Checklist - DIY Audiophile Hi-Fi Rack

Record Player

I am in need of an Audiophile Hi-Fi Rack for my 2nd Audio Setup at Home. This time I plan to take the DIY route to build my own Hi-Fi rack. I am very particular on the aesthetics of the rack as well. I plan to build a 2 shelf rack with 18mm Acrylic Sheets (3 sheets in total) with 8 inches space between each shelf with 20mm Stainless Steel Threaded Rods with spear ends. Each shelf would be 18x24 inches which I believe would accommodate standard sized audio equipment on each shelf. This will be a 3 legged rack. The isolated shelves will start 4 inches from above the ground. I have specifically chosen Acrylic Sheets and not MDF for this project. I intend to dampen these sheets with a slightly different idea :).

I have read through quite a few threads on this forum for guidance; however I would like the gurus to take one look and comment/suggest if any changes need to be made. I have listed below my checklist and also some questions alongside for the Gurus to answer.

Checklist:

1. 18x24 inches Acrylic Sheets (3 in Total) with 18mm in thickness
a. Question: Is 18mm advisable as I am going in for 2 shelf rack? Also is 18mm thickness okay or should I go higher?

2. 20mm Stainless Threaded Steel Rods with Spear Ends (3 in Total)
a. Question: 20 inch Rods should suffice for this 2 shelf rack? Also the isolated shelves will start 4 inches from above the ground. Is this okay?

3. Stainless Steel 20mm Nuts and Washers and 20mm Nylon/Rubber Washers (36 in Total)
a. Questions: Is the above okay?

4. Sandpaper This is to smoothen or polish the sides of the Acrylic Sheets with various grits

5. Knobs for the top most shelf (3 in Total) This is to neatly cover the bare ends of the Threaded Rods
a. Question: Are these available in the market for me to use for the above purpose? If yes, 20mm should be the right size right?

Gurus: Please feel free to add to the above if I have missed on anything.
The material will be sourced from SP Road Bangalore as this would be the apt place to get all the required material. Any other suggestions? Plans are to visit this weekend.

I would also appreciate if you could reference the above material with approximate prices as I do not want to be overcharged.

Thanks in advance gentlemen!

Cheers

2. 20mm Stainless Threaded Steel Rods with Spear Ends (3 in Total)

I suggest 4. Much more stable. Structurally stronger. Much less prone to swaying.

Since you are decided on acrylic, here's some inspiration

If you plan to stick to "tripod", go for one inch thick acrylic. If opting for four-footed, 3/4 inch (=18 mm) will be structurally strong enough to carry most audio gear. For sheer looks, one inch thick transparent acrylic furniture is is grand.

Reocrd Player

i assume you are a TT user

a word of caution when going DIY especially on racks and especailly doing the acrylic "TNT FLEXI rack"
which in fact you are proposing

i have done a lot of racks

there is not even a single flexi rack inspired design that i know of that has no "pendulum" effect or in other words "sway"

these racks look good in pictures but i can put money that no user actually admits about the sway on the top shelf

however much you tighten the nuts above and below the shelf
the sway is inevitable in this design

yes in your case there will be less sway since you are doing only 2 shelves
but i have seen 4 shelf designs that are totally useless

TTs must have 0 sway to function at their very best

Thanks Ali and yes, I am a complete TT guy :).

You know what, I was just thinking about this. MDF has been tried and tested and is used by the worlds best speaker manufacturers. And like you mentioned, sway is definitely a challange with Acrylic Sheets.

So, MDF is what I will use. Is high quality 0.75 MDF panels good for this rack? Also how would it be if I get veneer paneling done?

Now that I will use MDF, I think a tripod design should be fine.

Thanks.

I suggest 4. Much more stable. Structurally stronger. Much less prone to swaying.
If you plan to stick to "tripod", go for one inch thick acrylic. If opting for four-footed, 3/4 inch (=18 mm) will be structurally strong enough to carry most audio gear. For sheer looks, one inch thick transparent acrylic furniture is is grand.
Recently I built one three legged flexi rack. It was little sway as I used exact 16mm holes for 16mm rod. Now I am moving to 4 rods.
Last time I asked about 18mm acrylic, costing 400/- sqft.

Reocrd Player

i assume you are a TT user

a word of caution when going DIY especially on racks and especailly doing the acrylic "TNT FLEXI rack"
which in fact you are proposing

TTs must have 0 sway to function at their very best
Yes this is there. With 3 rods in mdf rack, my TT performance degraded. Now I am looking to fix this sure, with granite slab+ spikes and 4 rods.
has been tried and tested and is used by the worlds best speaker manufacturers. And like you mentioned, sway is definitely a challange with Acrylic Sheets.

So, MDF is what I will use. Is high quality 0.75 MDF panels good for this rack? Also how would it be if I get veneer paneling done?

Now that I will use MDF, I think a tripod design should be fine.

Not only acrylic but MDF will also have swaying problem. But I used double stacked at below and top panel. Yes that helped a lot. Don't ask for pics, its under work still. :)

I would suggest going with 4 rods and 3/4" MDF. Rather just coating top most surface (color or veneer) and applying polish to remaining surfaces.

HOW BAD A METAL STAND MADE WITH SLOTTED ANGLES BE?

1) My budget is not big
2) Time is another issue - I made threaded rod stand and it takes time - also working with glass is challenge
3)I have 5-6 boards of 18 x 24 metal boards and Slotted angles

so how good or bad the system will be. will it givetoo much vibrations... what should be done to avoid that?

I am planning to cover the angles with creatively using electric strips

Attachments

• Rack-Slotted-Angle-Light-Duty-Angle-Rack.jpg
    Rack-Slotted-Angle-Light-Duty-Angle-Rack.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 117
with respect to all of the above

sway will be there whether you use 3 rods or 4#
whether you use glass,granite or MDF- in fact sway will increase exponentially as you go heavier

the basic priciple of the design is flawed sir

you cannot change that

however i do understand that for a DIYer optioinns are limited
Record player
i am not disuading you from your project - i am only enlightening you of some facts regarding the TNT flexi rack especailly since you are thinking TT

in any case please do go ahead and try it
a 2shelf setup will have very little sway compared to a 3 or 4 shelf rack
You might be satisfied

This is exactly the reasons why good rack manufacturers charge the money that they do

That is also the reason why commercially made chinese racks are meant only for room decor / aesthetics and probably HT sytems - never used in serious 2 channel setups

slotted angle commercial racks will sway even more
they are used in pro audio though (rack mount designs - however that concept is differnt)
where sway doesnt play a big role
"hemant@
the only way of minimizing the pendulam effect in the slotted angle design is double bolting and welding

Last edited:
Thanks Magma. Valuable inputs. I will be using MDF for this project as I will be using a TT on this. As its going to be a 2 shelf rack, I will use a 3 legged design.

From an equipment standpoint that I have listed in the first post, am I all set to go?

Thanks...

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back