CD Source with Marantz PM6005

iScream

Hi folks, its my first post in HF Vision and I am so unable to take a stand about my CD source.

I just bought Marantz PM6005 mainly due to its on-board DAC CS4398 which i heard same as Marantz have in its CD6005 CDPs. I chose this model considering my budget and with a thought that I would not be spending a hefty amount of money on premium CDPs and i can connect my Macbook Optical out to PM6005 DAC's Optical input.

Now my question is that would it give me a good sound if i buy a cheap Pioneer DVD player with Digital Coax or Optical connecting directly to Coax/Optical DAC input of PM6005? cause effectively I would be using PM6005 DAC circuits for conversion.
would it worth to spend around 6 times more money on a entry level premium CDP/BDP?

P.S. I am in India and have very limited options for CDP/DVDP/BDP range and also the price in India would significantly differ than in other countries.

Though I am not using PM6005, going by the spec, I would only assume that it would give good results as the same DAC is being used in CD6005.

If I were you, I will first try with PM6005 - feed the digital inputs, listen to it, and then you decide if you may further need the DAC apart from what's available.

Hi folks, its my first post in HF Vision and I am so unable to take a stand about my CD source.

I just bought Marantz PM6005 mainly due to its on-board DAC CS4398 which i heard same as Marantz have in its CD6005 CDPs. I chose this model considering my budget and with a thought that I would not be spending a hefty amount of money on premium CDPs and i can connect my Macbook Optical out to PM6005 DAC's Optical input.

Now my question is that would it give me a good sound if i buy a cheap Pioneer DVD player with Digital Coax or Optical connecting directly to Coax/Optical DAC input of PM6005? cause effectively I would be using PM6005 DAC circuits for conversion.
would it worth to spend around 6 times more money on a entry level premium CDP/BDP?

P.S. I am in India and have very limited options for CDP/DVDP/BDP range and also the price in India would significantly differ than in other countries.

As you have the 6005 amp and the Macbook try out the optical connection and listen to the combination. If it suits to your requirements and you are happy forget about getting any other CD sources. Also if possible rip all your CDs to FLAC and forget the CDs as well. As I believe the optical out of your Macbook will most probably equal or slightly better when compared to the DVD/BDP and lower budget CD players.

Thanks Manniraj, I am still waiting for Optical Mini Toslink adapter to use with MBP.
I understand your suggestion and thats the way to go as Plan B.. the only reason i was looking for a CDP/VDP is just because the CD Drive in MBP just stopped working (as it always does on most on the MBP after a year or two :p).. My all of the files in iTunes are Apple Lossles and I don't prefer buying AACs via iTunes, so initial thought was to have a source player while extending my collection.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back