Center channel Speaker

rud3dawg

Hey people,
How are you all?

:sos::sos:
Well I got a small doubt for which i need to bother you...
I have a pair of floor Standers: Klipsch RF-82s
Specs: FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 33Hz-23kHz +/-3dB
mated to 90 x 60 square Tractrix Horn
INPUTS: Dual binding posts / bi-wire / bi-amp
LOW FREQUENCY DRIVER: Dual 8" (20.3cm) Cerametallic cone woofers
NOMINAL IMPEDANCE: 8 ohms compatible
POWER HANDLING: 150W RMS / 600W Peak
SENSITIVITY: 98dB @ 2.83V / 1m
And I have this old Center Channel speaker from SONY: with 3 Ohms Impedance.

Now my Question that most of you might ve guessed with a little snicker is .. 'Can I run the floor standers with the center channel using a Yamaha rx-A2000??'

P.S: I know its kinda silly .. heard this wont be possible & speakers MIGHT get damaged... but wanted to make sure because I am broke and movies need more dialog uplift which is only enabled with connection of a Center channel.....:sad:

please help me help myself :signthankspin:

Last edited:
btw, congrats. you got some really serious speakers and avr.

Awww shucks thankss buddy!! yeah I have spoken to Cyber Vinay. but between you and me.. I had to sign off an arm and a leg for this setup :rolleyes::yahoo: . I m just waiting till july to start pooling for something but in the mean time .. hoping for a temporary option till the time comes.. btw check out VDO that I will be uploading too in the same link.. A generic run of the mill stunt I did!!!

Dont use the Sony centre speaker. 3 ohm loads might be hard to drive for the AVR. Its better to downmix and listen in a two channel mode, then mix in this fashion.

Dont use the Sony centre speaker. 3 ohm loads might be hard to drive for the AVR. Its better to downmix and listen in a two channel mode, then mix in this fashion.

Yeah currently doing it.. listening to any movie in a 2 Ch audio mode... but the voice is kinda low... any who.. thanks alot for the info Sud98...Any other suggestions am all ears too.

vinay's speaker will perfectly match as that is also a klipsch. I think he was selling for ~17k. I would have taken it had I not gone for thiel fronts+center.

vinay's speaker will perfectly match as that is also a klipsch. I think he was selling for ~17k. I would have taken it had I not gone for thiel fronts+center.

Thansks anm... but I cannot affor anything till july ending :( thats the primary reason for this thread to come into existence :rolleyes:

Sorry to hijack your thread pal, dint feel the need to start a new thread and hence posting it here.

I have had this question always on my mind. How important is it to match center channel speakers with the fronts ? Currently my setup is Monitor Audio M4 coupled with the M-Center speaker from MA. I am not all that satisfied with the sound throw from the front stage when it comes to movies.

So was thinking that if it would make sense any sense to upgrade the center channel to a more powerful one ? My AVR is the Denon 1911.
The M4 specs

Frequency Response +/- 3dB: 36Hz - 22kHz
Sensitivity (1W@1m): 91 dB
Nominal Impedance: 6 ohms
Power Handling (RMS): 150 W

and for the center channel I was thinking of getting the MS Aviano 5.

Sensitivity 89dB
Frequency response 70Hz - 22kHz
Nominal impedance 4-8 ohms
Crossover 1st order minimum phase with DVP
Recommended amplifier power 15-120 Watts

For a quick comparo, the Mcenter specs

Power RMS: 20-120W
Sensitivity (2.83V/1 m): 91 dB
Frequency response: 60 Hz - 22 kHz
Nominal impedance: 8 ohms

What do you all think, upgrade or sulk with the current setup ? I have absolutely no complaints abt the floor standers, they produce some real tight bass its the center channel that's giving me sleepless nights :sad:.

Back