CD vs SACD vs VINYL

Of late I've collected some DVD Audios and then ripped them into FLAC. The SQ is simply out of the world, but just not feasible as a format on the PC though. Each single file is around 300 MB!!! Each album is more than a GB.

and i have seen roger water in the flesh, in Bangalore....hyuk hyuk

yes, the experience must have been awesome, but

for the music which was/is better ?

the live show (not unplugged anyway) or a good system in an acoustically well balanced room?

why I ask is-

i remember, somewhere in my hoary past, going to a deep purple concert, we were in the middle of a sweaty and smelly crowd, and the sound system was distorting like crazy.

and i remember just wanting to get out, and all the grass smoke was adding to my nausea!

and listening to deep purple albums on a good system with a taj mahal tea (or perhaps 15 year old glenfiddich) is a pleasurable experience!

Last edited:
Live shows are terrible reference for acoustics. Studio albums are definitely better. Now the engineer has a lot to do with how good/bad a recording comes out (Metallica's Death Magnet is one to avoid).

I am not an analogue person however I own several SACDs and DVD-As. I prefer SACD's for dynamics and clarity. Having said that they also bring out the worst in systems esp. if they are not setup properly. The listening experience could be terrible. I recall listening to John Coltrane on one such system and the experience was just unbearable. Similarly the Tara Rum Pum and other Yashraj DVDAs are not good at all compared to their CD pressings.

the quality of sound for a live show varies tremendously depending on a number of factors including the guys who are doing the sound.

The Roger Waters concert had sound by Roger Drego, who is probably the best guy in the country for concert sound, and the sound was pretty good, but since I had the cheapest tickets and was way at the back, I have no idea how it sounded up front. People who could afford it tell me it was stunning up front.

Otherwise most Bangalore concerts are done by Reynolds, who are also superb at their job, but heavy metal and stuff is not what they're good at. They did a stunning job with Deep Purple though, whereas I was not too happy with how they handled Iron Maiden. I've worked with them for many concerts (in college) and love the results they can get when they spend some time.

It's hard to evaluate concert sound purely from an audiophile perspective though :) I love concerts and will keep going for them as much as I can

yes, the experience must have been awesome, but

for the music which was/is better ?

the live show (not unplugged anyway) or a good system in an acoustically well balanced room?

why I ask is-

i remember, somewhere in my hoary past, going to a deep purple concert, we were in the middle of a sweaty and smelly crowd, and the sound system was distorting like crazy.

and i remember just wanting to get out, and all the grass smoke was adding to my nausea!

and listening to deep purple albums on a good system with a taj mahal tea (or perhaps 15 year old glenfiddich) is a pleasurable experience!

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back