Cheap 2.1 powered some for PC

jls001

Kindly recommend a cheap 2.1 speaker for use with a desktop PC. Need not be powerful or have lots of bass. Clarity of mids at regular listening level for watching YouTube videos or the occasional movie from the hard disk is all I'm looking for. Tone, treble and bass control knob would be a real plus. My last 2.1 computer speakers were the brilliant Altec Lansing ATP7 but that was 15 years ago:)

I have done minor servicing and repair for friends 2 and 2.1 PC speakers. Out of Intex, iBall, Philips I have found Creative to be comparatively very good build quality. I guess you can control tone from your motherboard audio settings. Creatives come in different price range.
Regards.

W
Kindly recommend a cheap 2.1 speaker for use with a desktop PC. Need not be powerful or have lots of bass. Clarity of mids at regular listening level for watching YouTube videos or the occasional movie from the hard disk is all I'm looking for. Tone, treble and bass control knob would be a real plus. My last 2.1 computer speakers were the brilliant Altec Lansing ATP7 but that was 15 years ago:)
What is your budget?

I didn't even think about that!

I guess a few thousands:)
But that is really important for forum members to suggest you.
A few of my suggestions
Logitech Z-623 2.1 Channel THX-Certified Multimedia Speakers https://www.amazon.in/dp/B003VAHYTG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_42WABb5DAC634

Swans M10 (Black) https://www.amazon.in/dp/B0010LE0OU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_J4WABbF2968C4

Creative SBS A255 2.1 Speaker System (Black) https://www.amazon.in/dp/B00KM41300/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_D5WABb0400A24

forget all these 2.1s. get a topping or something like that and diy some small speakers.:)

I agree with that
Otherwise too you have the cabinet ready from last built for the class d boards
Just start using it making full range speakers with 3 inch drivers.
For the kind of use you have that should be more then enough
And being DIYer you will get satisfaction too

Only issue is devoting time which I agree is a problem

http://www.magnepan.com/model_mini_maggie

Yes, Joshua, impractical and expensive I know but all the useful suggestions have already been made, therefore

ciao
gr

Joshua, I do not know what kind of a room you want to put the speakers in, but there was a time I tried many expensive computer speakers. Then I moved to powered bookshelves (Audioengine) with a Bluetooth adapter and haven't looked back. The sound is superior and you get a lot of flexibility to connect multiple sources apart from the pc and, if you wish, even an old DVD player for music/videos.

OK, IMO, here are your choices given your budget of a few thousands and, no, DIY will not get you even close to this - not even worth DIY given the usage scenario you outline:
F & D - check out the various models in different price ranges
Creative - ditto
iBall Tarang
Thonet and Vander

Last edited:
I have used samson mediaonee bt3,(same driver and amp and box size of their 5 star award won ipod dock in what hifi(if it matters!) https://www.whathifi.com/samson/studiodock-3i/review. it booms a bit, clarity is superior to audio engines and m. Audio studiophile I used. The boominess can be tamed by inserting a price of foam in the ports making sure it's not completely blocked. Small form factor, Bluetooth with good range and smooth sound with lots of detail with a nice midrange. I have compared it against audioengine 2.0 and m. Audio studiophile in the same room returned the audioengine and sold the studiophile, kept this. Be aware of the tamable boom though. ;) at some point I wanted to try modding something, so moved to a microlab, gave these speakers to a friend. Almost 4 years and it's solid. Samsons are underrated / not discussed IMO.

Thanks for the responses, gentlemen.

The satellites will have to be placed within the existing computer table (in bedroom, which is already rather cramped). There are two small shelves already built into the computer table at the sides of the monitor screen. The shelves are rather small, approx 4" x 5" so satellites need to fit in this footprint. I guess this will narrow down my options:confused: but it is what it is. The sub will fit in the space usually reserved for standing CPU cabinets (mine is horizontal type so the standing space is unused).

Another option: buy two powered satellites and get a powered 10" Wharfedale sub from a friend. The Wharfie has only RCA line level inputs. My PC has the usual mini EP audio jack output to drive front speakers from its integrated sound card, so satellites are taken care of. How would one connect a powered sub? Split the stereo output from sound card? Technically this will work but effectively the signal that reaches the satellites or sub will be only half. Don't know if that will compromise volume?

PS: forgot to mention that I'm really looking for a cheaper option so self limiting myself to Rs 4000, not stretchable:D

If the subwoofer has RCA in/ out and satellite speakers (powered) have RCA in, it should be fine right? Crossover handling by the sub.

Klipsch Promedia 2.1.
THX approved, has a sub-level and master volume knob on one of the satellites.
These are as good as it can get. It may be over your budget though.

I have one open box, unused and one used set that is lying idle ever since I started using my own sound system.

Regards,

Ravindra.

Thanks, Ravindra. Amazon price of the Klipsch is nearly 25K. Way above my budget.

PS: forgot to mention that I'm really looking for a cheaper option so self limiting myself to Rs 4000, not stretchable:D

Look at the best Creative unit you can get for the money. They are reliable, well built and sound good too.

MaSh

I just remembered that I have brand new, never used set of Pioneer fronts left and right, surrounds left and right, and a center.

Now, how to power the fronts and also drive a powered Wharfedale sub from a single 3.5 mm stereo EP jack from the sound card?

I could repair my TPA3118 amp (one channel blew and I never bothered to fit another board) and use it to drive the fronts.

Will below chain work?

Sound card stereo output >> 3.5 mm EP to dual RCA cable >> active-powered sub line level RCA input >> RCA loopthrough output of sub driving TPA3118 class D mono amps?

Have never used subs in my life so I barely know anything about them.

RCA loopthrough output of sub driving TPA3118 class D mono amps?

Sorry, didn't understand this chain..

On a side note : I know you may not like this suggestion, but if there is a possibility of getting optical / co-axial out from your PC, then consider any used AVR from OLX in your city (or) try scouting from a local FM.. You may get it for slightly more than your budget (7K) max, with (or) without a remote..

Ex : This ad from OLX - https://www.olx.in/item/yamaha-6-1-working-condition-no-remote-ID1lRr6H.html#73794d9c32

With an AVR and the speakers you have, integrating sub-woofer is just a piece of cake.. You may not use the surrounds.. But eases a lot of your problems and flexible 2/3.1..

Last edited:
Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back