Choosing a console...

sud98

I need to gift my nephew (16 yr old) a gaming console. They (my sis's family) primarily play PC games from racing games to internet games like runescape to the younger nephew who plays simpler bike and car (flash) games.

What should be the console that I should buy and also the first few games?

1. PS2 - my first choice as it seems to be moderately priced and they dont like and use it, I wont feel really bad. Also, the games are much cheaper than PS3 or Xbox(I think) so it will be easier for them to buy games in the Future. Not sure if there are enough titles. Probably can be modded for cheaper titles.

2. PS3 - Was my original choice but felt the games maybe too expensive for them to play and they wont be buying blu rays soon so may not be worth the premium.

3. Nintendo DS - Was my nephew's original choice, but I think the PS2 has better titles and richer gaming experience

4. Wii - My sis may like it but she is not the target audience :)

5. Xbox - I dont know much, I have heard has the best gaming options but again may be expensive for buying games.
Note - Expensive games here means >1000

Help me make the right decision, let me know if I have missed things too.

What about the PSP? Don't know much about it, but for youngsters, carrying it around would be a definite coolness factor in my opinion. I have the PS3 and am quite happy with it. I feel you should also add the PSP to your "consideration list".

My choice would be the PS2 first and Wii next. Here's why I would choose PS2

• Extensive list of titles, We're still seeing few new releases. This very good considering the PS3 has been here for 4 years now. The number of titles should keep him busy for a while.
  • Reading through the requirements I understand they aren't serious gamers and hence wouldn't want to invest on games. PS2 games are abuntant and cheaper than it's counterparts.
  • It can playback DVD's as well, Can be modded to run Homebrew applications.

Reason I would choose Wii

It's much more family oriented gaming, It allows everyone to come together and enjoy gaming.

I don't see any other reason one should buy a Wii, Games are equally expensive and the quality of games in comparison to Xbox & PS3 are low.

If you think your nephew is going to turn into a serious gamer after looking at all these get an Xbox 360 or PS3. May be ask him what his friends are playing as well, It might be a good choice if he can exchange games etc.

I would choose xbox as among my cousins (arnd 16-22 yrs old) xbox (modded) is really popular and there are alternative options (read pirated) for getting really cheap games.

PS2 is also a good option.

Thanks that info helps. I think I would go for the PS2 now.

I stay in Bangalore, any good places to buy the games and more importantly what are the games to buy. I have played Fifa and Gran Turismo, are they the first ones I should buy. Where do you mod the PS2, is it safe to do so?

sud do you want my PS2? it's unmodded and lying unused at home. I can sell it to you for some reasonable amount. It's in decent shape i think, i haven't touched it in ages though, will check and tell you. oh ya i can throw in fifa and gran turismo also....not to mention god of war II, grand theft auto and some other game.....original....

psychotropic - I did not know you game too!

PS2 is a good choice for a 16 year old. PSP is more modern and with it and he will probably prefer it. But I think the PS2 would be easier on the eye and safer too what with the propensity to move around all over and even outside the house with the PSP in hand!

hehe i don't...which is why i am selling it.....i bought it thinking i'd try my hand at some gaming, but never really got into it much. It was fun and all, but got tired of it quite quickly.

psychotropic - I did not know you game too!

PS2 is a good choice for a 16 year old. PSP is more modern and with it and he will probably prefer it. But I think the PS2 would be easier on the eye and safer too what with the propensity to move around all over and even outside the house with the PSP in hand!

Thanks to all you guys. Bought the PS2 console with an additional controller and memory card (didnt know that it was extra).

Did buy my first set of games, but found that its not an easy job finding a good collection of games atleast in Bangalore. Went to Sony Center/then Temptations/then Crossword/Lifestyle/Sapphire. All these stores sold PS2 games but didnt find any that had more than 20 titles. Anyway, its good fun, to play and I am happy I gave these to my nephews, as I cannot control the addiction to games :)

Thanks to all you guys. Bought the PS2 console with an additional controller and memory card (didnt know that it was extra).

Did buy my first set of games, but found that its not an easy job finding a good collection of games atleast in Bangalore. Went to Sony Center/then Temptations/then Crossword/Lifestyle/Sapphire. All these stores sold PS2 games but didnt find any that had more than 20 titles. Anyway, its good fun, to play and I am happy I gave these to my nephews, as I cannot control the addiction to games :)

How excited he was at receiving the gift?

Very excited. They ( he and his younger brother) have been playing it almost for 4-5 hrs daily. Its hard to glean them away. So totally paisa vasool :)

Can you please tell how much did you for the console and the games? Also, did you by chance check out the market prices of other consoles?

Many thanks!

Very excited. They ( he and his younger brother) have been playing it almost for 4-5 hrs daily. Its hard to glean them away. So totally paisa vasool :)

You may want to check out Landmark @ Forum, Koramangala. They have a good collection of games.

I had recently bought a PS2, with mod chip and component cables, for 6ks, from Fancy Market Kolkata. Works like a charm... obviously the graphics are not HD, but they r alright...

I bought it from sony center @ 5990 same price in almost all outlets. I bought an additional controller and a 8mb memory card for another 1800 bucks. Didnt feel the need of the mod chip as PS2 games are reasonably priced and we bought the following
1. ATV fury
2. Max Payne
3. Grand Auto Theft
4. US Seals
5. One Rally game (not sure of the name prob. colin mcrae or something)
6.Desi adda (the free crap game)

Buying the PS2 along with accessories might have cost you some money from your wallet, but the smile and happiness you have seen on the faces of both your nephews is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more worth than the money that you spent.

Hey you should have gone in for a modded PS2, not only because it can play pir!@#d games but because it can then be used as a DivX player. The USB port can then be used to stream movies from a pen drive. And if you use component cables then the visuals will improve.
There are some particular games which you MUST buy for them:
God of War I and II
Anybody who has owned a PS2 will vouch for the game. And it will be good for the kids too as they will also learn something about the pantheon of Greek gods and Greek mythology...
If you want them to have an even more immersive gaming experience then get them a PS2 Light Gun, which can be used to play games like Virtua Cop, Time Crisis,etc.
A lot of pundits tend to write off the PS2 as outdated but the fun factor remains...

Thanks, but ok with paying a few extra bucks for the original. They dont really care for a divs player atleast as of now.

The funny thing about Gods of War is I suggested it, but my Bro-in-law rejected it saying its 18+ for violence and then they buy Grand Auto Theft which I find really filthy but my nephew loves it, so what do I care :)

Hey you should have gone in for a modded PS2, not only because it can play pir!@#d games but because it can then be used as a DivX player. The USB port can then be used to stream movies from a pen drive. And if you use component cables then the visuals will improve.
There are some particular games which you MUST buy for them:
God of War I and II
Anybody who has owned a PS2 will vouch for the game. And it will be good for the kids too as they will also learn something about the pantheon of Greek gods and Greek mythology...
If you want them to have an even more immersive gaming experience then get them a PS2 Light Gun, which can be used to play games like Virtua Cop, Time Crisis,etc.
A lot of pundits tend to write off the PS2 as outdated but the fun factor remains...

Where can I get a modded PS2 and at what price?
I want to get one for my 3.5 yrs kid who seems to have mastered quite a few games on the iphone and is not willing to let us use the iphone as a mobile. I know these are addictive and may not be suitable for such a small kid, but its only for a month or so post which I will put it to better use. Or should I get a PsP or a PS3.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back