Cheated by eBay seller

Yes, It was my mistake, i never checked the feedback of the seller also i was blinded by the paisapay guarentee. Never know about these kind of issues.

Hi sudhishkv,

Sorry to hear about your bitter exp with eBay India... I recently got my iPhone flicked in the Delhi Metro and my heart goes out to you...

Anyways coming to the point.... I don't have any exp of buying selling on eBay.in but have plenty of exp on ebay.com and I believe both work the same...

Some pointers and advice...and some best practices I follow that has kept me safe...

1.) Always bid on someone with 98-100% feedback, go and read his feedback, at times go and even contact another buyer who has given a positive feedback to your seller. Ask him about the genuineness of the item, delivery, seller behavior etc...
- Always buy items in which the seller has taken some personal pics and uploaded and not used stock images... at times if his user ID and date of posting AD is mentioned in the Photo that adds to the credibility of the seller.

2.) Always use Paisa Pay to pay, which i am sure you did.
3.) Always do messaging from ebay ID only, never start emailing or replying to the seller's emails which land directly to your inbox... This way, (may be) eBay has access to your eBay inbox or else you can always show a screenshot to prove the emails are genuine and more importantly the seller can never fabricate a mail coming from your eMail ID and showing that your consent for something which you never gave.
4.) Try and buy items with "Returns accepted"... before accepting the package, negotiate with the courier guy and try and open the box and check the item in his presence... if its not what you ordered or differs from the description or its simply a packet of rusted nails instead of a shiny iphone4 just DONT sign the package... even more... take the courier guy's ID and follow up with his company, get acknowledge that you "returned the item to sender" and never signed for it... and make sure it gets returned back... Pay for the return shipping if you have to and keep a receipt for that... That way you have proof you sent it back...

5.) In any case if you need to raise a dispute, go to Paisa Pay and raise a DISPUTE as soon as Delivery period gets over... then Paisa Pay will block your money and won't release it to the seller until it gets resolved... There after do all your communication on PayPal messaging... this helps PaisaPay as they can read messages from both the parties and figure out who is genuine..

In your case, its super fraud happening, to an extent has he has threatened to submit your FAKE profiles and receipts to ebay... Dont get bothered by them...

You pursue your case with eBay and ensure you get your acknowledge of no receipt from Courier company as your counter proof. Don't accept any communication from Seller on phone... that's pure harassment....keep everything on messaging thru Paisa Pay... thats traceable.

Some more info here... Buying "nothing" on eBay: Detecting eBay auction scams, Daniel Frank Sedwick, LLC.

Help With Possible PayPal/eBay scam

Does Paypal usually side with buyers for non-delivery claim and give them refund from the seller's account?

I really hope your money comes back to your account and a good lesson learnt!

Sorry to read about your bad experience. I hope eBay keeps its guarantee and refunds your money. But if doesn't, the only recourse you seem to have is a consumer forum. There seems to be no appeal process on eBay.

Some guidelines I follow when purchasing on eBay:

0. Purchase on eBay only if the item is not available locally or if the price difference including shipping is greater than 10%. Else it is not worth the risk for me.

1. Seller should have atleast 100+ feedbacks with > 98% positive. If seller has < 100 but > 30 feedbacks, I look for 100% positive.

2. See the previous sold items and their value (especially for high value items). If a seller conceals items sold as PRIVATE, then be extremely cautious. Sellers build up reputation by selling loads of cheap items, and then go for the kill with high value items and fake courier packages.

3. See other items previously sold & currently being sold by the seller. If your item (for ex: iPhone 4) is a one-off item and he is selling completely unrelated stuff otherwise, then stay away from him/her. Usually sellers deal in only one or two types of product lines - like computer hardware & accessories, mobile phone & accessories, audio & video, home & kitchen goods, toys etc etc. If the seller's items are all over the map, then I become cautious.

4. For high value items I always call the seller BEFORE I make the purchase and try to get a feel for the person on the other side. If he is rude or makes me uncomfortable for whatever reason, then I pass on the deal.

5. Finally, despite all the above, if the deal seems too good to be true, it probably is (happens when a seller's eBay account gets stolen or hacked) and you should stay away.

Cheers
Teja

Why cant you get the help of some media persons as there are multiple people facing the same issue from the same seller. Include them and try to fight collectively.

The seller just called me pretending that he is from eBay. I disconnected the call since he was trying to find out what i am doing to get back my money. I am not updating here since i am trying to get back my money using pisapay guarantee process. It takes some time to get back the money. Once i have finished with it, i will update the whole story here for everyone to read.

I got my money back from ebay.

The seller didn't appeal against refund since he don't have any proof of delivery. I told him that i will not accept any parcel from him since i know he is a fraudster. I think the idea was to send a damaged item or a empty parcel to get my signatur to prove that the item has deliverd to me.

The fraoudster is really upset and he is making threatening calls to me.

THANKS EVERYONE FOR THE HELP AND SUPPORT :)

Last edited:
Good to hear that your problem is solved at last. I'm wondering how that guy got your phone number.

Congrats on your refund Sudhish. You should get eBay to blacklist the seller, courier agency and also to take note of the modus operandi (clearly a loophole in eBay india system).

He has my contact number and address which he got from eBay. EBay gave it to him because he supposed to ship the item after payment.

It never dawned on me. The seller needs your address to send the item.:D

If he continues to threaten you, consider filing a case (cyber crime,threatening, cheating etc.) with police.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back