 606 speakers how much sound quality differ improve/decrese over marantz 6006
Kindly share suggestions

If i play my cds ripped to aiff format through my Dell laptop & oppo ha2se dac ,naim nait5si & b&w 606 speakers how much sound quality differ improve/decrese over marantz 6006
Kindly share suggestions
If you replace your laptop by CD6006 and keep your DAC, Amp and speaker intact, then the sound quality will be definitely improve by considerable margin by playing the same ripped content. These days CD6xxx is so commonly used that you can borrow one for an audition.

I would tend to agree with Shyam. While Marantz cd players sound good, they have issues while reading certain disks/tracks. In fact even when you play tracks randomly, sometimes they just sort of stop playing & you have to eject & play the cd again.
Many Marantz users are have faced these issues as you can search in the threads. I too am a Marantz CD 6006 user & its dac + build quality is also very good. While it undeniably sounds very good, but my Pioneer bdp 180 player which costs less than half its price, reads cd's more efficiently & reliably but with lesser sq. In fact the cd 6006 does not read some wav files too from the usb drive which the BDP 180 does. The player may last long but if it has an issue in reading certain cd's or tracks while other players read them then it is a dampener.
After such a lot of feedback from so many users, really don't know why Marantz is sleeping over it.
Pls try the Denon as others have mentioned. If Pioneer CDP was like old times then I would have suggested that too. If you can get hold of an earlier preowned Pioneer PDS 802 or 901 in good condition, then those are great, reliable solid players but they don't have a usb port as they are from the late 90's. If you have a higher budget then go for the Cyrus.
Kindly share your ipod/iphone experience with 6006

Kindly share your ipod/iphone experience with 6006
Hi Rajesh,

I don't use the phone with the cd 6006. I just play CD's or use the pen drive with MP3 and wav files.
I find the dac of this cd player (UK edition) better than the dac of the SR 7011 which I am using.

Regards.

If ripping the CDs for storage/extraction purpose, consider streamer/player/bridge solutions from Allo.
Digione will give COAX out, USBridge will give USB out. Use what is appropriate on the DAC side.
With both these products, you get a RPi based streamer/player.

Cheers,
Raghu

Are you happy with your existing DAC? In that case, why not consider a CD transport instead of CD player? You’d get a better transport in the price you’d pay for a player. The two affordable options, Cambridge CXC and Audiolab 6000 CDT are widely available, well-reviewed and liked by users. A transport gives you the flexibility of upgrading to a higher/better DAC later. Or even having multiple DACs with different topologies and sound.

Hunt around for any of the vintage 1541A DAC based players.
Good option - their musicality is unmatchable even with much higher budget. But be sure you’d be ok with the attendant repairs that are likely to come with old electronics. I got one for myself for a steal, loved the sound for 6 months and then the tray gave away. Get checked and serviced from a trustable expert if you go for old CD players. Also stock up on spare transport/lens assembly if you love its sound.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree with Sachin on taking Vintage cd players.
I have 2 excellent Sony cd players sitting only because of the tray problem.
Sound wise they beat the 6006 hands down..as to my ears.
So suggest if you are taking used get something from the last 12 years

Back