Cheated by eBay seller

sudhishkv

Hi,

I bought an iPhone 4 from ebay for 22K and the guy called me and told that he don't have the item listed since he have already sold it. But he entered the shipping details as follows.

Courier name
AKASHGANGA

Airway Bill number

Remarks
to be delivered within 5 working days

Then i came to know that this is a scam and contacted ebay. They told me to wait till the delivery period gets over and then raise a Item not deliverd claim.

But when i checked the net for the same kind of ebay scam, i came acrross the follwoing one.

eBay Forums: Cheated by seller and ebay ...

This is the exact same thing is happening with me. My delivery date is till July 21st. Using the details provided by the seller is not able track the item and called them, but they have no idea about the shipment.

I am sure that this is a fraud seller and he told he will take the money and go and i will not be able to get the refund.

So what can i do now... Can you guys help me on this?

Thanks,
Sudhish.

Anyone has any idea how to get out of this? I actually sent a mail to both ebay and the seller saying that the delivery receipt without my signature(veryfied with any of my ids) not acceptable to me.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear this Sudhish.

Since you have done your homework and so sure about the modus operandi, suggest you don't wait till delivery date as you will lose your payment too. Start a thread on ebay.in forums immediately mentioning the link you have pasted here. Create noise and get ebay customer care to reply to you there. Document everything, just in case you need it.

Not sure if you can ask your Credit Card to stop payment to ebay.in?

You should not accept the parcel and ask AkashGanga to return it. Only eBay can help you. Harass their customer support. You can also file a complaint with the Consumer Forum of GOI.

Cheers

As expected the seller has send me the following mail without even shipping the item.

Dear kiranec,

the shipping company confirmed that you received the item today why r u doing this i have ccd ebay in this email as well please don't do this I have your signed copy of acknowledgement and your driving license copy i have submitted the same to eBay.

- genuine.snapdeals

Only thing i can prove is my identity, and show that seller has submitted the fake documents.

Well this is ultimate cheating. If you have opened a thread in ebay.in, then paste a link to this thread as well. Don't hesitate to launch a cyber crime case if you lose your money.

Really unfortunate. Goes to show that if a deal is too good to be true, it probably is. Makes it even more dubious as it was a new seller with 0 feedback. In any case, Paisapay does escrow right? That is, paisapay doesn't pay the seller till the delivery is confirmed by you, or it times out. Since you wouldn't have confirmed the delivery, the money should still be with paisapay. Till the money is with paisapay, there is still some hope. So you need to make hell break loose before it times out. Also, file a simultaneous consumer forum suit well within the timeout period, and file a complaint with your bank for chargeback (again immediately). Unless someone from ebay is involved in this, it should get sorted out. ebay as an organization has nothing to gain from this. Hence, unless its an internal job, it should get resolved.

Hi Sudhish,
Contact the ebay customer support, escalate and approach their managers. Also get a written confirmation from the courier company regarding incorrect airway bill number and attach the scanned copy in the email.
I am sure escalation in ebay should ensure prompt action as this is very serious matter of a fraud for a comapny of repute like ebay. Pre owned stuff trading is ebay's bread and butter and I genuinely hope responsible person in ebay will take appropriate action.
Regards,
Dheeraj

Last edited:
Ebay is very strict in these matters. Two months back i ordered a headphone from global easy buy, but the parcel contained just the box and no headphone. I immediately informed the customer care on ebay, and they asked me to send the box to their customer care office. I got my refund within 10 days and the parcel charges of returning the box. Though your's is clearcut case of 'fraud', ebay will definitely help you.
Hope it will be hassle free.

They told me to wait till the delivery period gets over and then raise a Item not deliverd claim.
What ebay has told you is the right thing to do. If you raise "Item not delivered" claim after the delivery period, you will get all your money back from ebay/paisapay.

I am sure that this is a fraud seller and he told he will take the money and go and i will not be able to get the refund.
paisaypay holds the money till there is a delivery guarantee. The seller doesn't get the money till then.

I think i am safe. Seller is started calling me now. I think he is planning to send an empty box or something to get my signature and id proof. I am not planning to accept any parsel from him anyway and no answering phone calls. So I should get back my money if I raise No item received claim.

Thank you all for the help.

in the meantime check if you can file a charge back with your credit card company, if you paid using a credit card.

in the meantime check if you can file a charge back with your credit card company, if you paid using a credit card.
That won't work. If the payment was done by you (i.e. with your knowledge/consent) and the amount debited was the exactly the same that you payed, the credit card company cannot do anything about it.
In such cases it between you and the seller to solve the matter mutually.

I think it can be also used in cases of deficiency of service. It has been know to be used abroad for such purposes. But this is after ebay fails to resolve the problem.

I am still not 100% sure how this fraudsters works. What are the prof he will submit to ebay to prove that i am the fraud intead of the seller. Its more like a metal game. He abuses you over the phone, never though email. He actually asked me whether i am recording the conversation.

Basically he is going to say to ebay that he is deliverd the item to me and i am not confirming the receipt. Thats all it comes in the end. How he is going to play that game, i am not sure. He could have send to someone else and got the delivery receipt and his identification. But the problem in this case how is he going to match my signature and the photo which he already told me that he have submitted.

Or do i have to even worry about all these things? Just wait for the no item deliverd claim to get back my money.

If I looses money in the end, its the total failure of the ebay. Which means anyone can be chated by a fraudster, i he happens to buy one of his item. They will have to have their own item verification service inbetween the seller and buyer. Otherwise the same story will repeat.

What you guys think?

i think the only way to prevent this would be to check the sellers feedback before purchasing, that's what I usually do

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back