CDP with headphone out

Rem

Looking for CDP with headphone out I dont mind if it is a portable CDP like the Sony Discman or a normal CDP. Need a one with good sound quality.
Will be getting it fro abroad so any models which is not available in India can also be considered need suggestions from you guys kindly help.

Looking for CDP with headphone out I dont mind if it is a portable CDP like the Sony Discman or a normal CDP. Need a one with good sound quality. Will be getting it fro abroad so any models which is not available in India can also be considered need suggestions from you guys kindly help.

The Marantz CD 5001, and CD 5003 are some of the budget CDPs that have headphone out.

If it is only for headphone use, a Sony Discman or a iPOD may be a better option. Generally a headphone out is better after the preamp/amp stage, and you will find it more easily in a pre amp and a power amp.

Portable systems such as Discman and iPOD are specifically built for being used with a headphone. You will also find it in many 2-in-1s.

Cheers

I got mp3 players creative and ipod but I was specifically looking for playing my audiocds. I have never heard the Sony Discmans need to know about the sound quality any other mftrs making portable CDP's like that.

Rem,
I have a Sony Discman that I use for headphones. I would have to say that its not in the same league as the Marantz or the others. As in, not even in the nearby zone. Mine is just a 1 bit D/A and many are like that. But, even with a better product, somehow I feel that portable players are built with the assumption that they will be used with low bit rate files and not great headphones. The Sony I have seems to colour the highs and lows by default, kinda boosting them a bit alteast. If you are going to sit at home and listen, I would recommend strongly to go for non portable players. However, bringing them from US might be a bit tough. But, you should be able to get a Marantz CD5001 used for definitely less than 8k or so. Its said to have a decent output. Also, consider one more thing - the headphones you are going to use it with. If its tough to drive and whether the signature of the headphones and the player gels well. If you are behind Grado's then you need to make sure you don't pick players that are steering towards brightness or that is sluggish. Also, unfortunately, the player's analogue out sound might not be exactly same as the headphone out sound causing more confusion.
Tell us your budget and your music preferences. Also, if your music is stored in computer, whether you would stream music to your audio system as well and what headphones you might use these with.

I got mp3 players creative and ipod but I was specifically looking for playing my audiocds. I have never heard the Sony Discmans need to know about the sound quality any other mftrs making portable CDP's like that.

Discmans are also becoming rare with the advent of the iPOD. If I remember right Panasonic, National, and a few others used to make portable CD players such as the Sony's Discman. You have to go into the market and see what is available.

Do you have a PC? Then the best and most convenient method is to convert your CDs to uncompressed AIF and listen to them on the iPOD. You would need a 80 GB iPOD as each AIF files will be 4 MB or more depending upon the song's length. You wont find any difference between a CD sound and that of a AIF

Another option is to look for headphone amplifier. Look at Products - HeadRoom - Right Between Your Ears for more details. These are small amplifiers that have special amplifiers for headphones. You get headphone amps from 100$ to 2 or 3 thousand dollars. There is a separate thread running for that also.

If you are clear about your budget, then making a decision would be simpler.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Thats a good idea I never thought about lossless audio formats though I knew about them thankyou for reminding me about them m going to try apple lossless or WMA lossless to rip to my ipod or Zune player. Have a sennheiser Headphone and a Grado is on its way, thats y i wanted to listen to the songs in its original CD quality format.

I do have plans to buy a marantz or a NAD CDP to built my stereo system with amp and speakers but that would take time, I thk for the time being this would be the best option thanks for the tip.

Wonder y i never thought about lossless formats till now :D

You guys are the best

Thats a good idea I never thought about lossless audio formats though I knew about them thankyou for reminding me about them m going to try apple lossless or WMA lossless to rip to my ipod or Zune player. Have a sennheiser Headphone and a Grado is on its way, thats y i wanted to listen to the songs in its original CD quality format.

I do have plans to buy a marantz or a NAD CDP to built my stereo system with amp and speakers but that would take time, I thk for the time being this would be the best option thanks for the tip.

Wonder y i never thought about lossless formats till now :D

You guys are the best

i tried music on my cousin's 30gb video IPOD with my Sennheiser HD215. Sadly, the ipod did not have enough in it to drive the headphones well. So invest in a decent headphone amp before going for a Grado. By the which Sennheisers do you have?

Grado's are not that sensitive. I have driven the SR80 out of ipod without much problem. But, definitely, a headphone amp will increase the quality, in case of SR 80 not much. So, I would rather recommend in investing that money on getting a better headphone. Only, if you are really thinking of spending few hundred dollars split them on both amp and headphones. If its a couple of hundreds there are quite some good headphones that sound pretty good directly from ipod.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back