Cheapest receiver with Optical-Input???

angynagpal

Hi,
I already have a 5.1 setup but my amplifier only has 6 RCA inputs (and 2 other RCA inputs for stereo), i.e. there is no optical-input. Now i own a PS3 and wanted to use my 5.1 setup with it, but unfortunately it only outputs surround sound through the Optical and HDMI ports (makes me feel so sad :sad:)!!

So can anybody help me find a receiver which has an optical input and 6 RCA outputs which i can connect to my amplifier??? I dont need anything fancy, just a basic receiver...........the cheapest one (but reliable obviously) available in the market (in delhi). Also, if there are any other solutions to my problem, please help me with that!!

Thanks a lot!!

-Angy

Hi,
I already have a 5.1 setup but my amplifier only has 6 RCA inputs (and 2 other RCA inputs for stereo), i.e. there is no optical-input. Now i own a PS3 and wanted to use my 5.1 setup with it, but unfortunately it only outputs surround sound through the Optical and HDMI ports (makes me feel so sad :sad:)!!

So can anybody help me find a receiver which has an optical input and 6 RCA outputs which i can connect to my amplifier??? I dont need anything fancy, just a basic receiver...........the cheapest one (but reliable obviously) available in the market (in delhi). Also, if there are any other solutions to my problem, please help me with that!!

Thanks a lot!!

-Angy

You can get Onk304 for 18k with opt in.Yam entry level AVR for 15k.

Thats the cheapest??? I dont wanna spend much on this.....after all its just to convert optical in to RCA :sad:

If you can describe the existing 5.1 setup (amplifier, speaker set, company) it will be helpful. It might be practical to just replace your current receiver with an onkyo or Yamaha entry level AVR.

Hi,

Thanks a lot!!

-Angy

HI angynagpal,

Just a clarifications, you need a Cheapest AVR with Optical-Input or need a dts decoder, asking you becoz, you can connect your existing 5.1 amplifier to the new AVRs 6 channel preouts and connecting the PS3 by its digital outputs to the new AVR, rather than that, you may connect your speakers directly to the new AVR and connect the PS3 by its digital output to the new AVRs digital inputs. it will make your problem solve easily.

cheers

Last edited:
HI angynagpal,

Just a clarifications, you need a Cheapest AVR with Optical-Input or need a dts decoder, asking you becoz, you can connect your existing 5.1 amplifier to the new AVRs 6 channel preouts and connecting the PS3 by its digital outputs to the new AVR, rather than that, you may connect your speakers directly to the new AVR and connect the PS3 by its digital output to the new AVRs digital inputs. it will make your problem solve easily.

cheers

Hi,
I believe PS3 has an inbuilt dts decoder (though I am not sure of it). So i think, I just need an AVR with optical input and 6 Outputs to which I can either connect my speakers directly or connect the avr to the amplifier.

Basically, I just want to get surround sound from the PS3 using my current setup (in the cheapest possible way :).

Current Setup:

5 Speakers
1 Amplifier/Woofer with 6 input RCA and 5 Output to the 5 speakers

Company of the setup is Marksons, which is a new Indian company which has just launched itself sometime back (its only now thay have started marketing their stuff).

-Angy

Last edited:
Hi,
I believe PS3 has an inbuilt dts decoder (though I am not sure of it). So i think, I just need an AVR with optical input and 6 Outputs to which I can either connect my speakers directly or connect the avr to the amplifier.

Basically, I just want to get surround sound from the PS3 using my current setup (in the cheapest possible way :).

Current Setup:

5 Speakers
1 Amplifier/Woofer with 6 input RCA and 5 Output to the 5 speakers

Company of the setup is Marksons, which is a new Indian company which has just launched itself sometime back (its only now thay have started marketing their stuff).

-Angy

hi angynagpal,

Yes your PS3 sure will have digital outputs either optical or coxial or even both. I thought your sytem is like a 5.1 set of speakers and a separate analog amplifier, Now, im clear about your setup, that its a sub-woofer built in 5.1 amplifier type home theatre package.

You dont need a 6 channel RCA output equipped AVR to connect your existing 5.1 speaker setup fully.Just connect the speakers directly to the new AVR. Connect your existing subwoofer from the AVRs subwoofer preout and then connect the PS3 by its digital output to the new AVRs digital inputs. This will make your problem solve easily.

Bcoz, why im telling you is, the AVR with 6 channel RCA output normally equipped in the higher end models, in basic 5.1 AVRs it does not have any 6 channel RCA output.

cheers.

hi angynagpal,

Yes your PS3 sure will have digital outputs either optical or coxial or even both. I thought your sytem is like a 5.1 set of speakers and a separate analog amplifier, Now, im clear about your setup, that its a sub-woofer built in 5.1 amplifier type home theatre package.

You dont need a 6 channel RCA output equipped AVR to connect your existing 5.1 speaker setup fully.Just connect the speakers directly to the new AVR. Connect your existing subwoofer from the AVRs subwoofer preout and then connect the PS3 by its digital output to the new AVRs digital inputs. This will make your problem solve easily.

Bcoz, why im telling you is, the AVR with 6 channel RCA output normally equipped in the higher end models, in basic 5.1 AVRs it does not have any 6 channel RCA output.

cheers.

Hey!!!
Thanks a lot for the solution :)!! Can you tell me how much the AVR you mentioned will cost and (if you have an idea) where I can buy it from in delhi???

Thanks once again :)!!!!

-Angy

yamaha RXV-363 is about Rs.25100/- here in chennai, dont no about delhi prices.

Entry level stuff - Yamaha, PSB, and a few more at Lajpat Nagar. Adress being L-10 (if I remember correctly) - Small setup, looked like a residence cum office, friendly.

For Yamaha, visit Gemini near the Red Fort (I got the contact details on this forum). The gentleman there, Mr Bharat Gupta (93111 55528) had several models available to audition. And for the grey market stuff, check with (Mr. Tanuj, Sight & Sound, 9310339238). Bharat does not deal with grey.

To get names and addresses of dealers/showrooms in Delhi contact one of the following:

1. Savoy Electronics Pvt. Ltd, Mumbai - 022-2640 7317. [email protected]

2. Yamaha India, Gurgaon 122001. Tel: (91) 124-466-5551

Cheers

yamaha RXV-363 is about Rs.25100/- here in chennai,

Bro, are all these AVR so damn expensive??? I dont wanna spend so much on it as it wont be of any other use to me except just connect PS3 optical output to my speakers. In this amount I can get a decent Sony home theatre system :-(

Lol...cant even undrstand all those terms used in the ads :). Dont know which model fits my requirements!!

My budget is below 10k!! :)

Hey tell me one thing, sony (and some other companies) have these home theatre systems (amplifier-cum-woofer with 5 speakers) which cost somewhere like 15k to 25k and some of them have optical-in port. So, will they be willing to sell just the amplifier-cum-woofer that has the optical-in???

Hi angynagpal

You can connect your PS3 2 channel output to your Amps Left and Right channels and change the mode to Pro-logic which can solve your problem at present without spending any money. (Your Amp should have the Pro-logic decoder built in)

Regards

sub

logitech is all in one system - go and check on net, amplifier is built in system.

Your home theatre will play no role in logitech setup - but read the reviews- it has 10 inch active woofer and massive sound!!

Hi angynagpal

You can connect your PS3 2 channel output to your Amps Left and Right channels and change the mode to Pro-logic which can solve your problem at present without spending any money. (Your Amp should have the Pro-logic decoder built in)

Regards

sub

Yeah...already doing that. but its not as good (rather nowhere near) as a full 5.1 system :)!!

Hi,

I'd like to open this topic again :) I have a LG 26LE5300 LED TV with digital optical output. Unknowingly I've brought a Philips DSP 2200 Home Theatre which has only 6 RCA inputs.

I searched for cables that convert optical output to 6 rca but didn't find anything;reading this thread I realised that I'd need a Audio reciever.

Please suggest to me a way forward on how i can connect my TV to HT.

regards,
Ravi K

I have a used Onkyo TXSR-503 which i could let go for 8K...let me know (Has three optical inputs ..google for more)

Hi,

I'd like to open this topic again :) I have a LG 26LE5300 LED TV with digital optical output. Unknowingly I've brought a Philips DSP 2200 Home Theatre which has only 6 RCA inputs.

I searched for cables that convert optical output to 6 rca but didn't find anything;reading this thread I realised that I'd need a Audio reciever.

Please suggest to me a way forward on how i can connect my TV to HT.

regards,
Ravi K

You can buy a 5.1 decoder like this - Digitalbay| HDMI| HD Media player| HDMI Splitter| Digtal Bay and use the analog outs from it.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back