changing the goal posts in loudspeaker design

I am not a studio engineer. :lol: That's Hilarious .... I am laughing at myself imagining that...

cd36ad474b869ff22be1bab5f58e.jpeg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Audio/hifi knowledge wise you will not find more ignorant member than me In HIFIVISION. (See my queries in DIY section :p)
Regarding finding your name ? Lets say Yesterday I had lot of time to explore the net. ;)
"A studio Engineer" That will be the day :eek:hyeah:

hi hitensitapara,

is that you pointing your finger at the screen?

regds

Suri,
I don't know how you found out !!! Yes thats me showing 'newbies' benefits of snake oil on cables. Look how astonished Alan is (grey t shirt with shades)... David (Black T Shirt) was speechless.
Regards
Hiten

Last edited:
Suri,
I don't know how found out !!! Yes thats me showing 'newbies' benefits of snake oil on cables. Look how astonished Alan is (grey t shirt with shades)... David (Black T Shirt) was speechless.
Regards
Hiten

hi hiten,

yeah, those guys have their mouths open!

how i found out - i know that it is a ploy that you say "wish i was a studio engineer- that'll be the day etc.," - whereas you are, in fact, a famous studio engineer with unparalleled skills. when osama wishes to record his speeches, he invokes your name and calls in sudhir (your student, who told me about your other "real" life).

come on hiten - show your true self and do not be modest.

regds,
suri

(your student, who told me about your other "real" life).
That big mouth Sudhi r is a goner...
come on hiten - show your true self and do not be modest.
OK, We osama/obama are on same side. Why do you think I am promoting snake "Oil" ?
obamasnakeoil.JPG

Osama handles publicity, Obama handles Marketing, I handle logistics

Last edited:
I feel future speakers will be an array of small components,
controlled by dsp units acting like a control system :) (sci-fi design)..

Many tiny units will handle the job.. like the small robos developed for future wars to do a more effective job.

at personal level some one may come up with such idea and if all time $ etc available we will see a prototype.

You don't even know how close you are to the truth :)

The ultimate speaker is actually nanotech based - with tiny microscopic driver units (think atom-sized) that communicate with a command unit that co-ordinates their movement basis an input signal - ergo, a moving curtain of air particles that respond at the speed of light and create sound in exactly the same way as the original instrument.

Recordings, similarly, become data-driven and not pulse-driven, so harmonic nature of the instrument and exact nuances of the passage are recorded along with the actual music being played - and not recording in the sense we understand it. Not an acoustic capture, but a capture of the performance - of the notes and emotions. The nano particles then recreate the original from this data.

Of course, it still probably won't beat a single driver, some warm DHTs and a record player of uncertain speed, but it will get the job done for most people.

Sounds really cool.
one problem could be that the "music" would be really made even more relevant in the studio hence the knowledge of the recording engineer would play a more important role ? :sad:

The recording engineer as we know him today may be irrelevant - he will need to be a cross between a musician, a technician, audiophile and have an understanding of the playback technology in its nuts and bolts - bit of biotech engineering will not hurt.

This is a pipedream. But so was the fall of the Berlin Wall....

Those McIntoshes look very cool and unaffordable.

So the chances of a screwed up recording only increases :sad:. I just wish they record 2 channels really well and reproduce it without too much of playing around digitally

Hello, Cranky the interesting part would be whether the raw data will be stored in raw data memory as we know it or in light sticks memory to be able to process more than 500khz sampling at 24bit resolution to allow the nano tech playback.
nosortf

That's a QFP chip, Suri. One can barely see it with the naked eye... It needs an implementation circuit, board, etc - a pretty steep challenge for the average DIY'er...

But yes, it may be used in devices we know. The Squeezebox (and many other similar devices) allow you to do just that...

oops! - it is that small?

i was thinking of an implementation which goes thus - from source (cdp) to transmitter and to receiver which inputs into the digimoda.

can you think of an elegant (perhaps DIY) solution - a solution which is as good as high quality copper wire transmission?

TIA

or, perhaps, these made up transmitters and receivers, based on high quality chips, are available for purchase?

Last edited:
You're still thinking in terms of recording through a microphone. This is a different ball of wax. Think in terms of an orchestra of nanoparticles. The orchestra reads off a 'sheet' with a 'conductor'. The sound engineer basically arranges for the sheet and the conductor, those are digital. Not the audio stream. There is *no* audio stream until playback. It's a little more complex than that though.

Before you think I'm nuts, this is a real proposal, and no, it's not mine. I dunno where I read it though.
hmm if i could draw an analogy to a photograph, would the recording be like a pixels in a sensor and the output from the drivers like a printout ?

so we might not be looking at a stereo setup..more like a single array which gives an impression if stereo ?

absolutely superb! - they would have done better to use the revelator series rather than the illluminator series of scanspeak though.

I am the only person who doesnt instantly 'get' these pictures?
:eek:
And Suri, you may be damn good at your profession, but why aint you into speakers as a profession?:D

Hi Suri,

Whether you go passive or active cross-over design they are a kind of necessary evil as far as colouration of the sound goes. Introducing a cross-over for splitting the frequency is like holding your throat while singing a song to cut / enhance a particular frequency. Hence the best design is to totally avoid it or may-be limit it to the essentials. Then you will have to concentrate on the mechnanical design of the enclosure. probably you will have to conider a full-range speakers (typically a TL type enclosure) where you can have all the low, mids and highs well balanced in the frequency range. Well, you may not have the extended lows and highs but it will be a well balanced sound without the evil of the cross-overs and its related complications in design.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back