ChromeCast by Google..Play any source on your LED TV/ PJ. Your feedback please..

Subcenter2009

Dear friends,
My brother recently gifted me a small box containing the ChromeCast dongle. It is connected by WIFI to the PC using an app called Videostream. There are more related apps that one can use. The Audio/Video controls are on the source device. It also works well with Mobile phones, Laptops and Tablets.

The device connects to the LED TV's HDMI port and draws power from the USB port. One can also draw power from the AC mains. The pack also contains a HDMI Male/Female adapter to connect a longer HDMI cable.

I am happy with the device as I don't have to use my pen drive any more. It performs without hanging and I am satisfied. Though overheating may be an issue...

It costs about Rs. 3000/= on Flipkart.:yahoo:

Folks, please feel free to contribute your feedback about this device and your expectations about the product.

Yours,
Subcenter2009

Last edited:
Can I use it as input to one of the HDMI port in my home theater? The unit is JBL BD 300.

Can I use it as input to one of the HDMI port in my home theater? The unit is JBL BD 300.

Dear Vipin,
It should be able to pass thru. Just as we are able to see the DVD/BLURAY player's menu on TV both directly as well as through the AVR, We should be able to see the Chrome cast menu if that input is selected. I feel that it will work. Fellow member owners, please clarify.

I am also able to stream media from my 2TB Western Digital (WD Elements) portable HDD to the PC and from there, to the TV. Sound and picture are transmitted by WIFI Router from PC to chrome cast and from there via HDMI from Chrome cast to TV and the audio from TV to AVR via Toslink optical Audio Return Channel (ARC).:cool:

Yours,
Subcenter2009

Last edited:
The Chromecast dongle works like a mirror. Normally, one can see the media being played both on the device's screen as well as the LED TV/PJ.

But, controls are seen only on the device being used at that time and not on the TV.

Hope this enlightens you....:clapping:

Cheers,
Yours,
Subcenter2009

Last edited:
Thanks Subcenter2009. That review was really helpful.

My confusion is in getting this device or go for a new player. I got all my movies in either blu-ray or DVD, hence playing from PC wouldn't make much sense. Was kind of trying to identify a good player which can be used for playing the other region DVDs. If the player cost is not much different from the cost of ChromeCast, then for me going for another player is recommended. ChromeCast comes for around 2500 to 3000.

A bit off topic, but would you be able to help me with a good Pioneer model that I can use later on too once I upgrade to another amp from JBL?

Dear Vipin,
It should be able to pass thru. Just as we are able to see the DVD/BLURAY player's menu on TV both directly as well as through the AVR, We should be able to see the Chrome cast menu if that input is selected. I feel that it will work. Fellow member owners, please clarify.

I am also able to stream media from my 2TB Western Digital (WD Elements) portable HDD to the PC and from there, to the TV. Sound and picture are transmitted by WIFI Router from PC to chrome cast and from there via HDMI from Chrome cast to TV and the audio from TV to AVR via Toslink optical Audio Return Channel (ARC).:cool:

Yours,
Subcenter2009

Hi

If you can help me achieve with chromecast.

I have connected CC to my LG lcd which is not on my wifi network, but now CC is on my wifi network due to which I can mirror my phone to this lg TV etc.

Need solution to watch my movie content from media player - himedia which is on wifi network connected to my panny plasma......I wanna watch movies on to this Lg non-smart tv

Pls refer thread....Converting LCD TV into Smart TV

Last edited:
No you cannot do this. You cannot stream from a media player to chromecast.

Yes so am confirm on that....I have only option to invest in entry level media player and hook it to LG tv and bring it on network to access other content...suggest some low cost one if aware..

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back