Cinema's greatest classics

Malik did take his sweet time to come to the meat of the movie. :D

I found the initial "creation of the world" montage a bit tedious too. But the real movie itself, which comes after, was very good.

I just watched Jodaeiye Nader az Simin (2011) (a.k.a. A Separation)

I'm in awe. This is hands down the best movie I've watched this year. The absolute best.

hydra

You may be right. Perhaps I switched off before the main course had been properly served. Sooner or later I will finish watching The Tree Of Life. I am really looking forward to watching A Separation.

Hungary for cinema? Some great film makers from Hungary and their films:

Zoltan Fabri
Merry Go Round 1955
Professor Hannibal 1956
The Boys Of Paul Street 1969
Hungarians 1978

Miklos Jancso
My Way Home 1964
The Round Up 1965
The Red And The White 1968
Red Psalms 1971
The Lords Lantern In Budapest 1999

Zoltan Huszarik
Szindbad 1971
Csontvary 1980

Istvan Szabo
25 Fireman Street 1973
Budapest Tales 1976
Mephisto 1981
Colonel Redl 1985
Hannusen 1988
Sunshine 1999
Taking Sides 2001
Being Julia 2006

Karoly Makk
Love 1971
Cat's Play 1972
Another Way 1982
The Gambler 1997

Bela Tarr
Damnation 1988
Satantango 1994
Werckmeister Harmonies 2000
The Man From London 2007
The Turin Horse 2011

Last edited:
guys dnt miss a separation. i watched it today at Asian film fest. at ravindra natya mandir. its indeed a best flim of this year with the tree of life. other film which i liked at the festival were woman from the lake of scented souls, piravi, distant. will wright on a separation soon. today's last film of the festival was Tokyo story..

A separation
Friends I have watched the movie. No doubt it is very good. Brilliant direction and great theme.
But can't help the feeling that some elements are put in just for ensuring an Oscar. And I am sure that this will win the Oscars this year for the same reason that "The White Tiger" won the Man Booker Prize.

I just finished watching "4 months, 3 weeks and 2 days" (2007). This Romanian movie is the closest I've felt any 'modern' movie come to Bergman's work.

I can't recommend this movie highly enough. It is best to know nothing about it when watching it, to enjoy it best.

hydra

Christian Mungiu's 4 months, 3 weeks and 2 days is a superb film which could have been a hit with mainstream audiences. Unfortunately we seldom get to watch such films in movie halls. Some more recent films:

The secret of the grain/Abdel Kechiche/Tunisia/2007
A screaming man/Mahamet Saleh Haroun/Chad/2010
La vie en rose/Oliver Dahan/Belgium/2007
The diving bell and the butterfly/Julian Schnabel/Belgium/2007
Pure/Lisa Langseth/Sweden/2010
Sinestesia/Erik Bernasconi/Switzerland/2010
Kelin/Ermek Tursunov/Kazakhstan/2009
Home By Christmas/Gaylene Preston/New Zealand/2010
Soull Kitchen/Fatih Akin/Germany/2010
The Tree/Jorge Michel Gran/Mexico/2010
The Sicilian Girl/Marco Amenta/Italy/2009

Last edited:
The raison d'etre for this thread.

Cinema should be an eye through which we can glimpse distant lands and people. It should bring alive the vistas, stories, dreams, sounds and silences of our world. It should be a giant plane or a ship on which we can traverse the entire globe. I believe that constant movement and migration is life nurturing and stagnating in one place is poisonous. Mainstream cinema seeks to turn our world into a bland, anodized global village. It washes out the diversity, kinkiness, quirkiness and eccentricity, which is the hallmark of a unique identity. It renders everything flat and uniform. It dissects our world into twin compartments. A large, luxurious penthouse for the glitterati and celebrity and a small shack for the adoring masses who form their audience.

I just watched Jodaeiye Nader az Simin (2011) (a.k.a. A Separation)

I'm in awe. This is hands down the best movie I've watched this year. The absolute best.

Totally agree with you - stunning movie. Easily the best of last year.

Starts of a bit slow but after the first 10 minutes I was glued to my seat and couldn't move.

hydra

Christian Mungiu's 4 months, 3 weeks and 2 days is a superb film which could have been a hit with mainstream audiences. Unfortunately we seldom get to watch such films in movie halls. Some more recent films:

The secret of the grain/Abdel Kechiche/Tunisia/2007
A screaming man/Mahamet Saleh Haroun/Chad/2010
La vie en rose/Oliver Dahan/Belgium/2007
The diving bell and the butterfly/Julian Schnabel/Belgium/2007
Pure/Lisa Langseth/Sweden/2010
Sinestesia/Erik Bernasconi/Switzerland/2010
Kelin/Ermek Tursunov/Kazakhstan/2009
Home By Christmas/Gaylene Preston/New Zealand/2010
Soull Kitchen/Fatih Akin/Germany/2010
The Tree/Jorge Michel Gran/Mexico/2010
The Sicilian Girl/Marco Amenta/Italy/2009

Yes, I'm sure that 4 months, 3 weeks and 2 days would have appealed to the mainstream audiences too, had it got a more commercial release. I need to look for more of his films.

Thanks for that list. Of those, I've watched only two (La vie en rose and The Diving Bell and the Butterfly). I'll look for the other ones!

13 Assassins (??????, J?sannin no Shikaku) by Takashi Miike

One of the better movies I saw last year, a it gory though.

Cheers,

daZoy

Yes, _13 Assassins_ was pretty good. It was a bit gory, but that went with the spirit of the story. It was not like Takeshi Miike's usual movies, which are pretty much built around violence, gore and depravity. There were lots of homages to _Seven Samurai_!

I watched Take Shelter (2011) yesterday night.

It is in every way a modern classic, IMHO. It is an excellent movie about love, trust and relationship within a family, set in the framework of a story about a man consumed with fear about an impending storm, wracked with doubts about his own sanity, about his effort to protect his family from the storm, and about how his wife and society see and react to his (frantic) efforts.

His fear of the unpredictable is contrasted with his wife's fear of the predictable, about the special needs of their daughter and her treatment, and about what would happen if his paranoia upsets the delicate financial balance in their lives.

Michael Shannon and Jessica Chastain give very convincing performances. Jessica Chastain is going places, no doubt about that!

The buzz around The Artist is getting bigger and bigger. It is likely to build up to a frenzy on 26 Feb 2012 when (I normally avoid forecasting the future, but this time I will make an exception :) ) it probably wins the Best Picture Oscar at the 84th Academy awards.

It is not very often that a European film is widely screened all around the world. Life Is Beautiful (1997), Amelie (2001) and hopefully The Artist in 2011-2012. Directed by French film maker Michel Hazanavicius. Sarring Jean Dujardin and Berenice Bejo. And since it is a silent film it will probably be nominated for Best Picture rather than Best Foreign Language Film !

The Artist Trailer 2011 HD - YouTube

:)

The Associated Press: 'The Artist' earns best-picture, lead-actor Oscars

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back