Cheap or expensive HTiB

psinghal

Hi,
I bought a Sammy plasma 43D490 a couple of months ago and while the TV is good, the sound sucks. So, a few days ago, I set about buying a speaker set for the TV. I then realized that it was not an easy task and there was whole new world out there. Going through the forums and auditioning, I made up my mind for the Onkyo 3400.

But I have a question - my primary use watching TV from the set-top box or movies from a USB drive connected directly to the TV. I use Airtel IPTV and it does not offer any surround sound capabilities. in such case, does it make sense to for something like Onkyo 3400 or go for a low end HTIB from Sammy / Pana / Philips / Sony since the source quality itself is very poor.

For your current usage low end HTIB is enough.
But You will get better sound in high end HTIB through HD settop box as they provide Dolby digital sound. Look for log term and better go for High end now itself. Anyway u will be ending up in upgrading later.

But for your USB movies it will be the same.

agree with edjamesx,

i regtret not buying onkyo 3300/3400... instead i bought sony dz510...

i will be moving to my new home and will upgrade to 3400, not sure how much i get for sony dz510...

Last edited:
If you are not planning to use a digital out( optical out) from your tv, then it's better to go for a good 2.1 system or a soundbar.
If you do plan to make things more elaborate in the future, an htib like onkyo 4300, 5405, yam 196 or the likes would do better.

Since you're looking at onkyo 3400, also audition jbl SCS140BK+AVR134 for the same price. Although It does not have hdmi processing (you'll have to connect an extra cable for sound), it sounds much better than 3400. I have both 3400 and jbl installed in my home and jbl beats onkyo anyday when it comes to sound, especially when listening to music.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back