Channels vs speakers

Donivlapog

I have a very long standing doubt. Many people go for upgrades to include more channels in their sound stage. From 5.1 to 7.x and then to 11.x and so on. But what if more speakers are added into a say 7.2 set up in existing channels, given the sound signals are just shared, would just get more volume but not upmixing: BUT then we dont have many content that are meant for more than 7 channels either even for 2022 standards. So would it make sense to add more speakers than buying a costlier avr amp with more channel support?

I have a very long standing doubt. Many people go for upgrades to include more channels in their sound stage. From 5.1 to 7.x and then to 11.x and so on. But what if more speakers are added into a say 7.2 set up in existing channels, given the sound signals are just shared, would just get more volume but not upmixing: BUT then we dont have many content that are meant for more than 7 channels either even for 2022 standards. So would it make sense to add more speakers than buying a costlier avr amp with more channel support?
You should ideally buy an avr which supports the number of speakers that your room allows.

My avr supports 9.2 but I am having a 5.1 system. At the most for the current room 1 pair of Atmos is more than enough for my needs.
If at all I have to upgrade in the future, I don't mind going for a 7.1.2 or a 5.1.2 for the same room.

Last edited:
Depends non what ur trying to achieve. But isn't channel=speakers.

A channel can have multiple speakers too. They won't necessarily separate. Theaters for example may have multiple speakers for each channel.
Sounds like a good idea if the amp with support. Idea is to achieve more immersion how u do it.
But the calibration will not read it as a discrete channel so may not extend the immersion as intended for sourrounds. But it is common practice for center ch with more amp.

Last edited:
If you are increasing the number of speakers per channel, the AVR *may* not be able to drive them adequately.

If your question is "is a 5.x setup with decent speakers better than say, a 9.x with not so decent speakers?", I will always for a decent 5.x setup.

If you are increasing the number of speakers per channel, the AVR *may* not be able to drive them adequately.

If your question is "is a 5.x setup with decent speakers better than say, a 9.x with not so decent speakers?", I will always for a decent 5.x setup.
Based on the surround speaker impedance and how many pairs you’re adding to the same channel, you can connect them in series/parallel to achieve the same nominal impedance. So in theory even a 5.1 setup can have multiple left and right surround speakers. If you have 3 rows of seating for example you could put one pair of monopole speakers per row, or two pairs in between each row.
This, crudely, is what theaters do as they do have multiple monopole speakers for the same channel as there multiple rows.
The main issue you’d face is time delay - when calibrating you set a distance for the surround speaker and AVRs won’t let you do this per speaker if you connect multiple pairs to the same surround channel

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back